Somalia and ethiopia living standards

It low-key just occurred to me but the average somali probably has a higher living standard than the avg ethiopian. Addis abba isn't even really that much bigger than mogadishu. So they don't even have just some giant citiy like in nigeria or the DRC that would create a bigger market for job opportunities. I think the 3,4,5 largest cities in the horn of africa after addis abba and mogadishu are all in somalia.

It low-key just occurred to me but the average somali probably has a higher living standard than the avg ethiopian. Addis abba isn't even really that much bigger than mogadishu. So they don't even have just some giant citiy like in nigeria or the DRC that would create a bigger market for job opportunities. I think the 3,4,5 largest cities in the horn of africa after addis abba and mogadishu are all in somalia.
Ethiopia is just Addis there’s nothing much over there

Addis Ababa is very developed despite being the same size as Mogadishu. Average citizen has a better life in that city but I agree with the rest of the country.

Addis Ababa is very developed despite being the same size as Mogadishu. Average citizen has a better life in that city but I agree with the rest of the country.
True especially with the last 2 decades where the chinese really beautified the city and improved the infrastructure. But it's surpinsgly a lot worse than my previous expectations. after I talked with some people and did a little digging.

Somali society is much more egalitarian and probably not as socially stratified as it is in Ethiopia. Most people who live in squalor in Somalia probably do so due to internal displacement from decades of war. In Ethiopia you will literally find people living in garbage dumps or landfills and building homes within such places. Such things are mostly unheard of in Somalia and mostly due to war and not prevailing economic conditions in a largely peaceful society.

I also think that the much shorter height of the average Ethiopian is a good indication of centuries of lower living standards compared to Somalis.

True especially with the last 2 decades where the chinese really beautified the city and improved the infrastructure. But it's surpinsgly a lot worse than my previous expectations. after I talked with some people and did a little digging.
Not at all. Abiy has put in work, although it doesn’t excuse the poor living conditions around the country.

One day I realized that I did not know of any cities in Ethiopia besides the capital city and the somali ones. I decided to look up the top 10 cities in Ethiopia and I found Jigjiga and Dir Dhabe there πŸ’€ You mean to tell me that two of the top 10 cities in Ethiopia are somali ?! (Dir Dhabe is a chartered city now but still). That’s the day I realized that ethiopian PR was unmatched.

Keep in mind that the somali region is the poorest region in Ethiopia, it has been under economic embargo for decades and has had little to no investment from the government until recently, much of what you see in those cities is done by local businessmen. So for somali cities to even be in the top 10 best/most populated cities in Ethiopia is *psychotic*.

Even Addis is not anything to brag about considering it was pretty much built with loans (that they can’t pay back), with large slums surrounding it.

One day I realized that I did not know of any cities in Ethiopia besides the capital city and the somali ones. I decided to look up the top 10 cities in Ethiopia and I found Jigjiga and Dir Dhabe there πŸ’€ You mean to tell me that two of the top 10 cities in Ethiopia are somali ?! (Dir Dhabe is a chartered city now but still). That’s the day I realized that ethiopian PR was unmatched.
I just looked up kenya too. They only have like two cities with a million people (nariobi and mombasa)

Honestly, all that's missing is good road networks and Somali cities would surpass cities like Bahir Dar in both population and appearance.

Population is not a good metric to judge cities in Amhara, Oromo, and Tigray regions, as they are largely agropasoralist/farming people's.

Most of their cities don’t have a big population. Where the hell do the rest of them live baan is iri, looked up the urbanization rate of Ethiopia, it was at 20% 😭 Imagine a country of more than a 100 million, 80% live as peasant farmers. Even Somalia has a higher rate, almost 50%.

Wax aa wadankaas ka qaldan. As in most people in the country are not even in contact with any civilization. I remember seeing a video of some cise boys in sitti, the somali men filming were asking what looked like young men which ’people’ they knew of, they responded ’ogaden, afar and oromo’. They asked them if there were other people in adunyada. He wasn’t even aware that other people existed. They even introduced them to bananas LOL, most of them were weirded out/disgusted by the taste & texture. Some of them were still rocking traditional hairstyles/clothing that somalis abandoned decades ago.

Most of their cities don’t have a big population. Where the hell do the rest of them live baan is iri, looked up the urbanization rate of Ethiopia, it was at 20% 😭 Imagine a country of more than a 100 million, 80% live as peasant farmers. Even Somalia has a higher rate, almost 50%.

Wax aa wadankaas ka qaldan. As in most people in the country are not even in contact with any civilization. I remember seeing a video of some cise boys in sitti, the somali men filming were asking what looked like young men which ’people’ they knew of, they responded ’ogaden, afar and oromo’. They asked them if there were other people in adunyada. He wasn’t even aware that other people existed. They even introduced them to bananas LOL, most of them were weirded out/disgusted by the taste & texture. Some of them were still rocking traditional hairstyles/clothing that somalis abandoned decades ago.
I remember that video, ate the banana with the skin on. :eminemdamn:

I saw that video :russ:

Those folks still live the traditional life of the Somali people of old times

I remember that video, ate the banana with the skin on. :eminemdamn:
The whole place is a zoo wallahi 😭 honestly if you compare most stats between Ethiopia and Somalia, we’re still doing better than them despite barely having a central government. Hell even the neglected somali region in Ethiopia that is poorer than many regions in Mainland Somalia is doing better than them, that’s why they’re flocking to their cities and not the other way around. You’d never seen somalis trying to move to another ethnic groups city in Ethiopia (except for Addis), but they stay moving to ours.

The whole place is a zoo wallahi 😭 honestly if you compare most stats between Ethiopia and Somalia, we’re still doing better than them despite barely having a central government. Hell even the neglected somali region in Ethiopia that is poorer than many regions in Mainland Somalia is doing better than them, that’s why they’re flocking to their cities and not the other way around. You’d never seen somalis trying to move to another ethnic groups city in Ethiopia (except for Addis), but they stay moving to ours.
I think Ethiopians due to their historic fuedal systems and kingdoms are more accepting of being subjugated at the lowest end of the economic ladder. Life in Ethiopia in general has always been less than egalitarian. Waa dad madax ka nool ah, the rest are just barely surviving. Why do you think they are all midgets lol?

Keep in mind that the somali region is the poorest region in Ethiopia, it has been under economic embargo for decades and has had little to no investment from the government until recently, much of what you see in those cities is done by local businessmen. So for somali cities to even be in the top 10 best/most populated cities in Ethiopia is *psychotic*.

Even Addis is not anything to brag about considering it was pretty much built with loans (that they can’t pay back), with large slums surrounding it.

It’s crazy how Ethiopians flock to Somali regions. First it was Harar, then dir dhaba and now jigjiga.

I did read a UN report that the standard of living in K5 was higher than any other region in Ethiopia. Which is crazy to say the least.

NidarNidar

β™šSargon of Adalβ™š
VIP
Somalis would have an even higher standard of living if that poisoned grass called Khat was banned. The fact that they normalise this drug, when it is akin to shooting up heroin is beyond me. Where the hell did this nasty practice from from anyway? Was it those Yemeni immigrants.
I agree with you in some key areas, khat is no were near heroin, you can actually quit khat, it's more of a gateway drug like weed, it being imported with alcohol and other drugs nowdays, it's also being sprayed with really cheap herbicides from China.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
2 weeks without Khat

Trending