Time line of the history of Mogadishu, a multiethnic city.

Som

VIP
I'm a very interested in somali history but this forum is sometimes confusing.
On one hand somalis deny or minimize arab presence in Mogadishu but on the other hand so many biased people claim that Mogadishu was an arab city with little or nothing to do with somalis.
The truth is always in the middle, from most sources it seems mogadishu was and still is a multiethnic city inhabited by arabs, somalis and persians .
This is my short timeline of Mogadishu's history according to my understanding of the available evidence. I'm an amateur and don't want to upset anyone, feel free to correct me and let me know if you agree with my analysis.

- 2nd century AD , Sarapion is mentioned by greek geographers. Scholars place ancient sarapion between modern day Mogadishu and Warsheikh. The coast of somalia was inhabited by barbaroi(barbarians in greek) but not much is said about their identity.
-9th-10th century. Arabs and persians settled in what is now Mogadishu and founded the city.
12th century. Al idrisi mentions the Hawiye in Merca for the first time . This proofs somalis already lived on the coast.
-12th century ibn Sa'id mentions Merca as the capital of the Hawiye country. Mote evidence of somali presence south of Mogadishu.
-13th century Yaqut Hamawi mentions Merca as a city inhabited by black berbers.
-13th century Hamawi mentions Mogadishu as a city inhabited by dark skinned people but says blacks aren not the majority
-14th century Ibn Battuta visits Mogadishu, the sultan is described as a berber who spoke both arabic and "mogadishan".. This is the first sources suggesting a somali ruled over Mogadishu.
-15th century Vasco da Gama visits the Mogadishu and describes it as a moorish city inhabited by tawny, black and white skinned people. This means Mogadishu was probably a multiethnic city with arabs, somalis and maybe bantus.
-16th century other Portuguese sources mention blacks living in Mogadishu.
-Late 16th - early 17th century . Mogadishu starts to decline , omanis occupy the city for a brief period but leave shortly after. Portuguese try to establish a stable presence in Mogadishu, Barawe and Merca but fail.
-17th century Mogadishu is captured by Hawiyes who defeated the Ajuuran and the muzzafar(arab or mixed dinasy).
-From the late 17th century the city started to become more somalized and arabs(cadcads) lost most of their power.
-17th century An ottoman explorer Evliya Celebis(died in 1682) describes Mogadishu as a city of merchants with a strong nomadic carachter.
He describes the people as practicing muslims who speak arabic and a strange local dialect.
-18th century, Hawiyes become imams of the city but arabs are still allowed to nominate Qadi. Present day benadiri clans change their arabic names to somali ones.
It's pretty unique because arabs in most cases in Africa arabs arabize locals , but in this case arabs have been somalised.
- mid 19th century Omanis from Zanzibar start to get interested in the city which is ruled by them untill the arrival of the italians.
The rest is recent history.

My conclusion is that Mogadishu was predominantly arab untill at least the 12th-13th century, then it became mixed Arab-Somali and stayed like that until the 17-18th centruy. In 1700s mogadishu becase somalized and started to resemble the ethnic composition of today.
The only question left unanswered it the identity of the arabs. Benadiris are their descendants but they have a lot of somali blood. I don't know whether somalis and benadiris mixed before the arrival of the hawiye imamate or if the so called arabs were already mixed in the middle ages.
Anyway it's inaccurate to say Mogadishu was exclusively somali but it's also wrong to assume it was an only arab-persian enclave.
The sources are easily available online.
I used the cambridge history of africa volume 3.
Ottoman explorations of the Nile by Evilya Çelebi
And other sources.

I'm a very interested in somali history but this forum is sometimes confusing.
On one hand somalis deny or minimize arab presence in Mogadishu but on the other hand so many biased people claim that Mogadishu was an arab city with little or nothing to do with somalis.
The truth is always in the middle, from most sources it seems mogadishu was and still is a multiethnic city inhabited by arabs, somalis and persians .
This is my short timeline of Mogadishu's history according to my understanding of the available evidence. I'm an amateur and don't want to upset anyone, feel free to correct me and let me know if you agree with my analysis.

- 2nd century AD , Sarapion is mentioned by greek geographers. Scholars place ancient sarapion between modern day Mogadishu and Warsheikh. The coast of somalia was inhabited by barbaroi(barbarians in greek) but not much is said about their identity.
-9th-10th century. Arabs and persians settled in what is now Mogadishu and founded the city.
12th century. Al idrisi mentions the Hawiye in Merca for the first time . This proofs somalis already lived on the coast.
-12th century ibn Sa'id mentions Merca as the capital of the Hawiye country. Mote evidence of somali presence south of Mogadishu.
-13th century Yaqut Hamawi mentions Merca as a city inhabited by black berbers.
-13th century Hamawi mentions Mogadishu as a city inhabited by dark skinned people but says blacks aren not the majority
-14th century Ibn Battuta visits Mogadishu, the sultan is described as a berber who spoke both arabic and "mogadishan".. This is the first sources suggesting a somali ruled over Mogadishu.
-15th century Vasco da Gama visits the Mogadishu and describes it as a moorish city inhabited by tawny, black and white skinned people. This means Mogadishu was probably a multiethnic city with arabs, somalis and maybe bantus.
-16th century other Portuguese sources mention blacks living in Mogadishu.
-Late 16th - early 17th century . Mogadishu starts to decline , omanis occupy the city for a brief period but leave shortly after. Portuguese try to establish a stable presence in Mogadishu, Barawe and Merca but fail.
-17th century Mogadishu is captured by Hawiyes who defeated the Ajuuran and the muzzafar(arab or mixed dinasy).
-From the late 17th century the city started to become more somalized and arabs(cadcads) lost most of their power.
-17th century An ottoman explorer Evliya Celebis(died in 1682) describes Mogadishu as a city of merchants with a strong nomadic carachter.
He describes the people as practicing muslims who speak arabic and a strange local dialect.
-18th century, Hawiyes become imams of the city but arabs are still allowed to nominate Qadi. Present day benadiri clans change their arabic names to somali ones.
It's pretty unique because arabs in most cases in Africa arabs arabize locals , but in this case arabs have been somalised.
- mid 19th century Omanis from Zanzibar start to get interested in the city which is ruled by them untill the arrival of the italians.
The rest is recent history.

My conclusion is that Mogadishu was predominantly arab untill at least the 12th-13th century, then it became mixed Arab-Somali and stayed like that until the 17-18th centruy. In 1700s mogadishu becase somalized and started to resemble the ethnic composition of today.
The only question left unanswered it the identity of the arabs. Benadiris are their descendants but they have a lot of somali blood. I don't know whether somalis and benadiris mixed before the arrival of the hawiye imamate or if the so called arabs were already mixed in the middle ages.
Anyway it's inaccurate to say Mogadishu was exclusively somali but it's also wrong to assume it was an only arab-persian enclave.
The sources are easily available online.
I used the cambridge history of africa volume 3.
Ottoman explorations of the Nile by Evilya Çelebi
And other sources.

Chittick is worth reading (now free online) but disagrees with several of your points.

What do you think about James Dahls theory?

BANAADIR, HIMYAR, MUQDISHO
WHEN HIMYAR RULED THE BANAADIR

Muqdisho is a very old city, older than most people even realize. The first dynasty to rule Muqdisho was the Tubba’ dynasty of the Himyar kingdom, with the king “Ascad Karb“. Ascad Karb is most likely As’ad Abu-Karib ibn Malik-karib, a king of Yemen who ruled between 418 and 433 CE and a convert to Judaism by Yathrib’s Jewish community following a military campaign there, this dates the foundation of the old town of Xamar Weyne to roughly 420-430 CE.

The area of Banaadir (the traditional region including Muqdisho, Baraawe, Marka and other coastal cities) is described in the Greek document the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea (written around the year 460 CE) as part of “Azania“, a region subject to Charibael of the Homerites (who can be identified with ‘Amir Sharahbil Ya’fir ibn As’ad Abu Karib, the son of the aforementioned king), so the Muqdisho tradition is backed up with documentary evidence. Sharahbil was a Christian, as was his branch of the Tubba’ family, and the religious differences in the country of Himyar would seal the doom of the nation.

Himyar was in this time the strongest state in Arabia, and they would remain a strong state for nearly a century, but on the death of ‘Amir Sharahbil’s son Ma’adi’Karib Yan’um ibn Sharahbil in 516, Himyar faced religious turmoil as Christians and Jews fought murderous battles. A Jewish zealot and member of the Tubba’ dynasty named Yusuf Asar Yathar (better known as Dhu Nuways) seized the throne in 518 attacked and butchered the Christians of Najran (the martyrs of Najran are mentioned in the Qu’ran in Surat al-Buruj). The slaughter shocked the Christian nations of the time, and the Christian Emperor of Aksum, Negusa Negast Kaleb Ella Atzbeha invaded Himyar in 522 and conquered their lands in Yemen in 525. Other lands under the Tubba’ dynasty were not conquered and fought a long resistance against the kingdom of Aksum.

One member of the Tubba’ dynasty, Sharah’il Ya’abul (known as “Dhu Yazan“) petitioned the king of the Sassanid dynasty of Iran to help him drive the Aksumites from Yemen, and Shahenshah Khosrau was only too happy to oblige. An Iranian army under General Vahriz invaded Yemen in 577 and were victorious, but the Himyarites were only successful in replacing one occupier with another, as the Sassanids ruled in all but name. His son Sayf Abu Murrah ibn Dhu Yazan would succeed him in 587 but he was murdered by the Sassanids in 608 and Yemen was annexed into the Sassanid Empire.

It is possible that a branch of the Tubba’ dynasty then established itself in Muqdisho. There are mentions of Shingani being founded by a “Shingan ibn Hami ibn Ma’adi-Karib”, who could have been either the aforementioned Ma’adi-Karib or another Ma’adi-Karib who was another son of Sharahbil.

Islam arrived in Muqdisho shortly after the Hijra, and became a city within the Ummayad Caliphate 77 years after the Hijra or 696 CE, thus definitively bringing to a close the Himyar Era.

Som

VIP

Muqdisho is a very old city, older than most people even realize. The first dynasty to rule Muqdisho was the Tubba’ dynasty of the Himyar kingdom, with the king “Ascad Karb“. Ascad Karb is most likely As’ad Abu-Karib ibn Malik-karib, a king of Yemen who ruled between 418 and 433 CE and a convert to Judaism by Yathrib’s Jewish community following a military campaign there, this dates the foundation of the old town of Xamar Weyne to roughly 420-430 CE.

The area of Banaadir (the traditional region including Muqdisho, Baraawe, Marka and other coastal cities) is described in the Greek document the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea (written around the year 460 CE) as part of “Azania“, a region subject to Charibael of the Homerites (who can be identified with ‘Amir Sharahbil Ya’fir ibn As’ad Abu Karib, the son of the aforementioned king), so the Muqdisho tradition is backed up with documentary evidence. Sharahbil was a Christian, as was his branch of the Tubba’ family, and the religious differences in the country of Himyar would seal the doom of the nation.

Himyar was in this time the strongest state in Arabia, and they would remain a strong state for nearly a century, but on the death of ‘Amir Sharahbil’s son Ma’adi’Karib Yan’um ibn Sharahbil in 516, Himyar faced religious turmoil as Christians and Jews fought murderous battles. A Jewish zealot and member of the Tubba’ dynasty named Yusuf Asar Yathar (better known as Dhu Nuways) seized the throne in 518 attacked and butchered the Christians of Najran (the martyrs of Najran are mentioned in the Qu’ran in Surat al-Buruj). The slaughter shocked the Christian nations of the time, and the Christian Emperor of Aksum, Negusa Negast Kaleb Ella Atzbeha invaded Himyar in 522 and conquered their lands in Yemen in 525. Other lands under the Tubba’ dynasty were not conquered and fought a long resistance against the kingdom of Aksum.

One member of the Tubba’ dynasty, Sharah’il Ya’abul (known as “Dhu Yazan“) petitioned the king of the Sassanid dynasty of Iran to help him drive the Aksumites from Yemen, and Shahenshah Khosrau was only too happy to oblige. An Iranian army under General Vahriz invaded Yemen in 577 and were victorious, but the Himyarites were only successful in replacing one occupier with another, as the Sassanids ruled in all but name. His son Sayf Abu Murrah ibn Dhu Yazan would succeed him in 587 but he was murdered by the Sassanids in 608 and Yemen was annexed into the Sassanid Empire.

It is possible that a branch of the Tubba’ dynasty then established itself in Muqdisho. There are mentions of Shingani being founded by a “Shingan ibn Hami ibn Ma’adi-Karib”, who could have been either the aforementioned Ma’adi-Karib or another Ma’adi-Karib who was another son of Sharahbil.

Islam arrived in Muqdisho shortly after the Hijra, and became a city within the Ummayad Caliphate 77 years after the Hijra or 696 CE, thus definitively bringing to a close the Himyar Era.

Himyarites definetly had some business there but i would label Mogadishu as a hymarite city.
Hymarite didn't leave much traces , and arabs who settled in xamar never mentioned them. Foreigners such as arabs left a genetic trace(benadiris) , if xamar was hymarite for over 5 centuries before the arrival of the first arabs we would certainly have some traces among southern somalis but the admixture in benadiris dates back to islam.
The hymarite sabean influence I likely, but I wouldn't say they founded the city

If it states that the Yemeni king ruled in Muqdisho then isn't it already a fact?

Som

VIP
It was indeed, it was one of the most important Somali city states.

Now we have ppl who say the city was Arab or Jewish. Before they tried to claim Aw Barkhadle was Arab :snoop:

Unfortunately one of the main problems of somali history is the lack of written indigenous sources.
We only have other people talking about us.
Most sources suggest that somalis slowly entered in contact with the arab settlement but there is not much evidence we ruled the city before ibn battuta mentioned the berber sultan who spoke "mogadishian".
Even after that the muzzafar dynasty who ruled the city was arab.
By the way Aw barkhadle is often mentioned as a Sharif from Arabia, some scholars say "somali saint" but many other sources identify him as an arab.
I'm ready to change my mind if you have other evidence. I'm not hear to argue , I genuinely want to get more information

@Samaalic Era @embarassing

Let's use our common sense here. All those ancient cities like Sarapions, Mosylon, etc were all located at the coast or in the surrounding area...ALL of those ancient cities. Heck, one of them was located on a couple islands close to the coast but I can't remember its name.

It's pretty obvious these were fereign coastal market towns and trade powerhouses. Nomads couldn't have operated these and it wouldn't make sense for Somali nomads to be traders and then revert to simple nomads....these coastal towns were most likely monopolised by the Himyarites and other foreign empires, as the above posts suggest; Cerulli along with others already presented their evidence that those cities were first settled by Arabs.

Pretty sure Proto Somalis didn't even occupy the whole country at the time as well.

Unfortunately one of the main problems of somali history is the lack of written indigenous sources.
We only have other people talking about us.
Most sources suggest that somalis slowly entered in contact with the arab settlement but there is not much evidence we ruled the city before ibn battuta mentioned the berber sultan who spoke "mogadishian".
Even after that the muzzafar dynasty who ruled the city was arab.
By the way Aw barkhadle is often mentioned as a Sharif from Arabia, some scholars say "somali saint" but many other sources identify him as an arab.
I'm ready to change my mind if you have other evidence. I'm not hear to argue , I genuinely want to get more information
Sada Mire even calls Aw Kawneyn (Aw Barkhadle) an Arab imam in her book and that he didn't have anything to do with the Walashma. Even Maldivian tradition says he was an Arab.

The fact that he taught a Maliki school of thought in the Maldives is a dead giveaway. If he was from the horn or Zeila he would've been Shafi at the time. Most likely he was a north African Abaasid, which makes sense considering some sources call him 'Berber'

Som

VIP

Chittick is worth reading (now free online) but disagrees with several of your points.
Interesting.
I agree with the first part that mentioned the Arab origins of Mogadishu.
I knew that Cerulli believed the sultan of Mogadishu was bantu and that the area was inhabited by swahili like bantus but it seems unlikely to me.
Bantus in somalia are mainly not-swahili (except bajunis) no swahili like dialect has survived in Mogadishu. Ibn battuta says the sultan was of "barbara" which indicates he wasn't a bantu, ibn battuta never used the word zanj. To my understanding arabs knew the difference between zanj(bantus), berbers(cushitic peoples) and abyssinians.

Som

VIP
Last edited:

Som

VIP
@Som and @Farabuuto ,you both are foreign trolls.

Not even western academics contest Aw Barkhadle who was Dir

I've read papers calling him Sharif which means he was a descendant of the prophet.
This may also be a religious claim like many other among somalis, as I said I'm ready to change my mind.
I've never read non somali sources mention his clan, he was always mentioned as either somali, arab or sharif(which could also mean somali who traces his lineage to the prophet)

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
@Som and @Farabuuto ,you both are foreign trolls.

Not even western academics contest Aw Barkhadle who was Dir
funny thing is the benediri community migrated to powerfull somali sultanates the ajuraans in the 1500s and adopted the somali language and culture if arabs founded mogadishu then the somali immigrants to the city would speak arabic and adopt to the dominant arab culture which didnt happen

either way mogadishu has been somali since the time of the city states even the romans and greeks called the inhabitants dark skinned berbers its all written and recorded history

madaxweyne

madaxweyne
VIP
I've read papers calling him Sharif which means he was a descendant of the prophet.
This may also be a religious claim like many other among somalis, as I said I'm ready to change my mind.
I've never read non somali sources mention his clan, he was always mentioned as either somali, arab or sharif(which could also mean somali who traces his lineage to the prophet)
the man was somali from zeila stop the historical revisionism bro hes even mentioned in somali and arab sources as a somali

either report some real history or get out of here man we dont need some troll material in the history section:camby:

Som

VIP
funny thing is the benediri community migrated to powerfull somali sultanates the ajuraans in the 1500s and adopted the somali language and culture if arabs founded mogadishu and somali immigrants to the city to speak arabic and adopt to the dominant arab culture which didnt happen

either way their mogadishu has been somali since the time of the city states even the romans and greeks called the inhabitants dark skinned berbers its all written and recorded history

Interesting point.
But this leaves the question of the multiple inscriptions in Mogadishu.
There are several arabic inscriptions that mentions arab tribes and date back to the early middle ages.
Even the Somali oral sources mention arabs as the first inhabitants of Mogadishu. I'm saying somalis came shortly after arabs and took over the city. Since arabs were conquered by a homogeneous and stronger society they adopted our language.

Trending

Latest posts