BBC Witness looks back at the Ogaden War! WOW! Didn't know a whole lot of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the Soviets even have the authority over such a deal? The answer is no. What I want to know is why they supported Ethiopia and gave them the victory.

Because Somalia challenged the rules (of European borders lines) which were draw by British.

Grigori Rasputin

Former Somali Minister of Mismanagement & Misinfo.
Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Would the Soviets even have the authority over such a deal? The answer is no. What I want to know is why they supported Ethiopia and gave them the victory.

I remember reading a State Department declassified internal memoirs of ambassadors that served from 1960-1991

They gave the inner situations of the country. Ileen nimanku are not only ambassadors but spies.

Long story short when I got to the 1977 ambassador he wrote about the feeling of the Soviets and why they abandoned Somalia for Ethiopia.

1. Ethiopia was bigger

2.ethiopia still had Eritrea and Soviets wanted that Island in the Red Sea to install their antenna

3. Siyad Barre was hard to deal with

Al Dhoobe

Dr. Dhoobe
What i want to know is why no one tried to take out siyaad Barre

They tried sxb, siyaad barre was extremely paranoid and dadku ayu isku diri jirey. I remember hadraawi was saying how he tried to form a new government with hadraawi and some other isaaq poet as council. At that moment hadraawi said, let me think about it over night and by the next morning joined the snmz3zrULCz3zrULC

Night

Issa Warrior
the arabs aided ethiopia,the only country that actually helped somala was djibouti, with intelligence on enemy movements

anyway bare was a retard, the somali army was only a few miles away from ethiopia's captial, and the russians begged him to take ogaden, but he wanted to competely destroy ethiopia, his power hungry personality destroyed the somali dream

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Did Mengistu agree? Was he even asked? Likely no so no deal was made. Remember Italy invaded Ethiopia before WW2 and there was an international outcry for invading a sovereign nation. Do you think those same people would've backtracked? Ethiopia was always going to keep Ogaden but they wanted to weaken us so they supported us a bit and then gave their unwavering backing to Ethiopia. They never wanted us to win. The IC also forcibly changed our constitution very recently and removed the aim of Greater Somalia from it.

It's actually plausible that this was offered. You must understand the Soviets where trying to portray themselves as anti-imperialist. Somalia argued that the Ogaden was given to Sellasie just 27 years prior ( 1977) and that this is just a return, to correct the imperialist's meddling. Truth be told the Soviets were the biggest imperialists, they had 15 nationalities to themselves.

Hubble

VIP
I remember reading a State Department declassified internal memoirs of ambassadors that served from 1960-1991

They gave the inner situations of the country. Ileen nimanku are not only ambassadors but spies.

Long story short when I got to the 1977 ambassador he wrote about the feeling of the Soviets and why they abandoned Somalia for Ethiopia.

1. Ethiopia was bigger

2.ethiopia still had Eritrea and Soviets wanted that Island in the Red Sea to install their antenna

3. Siyad Barre was hard to deal with

Eritrea was a cause all Somalis supported, it was equal to ending Apatheid and saving Palestine from Israeli occupation. I'm so happy they made it but I become overwhelmed when I think that if we fought Ethiopia for 30 years like that tiny country did, we'd also have won. Instead we're still killing each other all this time later. It's proof that we didn't care enough to liberate Ogaden probably due to clan.

Siyaad Barre wasn't going to go into suicide deals but Amhara and Tigrey will happily sign off other tribe's land and resources because its win win for them. Barre would've had another civil war if he tried the same shit on Somalis.

Hubble

VIP
It's actually plausible that this was offered. You must understand the Soviets where trying to portray themselves as anti-imperialist. Somalia argued that the Ogaden was given to Sellasie just 27 years prior ( 1977) and that this is just a return, to correct the imperialist's meddling. Truth be told the Soviets were the biggest imperialists, they had 15 nationalities to themselves.

It's not likely wallahi because their image was indeed a ruse so they can play the capitalist game better.

waraabe

Your superior
Face the truth, siyaad and his ilk were the reason. This man wad politically and diplomatically inept beyond measure. It seems everyone at the time is pointing the finger at him

Al Dhoobe

Dr. Dhoobe
Eritrea was a cause all Somalis supported, it was equal to ending Apatheid and saving Palestine from Israeli occupation. I'm so happy they made it but I become overwhelmed when I think that if we fought Ethiopia for 30 years like that tiny country did, we'd also have won. Instead we're still killing each other all this time later. It's proof that we didn't care enough to liberate Ogaden probably due to clan.

Siyaad Barre wasn't going to go into suicide deals but Amhara and Tigrey will happily sign off other tribe's land and resources because its win win for them. Barre would've had another civil war if he tried the same shit on Somalis.

We stopped because we were economically dependent on the soviets. When they switch sides we were broke lol. Everyone wanted kilika shanaad because every clan has a huge part of their clansmen there

waraabe

Your superior

Why call it Ogaden in the first place if you want all somali to spill their blood for your cause

Hubble

VIP
We stopped because we were economically dependent on the soviets. When they switch sides we were broke lol. Everyone wanted kilika shanaad because every clan has a huge part of their clansmen there

Eritrea barely had funding but they had determination and they didn't expect a quick victory. Plus they were united for that reason. They still celebrate Martyrs Day. We don't commemorate our fallen or the people Ethiopia killed. We lost because when the Soviets switched sides we didn't see it as a nuisance, we didn't even attempt a plan two.

Grigori Rasputin

Staff Member
Wariyaha SomaliSpot
Luck was not on our side guys. As I listened to it I realized that fate was our enemy.

You see! The soviet admiral visited Mogadishu to instigate Somalia invade Ethiopia and that they will give them weapons. Around this time Sellasie bastard was still "the king of kings and the lion of Judah " and was diehard Western supporter.
Only if he was still on power in 1977 then we would've treated Ethiopia the way they are treating us now and with Ogaden as our 19th province. However, this was never to be a Marxist Leninist staged a coup d'etate :eminemdamn::jcoleno::jcoleno: soviet scrambled to take their offer from the table and begged and pleaded with Barre and even send Fidel Castro, Communist Yemen leader and even East Germany's high ranking officials to persuade Barre to change course. He refused

Al Dhoobe

Dr. Dhoobe
Eritrea barely had funding but they had determination and they didn't expect a quick victory. Plus they were united for that reason. They still celebrate Martyrs Day. We don't commemorate our fallen or the people Ethiopia killed. We lost because when the Soviets switched sides we didn't see it as a nuisance, we didn't even attempt a plan two.

But you KowDheh you gotta take in that the soviets were backing ethiopia to win this war. Superpowers decide who gets wiped out and who remains a pawn...but yeah I see your point, there wasn't enough vigilance on our end

waraabe

Your superior
My cause? That's your own issues coming out bud. Secondly that's what most foreigners and the media call it.

It is a false name that shouldn't be propagated unless talking about Ogaden clan settlements. Correct term is hawd

I think it would've been a smarter move to train and support rebel groups inside of Ethiopia rather than invade it. The UN charter declares that war for conquest/annexation is illegal meaning any land we captured would have been view as illegally occupied by the international community.With the eventual collapse of the Derg, a Somali group could have secured Independence like the Eritreans and eventually join Somalia.

Hubble

VIP
It is a false name that shouldn't be propagated unless talking about Ogaden clan settlements. Correct term is hawd

Hawd is a reserve area near Somaliland, it's not the name for the entire region. The official name was Somali Galbeed but Ogaden is commonly used by non Somalis.

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
the arabs aided ethiopia,the only country that actually helped somala was djibouti, with intelligence on enemy movements

anyway bare was a retard, the somali army was only a few miles away from ethiopia's captial, and the russians begged him to take ogaden, but he wanted to competely destroy ethiopia, his power hungry personality destroyed the somali dream

Iraq helped Somalia actually.

The war against Ethiopia will always have conspiracy theories behind it. Some say he went to war because the Army was growing too powerful so he needed to keep them busy and preoccupied. That's why he called up many former enemies (Aideed, Yeezy etc) to lead the front lines hoping they'd die in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.