Somalia's Historical Geographical Advantages over Sub-Saharan Africa: (Summary) Part 1

Idilinaa

Retired (Graduated)
I was asked to make this one last thread that i had planned, before i exit.

I shared this video to @Midas in another thread, but then i came to realize that many of the setbacks and geographical disadvantages underscored in this video for Sub-Saharan Africa does not apply to Somalia at all.

The historical development trend in Somalia is more similar to Northern Africa and Middle-East, especially from the early middle ages and onward.

You guys can read about the summary i gave in a thread i posted on how Somalia followed the same historical trend of agricultural revolution that happened in North Africa and Middle East: https://www.somalispot.com/threads/somali-agricultural-revolution-900-1600s.172550/

Basically i am going to argue that unlike other African countries, geography cannot be used to explain Somalia's under-development , or political and economic problems. I'll show this by describing how Somalis have historically been geographically advantageous in comparison to the rest of Sub Saharan Africa, everything i mention are advantages Somalis have exploited throughout history and in turn has shaped us and accrued us wealth.

Table of content:

1. Resources

2. Connectivity

3. Trade

4. Conclusions:

Last edited:

Idilinaa

Retired (Graduated)
Resources:

Unlike Kilwa and other African societies/kingdoms the bulk of Somali wealth didn't directly come from slave raiding the interior and surrounding population. Infact the interior was connected to the coast via caravan routes and was used for producing products, supplying raw materials, resources/food, transportation and for manufacturing. States/kingdoms taxed rural populous production and collected costume duties through trade goods passing through which directly accrued them wealth.

- Long Coastline: gave us marine resources such as (pearls, ambergis, fish, salt, coral, shells, dyes, and expensive pigment from mollusks). Somalia's coastline has extensive coral reefs. Coral was burned to make lime to whitewash our stone houses and to use as sement. Coral was also used to make jewlery. Our sea shore gave us copal, amber, coral, carnelian, glass etc we used to manufacture items and jewlery, for example rose water glass vases was a popular item Somali exported out.

-The river crossings, seasonal rivers and highlands: (shabelle, Juba , awash rivers/tributaries and northwest Somaliland/harrar highlands) provide for more arable grounds to produce surplus of various agricultural products (barley, wheat, chickpeas, daafi(teef), sorghum, coffee, millet,
On top of the tropical lowland climate made it suitable to cultivate mango's , dates, bananas, squash and sugar canes just mention the most popular fruits.
Our environment historically allowed for food surpluses, which in turn led to a non-agricultural work force, including a rurling class. Surplus crops and also form a tax base to support a central authority. This is contray to other Africans where the tetsy fly discouraged certain forms agricultural activity that allowed for this.

- The long pastures: that cover Somalia gave us abundant livestock (cows, sheep, goats, horses, donkeys and camels) , which gave us butter, pelts aka hide and skins (leather goods) , milk , meat, wool and fertilizer.

(Donkeys, horses and camels gave us transportation efficiencies as well). Lack of available pastures for grazing and disease prone climates like tetsy fly prevented this in other parts of Africa. Heck lack of livestock made certain Africans rely on and eat bushmeat.

- Mountain ranges: Which offered natural high elevated defenses but also bore extensive mines Somalis used to procure raw materials. There is evidence of mining, metal works in the Golis mountains, Harar highlands and in the Buur areas in the south with one city in Hobaad being a wealthy mining and manufacturing city.

- Hot and rocky landscape: , which has made it historically a hub for various spices , aromatics, and medicinal herbs (infact it could possible be argued that Somalia invented the spice trade)

- Geology: Somalia unlike other African countries has a geological landscape in many areas that allowed for available stone quarries that can be used for construction like limestone, granite and sandstone for building purposes and cement production. Whereas other African countries in many areas are characterized by laterite soils and sedimentary rock formations rather than extensive granite or limestone deposits and opted historically to use mud , adobe and timber are mostly available to them as building materials. Similar with Ethiopia their quarrying industry is not as developed as in Somalia, especially in rural areas. That's why the homes of Somalis are much better constructed than the slums you see prevail in different parts of Africa. Mentioned this another thread with examples: https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...-with-indian-slums.173349/page-2#post-4170103

- Woodlands : Availability of wood which is extensively cultivated along the northern Somali coastal plain. Somalis used to also export, transport timber for dhow/ship and boat construction and exported it also to Arabia. They also used it locally to construct houses with it and for roof making on brick and stone houses , you can read more about it here: Non-timber Uses of Selected Arid Zone Trees and Shrubs in Africa

All of what i listed above are clear resource advantages given to Somalis over other Africans due to our geography historically , it is made abundantly clear when you see the comparison to Oromo's who trend in the same way with other Africans: The eastern countries he describes as having ''a large heritage'' are Somalis.

This is a 1800s translated qoute describing the oromo petty kingdoms:

"The Galla kings have no budget, they do not have, as in some Eastern countries, a large heritage which keeps them alive; they can hardly hoard on the booty made in the field, because it must be distributed to the warriors. They must so resort to extraordinary resources, and this is the trafficking of children who provide them. Some, the most frank, receive a child tax in all families; others arrive at the same but by fines imposed as punishment for more or less serious offences real, and it is in children that the fine is paid. Such a chief is accused of conspiring against the prince (an absurd suspicion in a country where anyone who wants to seize power only has to mount a horse and call his followers), the children of the one suspected and those of his relatives, and the fact seems so natural that no revolt. These unfortunate people are sold in herds, at a low price and at cash, to the merchants from the north who come every year to tour the Galla kingdoms."

This is also true for Ethiopian Highlanders who would sell their own country men into slavery, to escape poverty, you see several examples of this with Tigray even and Afar. Because of Somali peoples mobility/fluidity and wide array of resources we never had to resort to this.

Kilwa sultanate that certain africanist brag about it as an example of Swahili/African civilization. Yet it slave raided the interior populations soo much that it depopulated whole areas and it literally operated like a coastal enclave, was not connected to any inland routes and its geography of mountains and thick forests limited inland access and therefore didn't have access to diverse products, outside of gold, slaves and ivory. It had no reliance on intermediaries as well. Not much different then the later Zanzibari sultanate, who followed the same historical trend minus the gold.

Last edited:

Idilinaa

Retired (Graduated)
Connectivity:

Somalia is characterized mostly by flatter gently rolling terrains like plains and plateaus which facilitate easier movement of people, goods, and ideas. This promotes greater interaction and integration among communities, leading to more cultural and linguistic uniformity over time. Somalis were in constant communication and contact with eachother over vast land and distances as much as we were also in constant contact with the world outside our lands. It not only resulted in creation trade networks but also familial bonds.

Whereas other Africans are separated from each-others by mountains, sahara desert, savannahs or thick forests, creating severe geographical boundaries where people develop distinct linguistic and culture differences in isolation. So it inhibited connection building, sharing of resources, technology , ideas etc
This is why Africans prior to the Arrival of Europeans were bunch of seperate isolated tribes and are broken into many different languages. They had very little to no contact with the outside world as well.

Therefore they have been the most insulated people from the rest of the human races and isolated people have always lagged behind the rest.

Idilinaa

Retired (Graduated)
Trade:

Somalia's strategic geography has historically provided significant trade advantages, particularly due to its location along the Horn of Africa, where the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean converge. This position made it a key point for maritime trade routes, especially from ancient times through the medieval period

It gaves us access to vast markets for exporting our goods and importing goods from outside, it also allowed for spread of knowledge and technology. Being able to covet the many benefits and wealth that came with our position.

Our mainland geography of plains and plateus allowed for vast internal trade networks to take form which led to multiple cities and towns at the intersections of those trade routes.

Unlike Subsaharan African countries: Somalia not only has a wide coastline but also good natural deep harbours that can accommodate large vessels and vessels of various sizes, such as Hafun, Bosaso, Berbera , Kismayo and Mogadishu etc . Which has effectively allowed for seaborn trade developments.

Trade development can be seen in the use of currency. Unlike the rest of Sub-Saharan Africa, Somalis for a considerably chunck of their history used both foreign and locally minted coins , rather than a strict reliance on a barter system.

Awfat/Awdal, was using coinage, it is also believed to have minted gold coins, southern Somalia was using coinage. Mogadishu minted coins from 800-1700s. Somalis continued to mint and use coinage up until the late 1800s from Harar. The minted coinage was used in wide circulation throughout the whole Somali inhabited areas even in used in the Northern Eastern coast.

Idilinaa

Retired (Graduated)
Conclusion:

People are quick to mention the semi-arid landscape of Somalia, i.e the lack rainfall as a disadvantage. But in reality that climate encouraged resourcefulness ,creativity and technological advances to overcome it which in turn contributed to heightened our intelligence and abundance.

You had to be adaptive and innovative to survive: irrigation methods, water harvesting systems, plant experiments (vavilov center: ), cattle or pack animal domestication and grain storage/trade systems etc Complex calendar systems and counting the seasons days and counting systems.

This qoute from the 1700s on Northern Somalia shows how we overcame the lack of rainfall.
''It seldom rains here; but the country is well watered by rivers and abounds with wheat, millet, frankinscense and pepper''
jbBCY4j.png

In the Eastern(Bari) Somalia where it's the most baren part of our land they circumvented the bad saline soil , to plant dates and large cities grew around it in the past. There is a thread on this: https://www.somalispot.com/threads/...ng-town-called-geesaleey.169920/#post-4102693

Also I have seen some try to use Somalis pastoralist leanings as a sort of a dunk or dismissal when in reality, in Somalia the pastoralists were far wealthier than agriculturalists and often times when they did farm, they combined it with livestock herding to maximize the benefit and yeild. Pastoral products yielded more wealth and fetched hire prices than agricultural grain products.

Infact throughout East Africa this was generally the case the Pastoralists were far wealthier and politically more dominant , take for example the Hutu and Tutsis.
Tutsis, being primarily pastoralists, had a more valuable place in Rwandan society than the agriculturalist Hutu,

This plays into the reason why there was such an attitude towards relying on solely farming and it's pure economical. Because it truly was economically inferior to pastoralism and also because it was seen as less sustainable, if you experience drought or a bad harvest, you are basically screwed , that is not true for someone who practice transhumance , the ability to move to another activity or keeps livestock.

Infact this is one of the main reasons why famines was rarer and less prevelant in historical Somalia than it was in Europe and Asia. Take for example Japan had multiple devistating famines, that occured in random bouts killing of tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Famines_in_Japan

In Europe it was even greater the average person, experiences 3 - 4 famines in their life time. It was soo bad they ended resorting to infanticide and cannibalism on a frequent basis
Famine was common during the Middle Ages with the average person seeing three to four famines during their lifetime.

Lastly contrary to what modern revisionists claim. Somalis historically did not use slaves to farm land, or keep slave plantations. In the Shabelle River we have direct sources mentioning ethnic Somali farming communities and no mentions of slaves used for farming. Infact we have refrences that all the slaves up until the 19th century were domestic ethiopians and not bantus slave farmers. There was no client cultivator relationship either.

In the north and in the western galbeed with the survival of several farming communities we see it is simply Somali pastoralists that cultivate the land and farm and they are not client cultivators. So the idea that we despise or adverse to farming completely unfounded. Historically both the north and the south farmed and herded livestock. Both regions had mobile pastoralists(not nomads) and agro-pastrolists(combined sedentary farming with livestock herding)

Last edited:
I was asked to make this one last thread that i had planned, before i exit.

I shared this video to @Midas in another thread, but then i came to realize that many of the setbacks and geographical disadvantages underscored in this video for Sub-Saharan Africa does not apply to Somalia at all.

The historical development trend in Somalia is more similar to Northern Africa and Middle-East, especially from the early middle ages and onward.

You guys can read about the summary i gave in a thread i posted on how Somalia followed the same historical trend of agricultural revolution that happened in North Africa and Middle East: https://www.somalispot.com/threads/somali-agricultural-revolution-900-1600s.172550/

Basically i am going to argue that unlike other African countries, geography cannot be used to explain Somalia's under-development , or political and economic problems. I'll show this by describing how Somalis have historically been geographically advantageous in comparison to the rest of Sub Saharan Africa, everything i mention are advantages Somalis have exploited throughout history and in turn has shaped us and accrued us wealth.

Table of content:

1. Resources

2. Connectivity

3. Trade

4. Conclusions:
1729198465952.jpeg

Somalis historically did not use slaves to farm land, or keep slave plantations
Interesting. Previously I found this from awsaleban667 who says 10% of southern Somalia's population was slaves back in the 1800s.
Slaves made up 10% (30,000 in a population of 300,000) of the total Population in southern Somalia and 3,800 families owned slaves. The average family owned 5-8 slaves. In the antebellum south slaves were about 3 million in a population of 30 million and 75% of White southerners held no slaves and only 10% held more than 5 slaves. While in Somalia nearly all slave holders held more than 5 slaves but only 8% (22,8000 approximately) of the population practiced slavery. This is only farmers not Nomads
View attachment 317138

Idilinaa

Retired (Graduated)
Interesting. Previously I found this from awsaleban667 who says 10% of southern Somalia's population was slaves back in the 1800s.

Yeah this is in the 19th century. Historically we didn't use plantation slaves before that global capitalist introduction by the Oman-Portuguese.

Mentioned this in another thread:
The legacy of Ethiopian slavery in Mogadishu is reflected on (Xabash) being synonymous with a slave and it's persistence in the southern dialects both on the benadiri coast and in the interriverine interior. Which still continue to call slaves Xabash.

PEIfFKU.png

Somali dictionary synonyms:
kSSU5iv.jpeg

I also remember reading that Portuguese mentioned Ethiopian slave in Mogadishu, but i can't really find where i read it.
So if anyone could help me out and find it, it will be good.

It will offer strong proof against the false notion that Southern Somalia had Bantu plantation slaves during the medieval period.

Idilinaa

Retired (Graduated)
Are you leaving for good or taking a break

I am leaving for life reasons. I am going to make Part 2 later touching on historical education, governance, diplomacy and military.

I am using these summary descriptions to show that Somalia's situation has nothing to do with the wider African disparity or something geographical or cultural and that it is tied to the geo-politics of the middle east and western zionists who empower a hostile neighboring enemy nation against us.

Our modern situation is geo-political. It has very little to do with clan(Qabilism) and zero to do with culture , lack of intelligence or geography. In fact if we factored in all of those things we should of the most wealthy and progressive country in the world, but we are being prevented by external forces.

Last edited:
I'll add that as evidence to the idea that we mainly exported various products, materials, foods and other resources instead of slaves, Somalis had a thriving textile industry which is proof enough of how diverse our economies were. Factories were also a thing and foreigners remarked how more industrious Somalis were compared to other Africans

1610916687357.png

TXvSfjc.png

1610916848480.png

20240807_143908.png

Idilinaa

Retired (Graduated)
I'll add that as evidence to the idea that we mainly exported various products, materials, foods and other resources instead of slaves, Somalis had a thriving textile industry which is proof enough of how diverse our economies were. Factories were also a thing and foreigners remarked how more industrious Somalis were compared to other Africans

View attachment 345822

View attachment 345823

View attachment 345824

View attachment 345825

I also covered it here in a qoute on Harar i shared some time ago as well: Remarking that the Somali population in that region were the most Industrious in East Africa
We still maintained as the most enterprising people in the region in our reduced state.

And the capital Harar survived because it was situated away from the coast in the interior near a self sustaining fertile land between upper Shabelle river tributaries between major trade routes and surrounded itself by a wall for protection.

French Voyage visitor in 1814 describes the landscape in the Horn: moving on from Axum and Gondar he says:

''But busiest and most important commercial route is the one which links the province of efat(Awat)-Argouba(Awgoba) to Harar, the central city of the country of Adel, inhabited by Saumalis(Somalis), and opens to the production of southern Abyssinia the maritime outlet of Barbara, through which they are exported from Africa''

The population of Harar is without a doubt the most industrious in East Africa, the one whose skills have been applied to commerce with the most success: the inhabitants of Harrar are even the real factors in the commerce of the part of Africa; they penetrate far''

MtBGEYZ.png

NM6qDGa.png

And also the Bari/Majerteen coast as well who was exporting a wide array of products:
The commercial activity in the past was significant this is documented. You can take Majerteen coast for example. They owned a dozen large merchant fleets called ''Dooni'' in Somali that was capable of carrying large cargo spread out across different ports and earned lot of revenue from seaborn trade.

KFSkIi0.png
Fishing via for example beden which means fishing-boat in Somali was particularly lucrative
CmhjQvE.png

These are two examples of both internal and sea born trade developments that was still significant and active in the 1800s. With abundant resources and products at our disposal.

There is no doubt we benefited immensely from our geography.

Last edited:
I am leaving for life reasons. I am going to make Part 2 later touching on historical education, governance, diplomacy and military.

I am using these summary descriptions to show that Somalia's situation has nothing to do with the wider African disparity or something geographical or cultural and that it is tied to the geo-politics of the middle east and western zionists who empower a hostile neighboring enemy nation against us.

Our modern situation is geo-political. It has very little to do with clan(Qabilism) and zero to do with culture , lack of intelligence or geography. In fact if we factored in all of those things we should of the most wealthy and progressive country in the world, but we are being prevented by external forces.
Great thread. I think a lot of the problem is that nobody has gathered any of these obvious historical sources. So the assumptions of a lot of the colonial period and pro ethiopia historiography have just never been challenged and people simply don't know the truth. I wasn't even aware that somalis were mining in the mountains becuase nothing I ever read mentioned. But it obviously makes sense when you think about it consider we had weapons and other metal implements and it couldn't have all been imported.

Come back soon

It's also funny how just like in the medieval period. Albeit slowly your seeing somali trade networks across all of east africa grow and it's in all types of industries. Transportation, construction, agricultural, livestock, etc. Plus even inside somalia your seeing a slow revival of archeture and tradtional practices like horse raising. Also it's just occurred to me people have on here over the last several years posted a bunch of videos of people creating their own little farms and gardens all over somalia. Just like in those euroepan sources.

Idilinaa

Retired (Graduated)
Great thread. I think a lot of the problem is that nobody has gathered any of these obvious historical sources. So the assumptions of a lot of the colonial period and pro ethiopia historiography have just never been challenged and people simply don't know the truth. I wasn't even aware that somalis were mining in the mountains becuase nothing I ever read mentioned. But it obviously makes sense when you think about it consider we had weapons and other metal implements and it couldn't have all been imported.

Come back soon

There is also a recency bias. They tend to project recent happenings after the civil war back in to the past and try to forge some historical basis for somethings that doesn't have any and is strictly linked to recent political turmoil.

For example piracy wasn't really a thing Somalis engaged in historically. It was rare in our waters, and common basically everywhere else in the world.

Piracy in the Horn of Africa Waters: Definitions, History, and Modern Causes

Throughout history, ocean piracy was common in different parts of the world, but it was rare in the Horn of Africa waters.

Our water was like a safe haven and people were routinely rescued and safeguarded. This is what typified us in contrast to the rest of the world.

This also gave us an advantage because it made people prefer to do trade and do business with us, increase rate of repeat customers.

Somalis even joined as sailors in world merchant marine's , patrolling the sea lanes as coast guards. So even in the modern period we were never drawn to piracy.

Last edited: