The truth: I'm a Yemeni Jew (ethnicity wise)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ded.gif

There is not any joke, read about the Jewish Yemeni trader from Aden that built city Djibouti, the joke is on you guys that don't know our history!!!!

More people need to claim their on merits rather than what their family and clan has accomplished. Its childish to claim other people's achievements. Thats some beta fuckery XD.

@McLovin
The Jewish community in Djibouti had never been large, numbering just a few hundred. It existed for about half a century, disbanding in 1948, just after the founding of the State of Israel. Like the Addis Ababa and Asmara communities, the community in Djibouti was founded by Adenite businessmen looking to expand their trade. Djibouti is a major port on the Red Sea and naturally attracted Adenite Jewish businessmen.

One of our acquaintances, Shalom Sion, who lives in London and travels to Addis Ababa frequently for business, has a personal connection to the extinct Jewish community of Djibouti. Sion’s maternal grandfather served as the last chief rabbi of the community.

The small Jewish cemetery in Asmara

A community building with a large Magen David evident on its crumbling facade is one of the few visible remnants of the former kehillah. The small Jewish cemetery, fenced off within the Christian cemetery in this predominantly Muslim country, seems to be cared for.

The poverty in the city of Djibouti, the only city in this small country, is astounding. While walking around the cemetery fence to find a way in, we came across a tiny hut consisting of a tin roof and tattered plastic sheets flapping in the wind. This makeshift tent, sitting on a hot spit of sand, was home to a family with three children in ragged clothes.

It is difficult to imagine that a Jewish community once existed here. The few Jews who still reside in Djibouti conceal their religion. In Djibouti, we met two great-grandsons of Adenite Jews who had lived in Asmara. They are first cousins, and both intermarried. They asked that we not use their names as they live in a Muslim country. One of them had memories of his grandfather keeping Shabbat.

What happened to the community in Djibouti? How come there is no Jewish community in Djibouti today? The Jews were neither expelled nor fled from persecution. The several-hundred-strong Adenite community had been raised on the Yemenite tradition of longing for the Land of Israel, and in 1948, when moving to Eretz Yisrael became a real option, the community made aliyah en masse.

Additionally, during Operation Magic Carpet, the Israeli government, in addition to airlifting the Yemenite community, also brought the small Jewish communities of Aden, Djibouti and Asmara to Israel. In fact, Sion Moshe, a ninety-year-old member of the Adenite community who spent his formative years in Djibouti–and currently lives in Holon, Israel–told us he recalled the day “a plane came from Aden and we all got on and flew to Israel.” Prior to moving to Israel, his father had served as the rabbi, chazzan, shochet and sofer of the Djibouti community.

Subsequent to the creation of Israel, the Adenites created a strong, vibrant community in the Holy Land. There are today Adenite shuls in a dozen Israel cities and a central organization (www.adencommunity.org) devoted to preserving their unique minhagim and passing them on to their children.

Rabbi Dr. Zivotofsky, a Jewish Action columnist, is on the faculty of the Brain Science Program at Bar-Ilan University in Israel. Dr. Greenspan is a US-trained dentist with a practice in Israel.

Rabbi Dr. Zivotofsky and Dr. Greenspan have spent over twenty years together collecting Jewish traditions from far-flung Jewish communities. More information on their research can be found at http://halachicadventures.com.

@McLovin
The Jewish community in Djibouti had never been large, numbering just a few hundred. It existed for about half a century, disbanding in 1948, just after the founding of the State of Israel. Like the Addis Ababa and Asmara communities, the community in Djibouti was founded by Adenite businessmen looking to expand their trade. Djibouti is a major port on the Red Sea and naturally attracted Adenite Jewish businessmen.

One of our acquaintances, Shalom Sion, who lives in London and travels to Addis Ababa frequently for business, has a personal connection to the extinct Jewish community of Djibouti. Sion’s maternal grandfather served as the last chief rabbi of the community.

The small Jewish cemetery in Asmara

A community building with a large Magen David evident on its crumbling facade is one of the few visible remnants of the former kehillah. The small Jewish cemetery, fenced off within the Christian cemetery in this predominantly Muslim country, seems to be cared for.

The poverty in the city of Djibouti, the only city in this small country, is astounding. While walking around the cemetery fence to find a way in, we came across a tiny hut consisting of a tin roof and tattered plastic sheets flapping in the wind. This makeshift tent, sitting on a hot spit of sand, was home to a family with three children in ragged clothes.

It is difficult to imagine that a Jewish community once existed here. The few Jews who still reside in Djibouti conceal their religion. In Djibouti, we met two great-grandsons of Adenite Jews who had lived in Asmara. They are first cousins, and both intermarried. They asked that we not use their names as they live in a Muslim country. One of them had memories of his grandfather keeping Shabbat.

What happened to the community in Djibouti? How come there is no Jewish community in Djibouti today? The Jews were neither expelled nor fled from persecution. The several-hundred-strong Adenite community had been raised on the Yemenite tradition of longing for the Land of Israel, and in 1948, when moving to Eretz Yisrael became a real option, the community made aliyah en masse.

Additionally, during Operation Magic Carpet, the Israeli government, in addition to airlifting the Yemenite community, also brought the small Jewish communities of Aden, Djibouti and Asmara to Israel. In fact, Sion Moshe, a ninety-year-old member of the Adenite community who spent his formative years in Djibouti–and currently lives in Holon, Israel–told us he recalled the day “a plane came from Aden and we all got on and flew to Israel.” Prior to moving to Israel, his father had served as the rabbi, chazzan, shochet and sofer of the Djibouti community.

Subsequent to the creation of Israel, the Adenites created a strong, vibrant community in the Holy Land. There are today Adenite shuls in a dozen Israel cities and a central organization (www.adencommunity.org) devoted to preserving their unique minhagim and passing them on to their children.

Rabbi Dr. Zivotofsky, a Jewish Action columnist, is on the faculty of the Brain Science Program at Bar-Ilan University in Israel. Dr. Greenspan is a US-trained dentist with a practice in Israel.

Rabbi Dr. Zivotofsky and Dr. Greenspan have spent over twenty years together collecting Jewish traditions from far-flung Jewish communities. More information on their research can be found at http://halachicadventures.com.
giphy.gif

@Layth Youre welcome into the Reer Xamar and the Somali family anyways :salute:

Mogadishu is a historic and diverse city and should remain as such. My father even knew many Yemenis growing up there

Now wallahi I didn't mean to mislead my brothers and sisters. Some have caught on a long time ago. I was adopted by Reer Xamar parents who I no longer live with. I appreciate their good treatment towards me and the fact that they see me as one of them, but it's time to come out. An eagle cannot live all of its life pretending to be a (enter another type of bird). I'm touched by the ahadith that warn against claiming a people you're not from. I'm not the only Yemeni Jew, wallahi there were a few families. The 'Amraani numbered no more than 1,000 in Xamar. Some have converted alxamdulilah while others haven't. For example: http://jewishrefugees.blogspot.co.uk/2007/07/abraham-blogger-only-jew-in-somalia.html

I liked claiming Benadiri Arab, but this is the end of the road for me in that regard. It's no surprise I'm have Yemeni citizenship and have no plans to return to Xamar. If I do, it would mainly be to open a business; perhaps one in Hargeisa or Gaalkacyo too.

I've disclosed this information to a Barawani family that was close to me and they shunned me. It's why I keep it a secret. It's why the Amraani ask Benadiri families for sheegad status but some people have been misled into believing certain clans are Jews. For example our brother here: https://www.somnet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=169795&start=15

I still don't support Israel though. I also live in Huddersfield, UK but I claimed other areas because of the Benadiri population there.

I once proposed to a Benadiri girl but it didn’t go right. Her family inquired regarding what family I’m from, when I told them, they were delighted (told them the family of my foster parents). But then when they found out I’m a foster son and the sub-clan is not legit a Benadiri Arab one, they rejected my proposal. I decided to not disclose the truth about my origins to any girl that I’d want to marry for this reason, but then I thought that’s kind of deceptive.

The truth is, I'm an outcast wherever I go. Islam is the only identity I have. No community on the planet would accept me, not even Benadiri. But there’s no point in pretending to be something that I’m not. I don’t care about acceptance from people tbh, I ride alone.

giphy.gif

Entire Somali Clan is of Jewish descent. Yibirs Namely. Besides, 25% of Sephardic Jews carry similar DNA haplogroup to Somalis. They have common ancestry. You are as somali and as Yemeni and Jewish as you can get bro. There is no blame in being jewish by ethnicity either. Somalis confuse faith with ethnicity. Famous jewish Muslim was Prophet Mohamed's companion whom he admired. Abdullahi ibnu salam was his name if I am not mistaken. He was the leader and a scholar of the jews of Medina. He asked the prophet questions to verify his prophecy. When the answers matched to what he read from his Torah studies. He became a Muslim.

A jewish Muslim, non-Jewish Muslim, nothing is wrong with being a Jew. It is like being Somali. You hold special place in Islam honestly. You are the people of the prophets and you kept the tradition through inheritance. Lucky Bastard. What is there to be disappointed about? Somalis are ignorant of the religion they claim they follow anyways.

PS: OLDest ethnic groups Somalis included in the north and east Africa, Yemen and Ethiopia were dark skinned. Including Jews from there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.