This is just a test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madara x

Sleep soundly
I don't know if i should cry or be excited.

Somali people have their own alphabet? WTF !!!!!!!

WHY the f*ck is this shit not known? I've never heard of this shit before.

How can i learn to read and write in this language? Are there any books or resources for learning?

How can i learn to read and write in this language? Are there any books or resources for learning?
There have been several scripts for AfSoomaali, including variants of the Arabic script and the Latin script we have now

Only a few books. After 20,000 people started learning it was denied in becoming the official script.

Ancient Somali merchants would write in Arabic script to pronounce Somali words, even Swahili was scripted in Arabic through the commerce in Zanzibar.

Only 37.8% of Somalis are literate right now, the script would be useful to learn, but for now it's a novelty.

There have been several scripts for AfSoomaali, including variants of the Arabic script and the Latin script we have now

Wadad script was Arabic and not Somali.

But if only 37% of Somalis are in literate in 2016, what do you think literacy rates were in 1200AD?

Being literate automatically made you an Aristocrat.

maestro

Cultural revolution

Actually There were like 5 Somali scripts this is only one of them but it was the most popular. It almost became our official script but Barre chose Latin because it made things convenient since it was easy to learn and made a gateway to learning other important Latin based strategic languages like English French and Spanish.

Also the technologies from the west being in Latin made it easier to understand and be used by the common people.

Madara x

Sleep soundly
Only a few books. After 20,000 people started learning it was denied in becoming the official script.

Ancient Somali merchants would write in Arabic script to pronounce Somali words, even Swahili was scripted in Arabic through the commerce in Zanzibar.

Only 37.8% of Somalis are literate right now, the script would be useful to learn, but for now it's a novelty.

So brother can you direct me towards some of these books?

The fact that our own alphabet is virtually unknown to us is scary.

Madara x

Sleep soundly
Actually There were like 5 Somali scripts this is only one of them but it was the most popular. It almost became our official script but Barre chose Latin because it made things convenient since it was easy to learn and made a gateway to learning other important Latin based strategic languages like English French and Spanish.

Also the technologies from the west being in Latin made it easier to understand and be used by the common people.

So we adopted the tongue of our colonizers because they controlled the world, and we totally forgot and abandoned our own alphabets?

This kinda stuff make me angry.

The people who directed their life force towards developing this alphabet system are turning in their graves.

maestro

Cultural revolution
Wallahi this Osmaniya script is genius and perfect for Somali. I wrote almost an entire page on paper in it and it just fits so well with Somali all the vowels and sounds are perfect . It's 1 billion times more easier to write in Somali with it than Latin and I believe it will greatly improve literacy rates.

When you compare the two you'll clearly see how awkward ugly and unnatural Somali looks on Latin. Somali was simply not meant for Latin!! All other major Afro Asiatic languages have their own synchronized scripts that respect the nature of their language including Berber. I can't see why we don't use our own script that fits the nature of our language.

Even if it's not Osmani we can make another one like it that fits the nature of the Somali language and respects all the different vowels and sounds

So we adopted the tongue of our colonizers because they controlled the world, and we totally forgot and abandoned our own alphabets?

The people who directed their life force towards developing this alphabet system are turning in their graves.
You need to calm down. A script is a script, not the language itself. We adopted Latin because it was determined out of several tests to be a better choice than Kaddare, Borama, FarSoomaali and Wadaad (Arabic script)

You're getting unnessecary emotional

maestro

Cultural revolution

dont worry. Maybe in the future we'll readopt a native script and get rid of this horrendous Latin version

Somalis love to place blame and never take accountability; this disease started after the war and it's been rampant ever since.

WE KILLED THE SCRIPT!

Colonizers have nothing to do with it. After this script a 50 years later other Qabils started writing their own scripts. But this was the most widely used script.

Right now it sits on the shelf of memory. I'm working on a project to bring it back into the Arts.

Would you buy a clock with these numbers on it?

Wallahi this Osmaniya script is genius and perfect for Somali. I wrote almost an entire page on paper in it and it just fits so well with Somali all the vowels and sounds are perfect . It's 1 billion times more easier to write in Somali with it than Latin and I believe it will greatly improve literacy rates.

When you compare the two you'll clearly see how awkward ugly and unnatural Somali looks on Latin. Somali was simply not meant for Latin!! All other major Afro Asiatic languages have their own synchronized scripts that respect the nature of their language including Berber. I can't see why we don't use our own script that fits the nature of our language.

Even if it's not Osmani we can make another one like it that fits the nature of the Somali language and respects all the different vowels and sounds

The English Alphabet has been tweeked for centuries. They added vowels and other letters in the 16th century.

At this point I can only see Puntland using this script for books and poetry and other things associated with the arts.

If anything people will right confidential letters with it.

But, the words "Revival and Implement" can carry a negative backlash.
If millennials especially from the despora introduce it into the Arts, this will get the conversation rolling.

Keep your script alive and stop being Politically correct.

My friends told me I'm Qabilist for creating visual content around this script.
I support keeping Somali scripts alive, but i'm skeptical of actually implementing them

And qabiil should be separated from things meant for all Somalis, which is what Isman intended with his script. If only Puntland adopts this script, in some capacity, it will limit it's pansomali appeal as it'll be seen as a PL-thing only from the outside, and will be hijacked as a Puntland only thing on the inside by qabilists/fanatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.