We Eritreans remember when the Ethiopian 🇪🇹 tyrant Meles Zenawi called for ethnic cleansings of 100.000 of Eritreans living in 🇪🇹

Kizaru

Cast in the name of God Ye not Guilty
The tragedy of Eritrea is that you fought for your independence only to achieve a state only for a comatose state of Eritrea to emerge for the past 33 years. Asmara today whilst peaceful resembles a town stuck in the 1950s time warp. The same could be said for Assab or Massawa. It's a record of failure.
your actin like we are any better. Its very clean and astehetically much more better looking then most african cities. There is not a lot of congestion, large groups and loud and essessive noise. Everyone is to themselves. Probably one of the cleansest cities the entire horn
1720535696666.png

Nigeria is 100x richer yet lagos looks like a slum with 1000's of people packed in 1 square km.

seldiboy

Resident Eritrean | Ye's strongest soldier
Tigrinya is the name of the language that both sides of the border speak in and Afwerki used the language name as the name of his ethnicity in his so called multi ethnic state of Eritrea
The historical name of Eritrean Tigrinya-speakers is Kebessa. All ethnic groups in Eri are referred to by their language (e.g Tigre-speakers never referred to themselves as “Tigre” until ELF/EPLF rolled around. Same with Saho-speakers)
IMG_7470.jpeg

On the primordial level, Kebessa are identical to Tigrayans but historically they’ve proven to be different peoples. It would be like saying all Serbo-Croat speakers or all German-speakers are the same even though they’re clearly fractured into a multitude of identities

Last edited:
The historical name of Eritrean Tigrinya-speakers is Kebessa. All ethnic groups in Eri are referred to by their language (e.g Tigre-speakers never referred to themselves as “Tigre” until ELF/EPLF rolled around. Same with Saho-speakers)View attachment 334111

On the primordial level, Kebessa are identical to Tigrayans but historically they’ve proven to be different peoples. It would be like saying all Serbo-Croat speakers or all German-speakers are the same even though they’re clearly fractured into a multitude of identities
The split between the Kebessa and Tigray has to do with historical political difference between the feudal lords that rose during Zemene Mesafint where the lords Tigray province invaded Hamasien and all of Kebessa lands or provinces and that doesn't mean there's ethnic or cultural difference between the two people as the examples you have given Serbs and Croats are very culturally different from each other.

seldiboy

The split between the Kebessa and Tigray has to do with historical political difference between the feudal lords that rose during Zemene Mesafint where the lords Tigray province invaded Hamasien and all of Kebessa lands or provinces and that doesn't mean there's ethnic or cultural difference between the two people as the examples you have given Serbs and Croats are very culturally different from each other.

The split goes further back than that. The animosity between them is rooted in the Zemene Mesafint.

Regardless there are some cultural differences that as a result of the differing relations with central Abyssinia. Tigrayans observed the Fethe Negast (Abyssinian law) meanwhile Kebessa had their own legal system of jurisprudence (Hgi Endebah) https://www.jstor.org/stable/40341624

Even on the social level there are some differences. Kebessa were communitarian agrarians while Tigrayans were generally peasants within a feudal system. Organisationally there’s also a clan structure amongst the Kebessa that isn’t really present amongst Tigrayans.

As for the Serbo-Croat analogy, there are more Serbo-Croat speakers than Serbs and Croats. It’s more like Serbs and Montenegrins

Edit: I’d say it’s also worth looking at the oral history of the Tigre and Saho (that’s been scribed by Orientalists like Littmann) since they do make a distinction between Tigrayans and Kebessa too in regards to their own origins

The split goes further back than that. The animosity between them is rooted in the Zemene Mesafint.

Regardless there are some cultural differences that as a result of the differing relations with central Abyssinia. Tigrayans observed the Fethe Negast (Abyssinian law) meanwhile Kebessa had their own legal system of jurisprudence (Hgi Endebah) https://www.jstor.org/stable/40341624

Even on the social level there are some differences. Kebessa were communitarian agrarians while Tigrayans were generally peasants within a feudal system. Organisationally there’s also a clan structure amongst the Kebessa that isn’t really present amongst Tigrayans.

As for the Serbo-Croat analogy, there are more Serbo-Croat speakers than Serbs and Croats. It’s more like Serbs and Montenegrins

Edit: I’d say it’s also worth looking at the oral history of the Tigre and Saho (that’s been scribed by Orientalists like Littmann) since they do make a distinction between Tigrayans and Kebessa too in regards to their own origins
How many generations do kebbesa clans go?

seldiboy

How many generations do kebbesa clans go?
The oral law relating to clans goes back to the 14th century (written down in the 19th century) but the kinship groups themselves probably go back a lot further

seldiboy

How many generations can you personally count?
I can go about 8/9 generations back of my own lineage. The way land tenure works in the Eritrean highlands is that as long as someone is native to a certain district, they belong to the clan said district is named after. I’m from Deqqi Teshim (Children of Teshim) so I know for sure that if I go back however many generations, I will have an ancestor called Ato Teshim of who I share with everyone from the district

I can go about 8/9 generations back of my own lineage. The way land tenure works in the Eritrean highlands is that as long as someone is native to a certain district, they belong to the clan said district is named after. I’m from Deqqi Teshim (Children of Teshim) so I know for sure that if I go back however many generations, I will have an ancestor called Ato Teshim of who I share with everyone from the district
Wow, 8 generations is nothing, average Somali can go back 30.

seldiboy

Wow, 8 generations is nothing, average Somali can go back 30.
I think it has to do with the dynamic between settled agriculturalism vs nomadic pastoralism. I know groups like the Saho and Tigre/Beni Amer can go back many more generations than just 8. For someone who traditionally stays in one place, your residence is proof of lineage. Whereas for someone who is always on the go, extended lineage is key in proving who you are

Trending

Latest posts