Harar is named after a Somali tree

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
I was given a short extract from Richard Burtons book which states that the city of Harar was named after a local tree found in the region. I did some digging and found a large 200 page oxfam study done by Desmond Mahony where i did a bit of reading and found not one, but two native Somali trees that are named after Harar. So i decided to create an Etymology section of the Harar Wikipedia page and did a bit of writing ifykyk

Here's Richard burtons book titled "First footsteps into east Africa" don't take it as hard proof after all it is a piece of orientalism.
Here is the Oxfam study i found that did research on trees in Somalia. "Trees of Somalia - A field guide for development workers"

Here is the part where it talks about the "Harar" and "Haraari" trees in Somalia
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Here is where it talks about the "Haraare tree"
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

As you can see by the section "Where found in Somalia" I chose to include the Haraare tree in the wikipedia instead of the "Harar" since the former is found in the somali region meanwhile the "Harar" tree is found in southern Somalia. This is still important to note as this only tells us that the name for Harar is native to Somalis if people as far as Jubaland call this specific species of tree "Harar"

Also the segment of Richard Burton's book that tells us that the name Harar originates from a tree:

1722027277202.png

Here is a list of Somali trees found in the book;
1722027300802.png

Khaemwaset

VIP
I also have a theory that the Harari word "Gey" meaning "The city" is of Somali origin. put the two words together you get "Harar-G-ey" the word "Hararghe"

I'm probably exaggerating a bit. But I was just reading the cambridge history of africa horn of africa section. Seeing the connections you pointed out. I'm beginning to think that these muslim principalities in the horn described by al umari amd others were maybe not all but mainly just tiny somali city states. Since almost everyone people talk about the deep history of Islam in the horn somali involvement is hinted at in the background.

Khaemwaset

VIP
W post once again sxb :salute:
Appreciate it walaal :Myman:
I'm probably exaggerating a bit. But I was just reading the cambridge history of africa horn of africa section. Seeing the connections you pointed out. I'm beginning to think that these muslim principalities in the horn described by al umari amd others were maybe not all but mainly just tiny somali city states. Since almost everyone people talk about the deep history of Islam in the horn somali involvement is hinted at in the background.
Yeah that's the conclusion I've gotten to as well, before the rise of these large states like Awfat, these were all city states connected by trade and semi-pastoralists caravans following established routes like what we see for Ciise caravans between Harar-Zelia documented in the 1800s in french maps.
1722033113236.png

The later sultanates that rose in the medieval era like Awdal-Awfat unified the cities and made trade and movement even easier, bringing an age of prosperity to the Muslim civilisation in the horn.

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP

Yeah that's the conclusion I've gotten to as well, before the rise of these large states like Awfat, these were all city states connected by trade and semi-pastoralists caravans following established routes like what we see for Ciise caravans between Harar-Zelia documented in the 1800s in french maps.
View attachment 336141

The later sultanates that rose in the medieval era like Awdal-Awfat unified the cities and made trade and movement even easier, bringing an age of prosperity to the Muslim civilisation in the horn.
Islam came early to us but spread deep between 10 & 16 century, culture only spread with trade, I'll be heading back, will make sure to take plenty of aerial videos when I head back, we really need Lidar, will see if I can get some cheap Lidar drones under 2k.

View attachment 336141

If would have been amazing if awfat and some of these bigger principalities had court poets whose manuscripts survived

Khaemwaset

VIP
If would have been amazing if awfat and some of these bigger principalities had court poets whose manuscripts survived
There definitely are some we need to do more digging.

I already have a basic way we could uncover 60% of lost Somali history.

Simply go around and write down Oral history from clan elders.
Use what they say as a foundation and do Archeological works to see if it can back up the oral history.
And finally digitise and collect all manuscript in a national library as well as send scholars to foeiegn countries national libraries like Sauia or Oman where they have Somali manuscripts.

With Oral history - Archeology - Manuscripts we will easily have a clear picture of Somali history within a decade or two of research.

I heard a copy of the second part of the Futuh is rotting Yemen

Khaemwaset

VIP
Islam came early to us but spread deep between 10 & 16 century, culture only spread with trade, I'll be heading back, will make sure to take plenty of aerial videos when I head back, we really need Lidar, will see if I can get some cheap Lidar drones under 2k.
Yeah but we're talking deep into the horn if you mean 16th century/ the time of Imam Ahmad. And Highlands too.

I'd really be interested in seeing the results if you can please upload them one day 🙏🏾🙏🏾

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
Yeah but we're talking deep into the horn if you mean 16th century/ the time of Imam Ahmad. And Highlands too.

I'd really be interested in seeing the results if you can please upload them one day 🙏🏾🙏🏾
Inshallah, I've set aside money, thankfully its getting cheaper, the real gems will be near the coasts with how much land the sea has took.

We really need more archaelogists

Khaemwaset

VIP
Inshallah, I've set aside money, thankfully its getting cheaper, the real gems will be near the coasts with how much land the sea has took.

We really need more archaelogists
Hoping you find some lost ancient city or something lol

Trending