Harar is named after a Somali tree

@Khaemwaset
I had no idea. Your stuff looks good, in particular I liked the coffee article and the poem "Macaan iyo Qadhaadh" by Axhmed Qasim, I cant fully read Somali yet, so I appreciate the English translation.

Looking forward to reading more of your work. Once I sort out my Substack account I will susbscribe.

Khaemwaset

FrΓΌher of the Djibouti Ugaasate πŸ‡©πŸ‡―
VIP
@Khaemwaset
I had no idea. Your stuff looks good, in particular I liked the coffee article and the poem "Macaan iyo Qadhaadh" by Axhmed Qasim, I cant fully read Somali yet, so I appreciate the English translation.

Looking forward to reading more of your work. Once I sort out my Substack account I will susbscribe.
I appreciate it walaal. I'll make sure to have some more Somali poetry in English translations too, I've got a few I can pump out over the week πŸ™πŸΎπŸ™πŸΎ

IMG_1352.jpeg

Geed Adari is what Somalis refer to as a type of coriander leaf producing tree. Coriander is also referred to as Geed Adari by some. I wonder if this is a coincidence or is it related to the Adari region which is what Somalis and other people including Oromo use to refer to the Harar area.l/city.

Perhaps the area was know for having plenty of those trees or the product was sold from there en mass.

According to another theory Adari in harari means the one who settled.

Khaemwaset

FrΓΌher of the Djibouti Ugaasate πŸ‡©πŸ‡―
VIP
View attachment 344853

Geed Adari is what Somalis refer to as a type of coriander leaf producing tree. Coriander is also referred to as Geed Adari by some. I wonder if this is a coincidence or is it related to the Adari region which is what Somalis and other people including Oromo use to refer to the Harar area.l/city.

Perhaps the area was know for having plenty of those trees or the product was sold from there en mass.

According to another theory Adari in harari means the one who settled.
Great find sxb

Trending