When getting to know someone for marriage, how long should courting last?

When getting to know someone for marriage, how long should courting last?

• Total voters
Personally I think a year is far too long, and so is 6 months - think to yourself how long it takes to really get to know a friend, even though I know that's quite different. That should be the answer.

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
Don't rush into a marriage not knowing what someone's like, that's a recipe for disaster. I'd put a year at the minimum.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
the thing is you can talk to a person for a year 2 years even some who talk for 4 years maa quraan bu baraya?

But you wont know the real them until you live with them

Basic

Passive Aggressive is the new Aggressive
VIP
That’s too much time. There’s stages imo. Do I like him? If so then we can get to talking. If I don’t like what I’m hearing, I cease communication. No point in taking things further.
There was a study that said in a relationship people can hide their true selfs and portray a facade of who they think you want to see for 3 months. I have seen this with my own eyes.

I agree that a year is long but that’s my own personal opinion since I’m a commitmentphobe if I last a year dating someone that’s a good sign.:mjhaps:

So I guess 6 months would be ideal compromise in a general sense for most people :mjdontkno:

1 year, give or take. Everything beyond that you might as well call it something else other than courting :browtf:
Edit (let me elaborate):
Given that the two of them have reached the courting stage (they know each other to a degree by now), I guess a year is more than enough time to see if you are meant for each other/ a marriage could work out. A year will be a broad enough time frame to experience them and their character through the seasons so to speak, i.e. in times of increased stress at work/school etc.
You will see how they fare through the general ebbs and flows of a year, how they achieve stability through changing times or more generally how they switch up things from the monoton and the mundane.
1 year should give you a glimpse into their life on a microscopic scale, and it gives an idea whether or not you are ready to take a leap of faith and tie the knot or not.

Last edited:
There was a study that said in a relationship people can hide their true selfs and portray a facade of who they think you want to see for 3 months. I have seen this with my own eyes.

I agree that a year is long but that’s my own personal opinion since I’m a commitmentphobe if I last a year dating someone that’s a good sign.:mjhaps:

So I guess 6 months would be ideal compromise in a general sense for most people :mjdontkno:

Yes but I go by intuition; if I don’t like him initially I don’t want him. By then I’ve put the guy in a box and I don’t change my mind.

Basic

Passive Aggressive is the new Aggressive
VIP
Yes but I go by intuition; if I don’t like him initially I don’t want him. By then I’ve put the guy in a box and I don’t change my mind.
I like that. My intuition always comes through but not initially since the idealist part of me paints an idea of them until they start breaking that image down with their real self. I guess I’m a masochist :heh:

psyche

To each their own
Marriage is just a legal/formal commitment of relationship that you make public.

Not a fan of the concept.

Personally I think courting should last for at least 2 years because it seems like the perfect number for two individuals to finally adjust to living together.

But then again not every couple is made equal and therefore there is no correct answer to this question.

Trending