We act black but we're not

Radical

Certified CNC expert.
I'm not here to make another "are Somalis X???" thread, we've had that discussion literally hundreds of times. I just want to point out a growing hypocrisy I see amongst certain Somalis that's not getting called out enough.

I've noticed that many Somalis like to distance themselves from being labeled as 'black American', some even go so far as to demean black folks with racially abusive language

Yet you can't help but wonder why they are so immersed in black culture, they speak AAVE, have the same fashion choices, the same obsession with the N-word, they listen to hip-hop, every English Somali musician sounds like their favorite black artist

It seems like Somalis enjoy taking from black culture (Rap, N-Word), and hate being referred to as Madow. Basically enjoying the fruits of the black experience while trying to avoid the backlash it entails

I'm not gonna tell you to stop wearing sneakers and to stop listening to Kendrick, that's stupid, you can like whatever you like. But it helps to at least be self-conscious.

It's simple. If you don't think you're black then stop acting like it, I understand if you grew up in a black hood and it's natural to talk and behave that way, but at least stop saying the N-word, it's cringe, it's not yours, your ancestors didn't go through it.

Somali Americans shouldn't really have an issue with the black label considering majority of Somali Americans live in areas we're they arent large in numbers. There has never been any real issues with both groups whereas in the UK is a different t story and that's why there's so many UK somalis that refuse to acknowledge the black label.

onEdge

Recovering from humiliation kink.
Somali Americans shouldn't really have an issue with the black label considering majority of Somali Americans live in areas we're they arent large in numbers. There has never been any real issues with both groups whereas in the UK is a different t story and that's why there's so many UK somalis that refuse to acknowledge the black label.
Is it because in the UK, black people know their country of origin, and hence identify with nationality.

I'm not here to make another "are Somalis X???" thread, we've had that discussion literally hundreds of times. I just want to point out a growing hypocrisy I see amongst certain Somalis that's not getting called out enough.

I've noticed that many Somalis like to distance themselves from being labeled as 'black American', some even go so far as to demean black folks with racially abusive language

Yet you can't help but wonder why they are so immersed in black culture, they speak AAVE, have the same fashion choices, the same obsession with the N-word, they listen to hip-hop, every English Somali musician sounds like their favorite black artist

It seems like Somalis enjoy taking from black culture (Rap, N-Word), and hate being referred to as Madow. Basically enjoying the fruits of the black experience while trying to avoid the backlash it entails

I'm not gonna tell you to stop wearing sneakers and to stop listening to Kendrick, that's stupid, you can like whatever you like. But it helps to at least be self-conscious.

It's simple. If you don't think you're black then stop acting like it, I understand if you grew up in a black hood and it's natural to talk and behave that way, but at least stop saying the N-word, it's cringe, it's not yours, your ancestors didn't go through it.
Policing the word nigga is retarded.

Trending