Someone who lives well below their means

They're generous with friends or family but just not themselves. You would think they're poor if you saw how they lived and dressed when in reality they might be the most well off person you know. Are they depressed or just don't care about materialism? Why work so hard for years to live like you're on welfare?

I don’t know if it’s a Somali thing but people who got some money get judged so hard for not spoiling with materialistic things to the point if it feels like they’re calling you cheap asf. I never understood. They should be applauded for not burning their money on superficials.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
They're generous with friends or family but just not themselves. You would think they're poor if you saw how they lived and dressed when in reality they might be the most well off person you know. Are they depressed or just don't care about materialism? Why work so hard for years to live like you're on welfare?

I'm not rich but an environmentalist against consumerism culture. I live below my "means" when it comes to what I wear and electronics. Some of my clothes and shoes I've own them for more than a decade. They were good quality brands to begin with so they still work, albeit look old and worn out from all the washing over the years. I've owned my phone for 8 years now and my laptop is 11 years old.

I simply refuse to replace my stuff until they stop working :)

Sa_Male

Laba Gob Kii Beer Jilicsan Baa Jaba
I'm not rich but an environmentalist against consumerism culture. I live below my "means" when it comes to what I wear and electronics. Some of my clothes and shoes I've own them for more than a decade. They were good quality brands to begin with so they still work, albeit look old and worn out from all the washing over the years. I've owned my phone for 8 years now and my laptop is 11 years old.

I simply refuse to replace my stuff until they stop working :)
If you'll only ever make a certain amount of money, saving possessions and excusing that abnormality by thinking you'll save money is pointless.
If you have the lacag and you'll never become a millionaire, you deserve what you can afford.
I'm always suspicious of people who withhold themselves from the better things that they can afford.
"I have this money but I don't spend it....."
SUS

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
If you'll only ever make a certain amount of money, saving possessions and excusing that abnormality by thinking you'll save money is pointless.
If you have the lacag and you'll never become a millionaire, you deserve what you can afford.
I'm always suspicious of people who withhold themselves from the better things that they can afford.
"I have this money but I don't spend it....."
SUS

I think the key is to find the balance between extravagance and miserliness. It seems OP's relative is generous to his family and friends but don't indulge themselves. I can relate because I gift my younger siblings clothes, iPhones etc but I can talk myself out of buying these things for me. I simply don't need all that clutter.

One thing I don't skimp on for myself is the food I eat. I care about eating clean healthy foods..

within reach family GIF by BESE

Sa_Male

I think the key is to find the balance between extravagance and miserliness. It seeems OP's relative is generous to his family and friends but not to themselves. I can relate because I gift my younger siblings clothes, iPhones etc but I can talk myself out of buying these things for me. I simply don't need all that clutter.

One thing I don't skimp on for myself is the food I eat. I care about eating clean healthy foods..

within reach family GIF by BESE
I agree about finding a balance, but what OP is talking about is mental illness.
Having money but never spending it on yourself is normally a sign of somebody trying to look holier than others, people are never what they appear because people are always fabricating their appearance.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I agree about finding a balance, but what OP is talking about is mental illness.
Having money but never spending it on yourself is normally a sign of somebody trying to look holier than others, people are never what they appear because people are always fabricating their appearance.

I won't rule out self loathing behavior, or he grew up in poverty so he's used to living below his means and now that he is rich, he doesn't have a need for these things himself.

However, unless he goes around mentioning and guilting his family and friends for his below means lifestyle, I wouldn't say he is trying to look holier than others but I agree, his generosity is not all altruistic. OP's relative is getting fulfillment and happiness by spending on others. So we could argue, he's selfless for selfish reasons? 🙃

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
@Sa_Male male

People are complex so it is hard to pinpoint one reason only as to why they do certain things. I've met old cadaan people who dress in old worn out jeans and brag about owning a bag for 20+years yet they also own $500k boat and go to expensive wilderness tours every year. We all spend money in what we consider is most important to us. Our looks, heath, family, life experiences, entertainment etc are all important to the average person. However, because of our different personalities, background and life experiences, we tend to prioritize and spend our money on some areas while ignoring others.

Sa_Male

I won't rule out self loathing behavior, or he grew up in poverty so he's used to living below his means and now that he is rich, he doesn't have a need for these things himself.

However, unless he goes around mentioning and guilting his family and friends for his below means lifestyle, I wouldn't say he is trying to look holier than others but I agree, his generosity is not all altruistic. OP's relative is getting fulfillment and happiness by spending on others. So we could argue, he's selfless for selfish reasons? 🙃
Nobody with wealth hates themselves, if this nigga is rich, then he didn't get it by being a self loathing nigga, I can get being used to ones old means but the rarity in that isn't a likely factor to me
To be honest, spending on others without spending on yourself is again, very very suspicious for too many reasons to explain.
These people are almost always master manipulators who use money as a tool to manipulate, and as a result, don't feel the need to spend on themselves.

Sa_Male

@Sa_Male male

People are complex so it is hard to pinpoint one reason only as to why they do certain things. I've met old cadaan people who dress in old worn out jeans and brag about owning a bag for 20+years yet they also own $500k boat and go to expensive wilderness tours every year. We all spend money in what we consider is most important to us. Our looks, heath, family, life experiences, entertainment etc are all of these are important to the average person. However, because of our different personalities, background and life experiences, we tend to prioritize and spend our money on some areas while ignoring others.
I can understand this, but overall having a lifestyle that doesn't match what you can afford has always been a suspicious character trait.

Normally rich people are more aware of their appearance and image a billion times more than others. That cadaan women is purposefully wearing f'ed up jeans, she knows everybody is wondering why, so why is she doing it? Perhaps because she's ill enough to want people to think she doesn't really value money, think nonchalant, and I'm always suspicious of nonchalant ppl

This is such an inversion, if we go along with this line of thought, does this mean that if you came across someone that had the Iphone 19 Max (one that was just released) you would rule them of as "well of" or even rich?

Back when I lived in London, I used to come across the above people, they were always broke, just one week away from missing rent but they had financed phones, financed cars, even financed veneers from Turkey. UK is well known for this "buy now, pay later" cancer.

I have had a "brick" phone for a long time now. It does the job, gives me my privacy, not to mention other things, such as the issue raised in this thread:
Imagine not knowing the joy of removing your battery...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I have been living in this village for some time now, its mostly pensioners and retirees, they all look like what you might consider "broke" but they all own their properties and are well of. Since living amongst them, I have come to appreciate their way of life even more. I have given away much of my crap, its only made me more self-reliant, portable and focused.

Despite what you, my mother or sister may jokingly say, I assure you, me or these people here, we are not "depressed". If I was a betting man, I would pile up all my capital, and in one pitch, bet on Londoners being far more "depressed" than these villagers. By the way, I believe, depression to be empty shrink talk.

I spend my money on my family, and invest back home for my future children. Am not pinching pennies either, I just dont have a need to be spending all the time, the marketeers, the gurus and the yappies were so thorough with your lot, that you think anyone that does not marvel at shiny packaging is sick
:russ:

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I can understand this, but overall having a lifestyle that doesn't match what you can afford has always been a suspicious character trait.

Normally rich people are more aware of their appearance and image a billion times more than others. That cadaan women is purposefully wearing f'ed up jeans, she knows everybody is wondering why, so why is she doing it? Perhaps because she's ill enough to want people to think she doesn't really value money, think nonchalant, and I'm always suspicious of nonchalant ppl

It is quite common to meet people like this in environmental spaces. They care about their carbon footprint so they try limit how much they consume when they can "avoid" it.

She's just a kind humble lady with an expensive hobby but hey, at least she's making an effort to reduce overconsumption in some areas of her life.. 😅

Sa_Male

This is such an inversion, if we go along with this line of thought, does this mean that if you came across someone that had the Iphone 19 Max (one that was just released) you would rule them of as "well of" or even rich?

Back when I lived in London, I used to come across the above people, they were always broke, just one week away from missing rent but they had financed phones, financed cars, even financed veneers from Turkey. UK is well known for this "buy now, pay later" cancer.

I have had a "brick" phone for a long time now. It does the job, gives me my privacy, not to mention other things, such as the issue raised in this thread:

I have been living in this village for some time now, its mostly pensioners and retirees, they all look like what you might consider "broke" but they all own their properties and are well of. Since living amongst them, I have come to appreciate their way of life even more. I have given away much of my crap, its only made me more self-reliant, portable and focused.

Despite what you, my mother or sister may jokingly say, I assure you, me or these people here, we are not "depressed". If I was a betting man, I would pile up all my capital, and in one pitch, bet on Londoners being far more "depressed" than these villagers. By the way, I believe, depression to be empty shrink talk.

I spend my money on my family, and invest back home for my future children. Am not pinching pennies either, I just dont have a need to be spending all the time, the marketeers, the gurus and the yappies were so thorough with your lot, that you think anyone that does not marvel at shiny packaging is sick
:russ:
Nigga I get it If your an old cadaan living in a village. But if your anybody else IM SUSPICIOUS

Sa_Male

It is quite common to meet people like this in environmental spaces. They care about their carbon footprint so they try limit how much they consume when they can "avoid" it.

She's just a kind humble lady with an expensive hobby but hey, at least she's making an effort to reduce overconsumption in some areas of her life.. 😅
You have a very unique profession. First halimo environmentalist I've ever heard of 🤔
Do you enjoy it much, I'm guessing you do because it probably doesn't pay much.
AAAAAH carbon footprint hypocrisy from the people who in theory have the fattest footprints, I can never take upper class cadaans seriously 🤦‍♂️

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
You have a very unique profession. First halimo environmentalist I've ever heard of 🤔

Thanks, there's few of us.

Do you enjoy it much, I'm guessing you do because it probably doesn't pay much.
AAAAAH carbon footprint hypocrisy from the people who in theory have the fattest footprints, I can never take upper class cadaans seriously 🤦‍♂️

I do. The pay is not the greatest but it pays in "experiences" ( That's the running joke of people in my field lol).

I myself see the hypocrisy but they are way better than influencers and celebrities plus their heart is in the right place..
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.