Land of Punt

Idilinaa

(Graduated)
Yeah I'm trying to sift throught the evidence but having some difficulty. Scholars go back and forth on its specific location. For example I found some texts that say its in Ethiopia and Eritrea but nothing about Somalia.

View attachment 332811
View attachment 332812
View attachment 332813
View attachment 332814

It's a continuous debate , up until recently they was including Arabia other countries as possible location but Baboon specimens ruled them out. The baboon specimens match what is found in Eritrea and Somalia

Their Eastern Sudan and Eritrea arguments rest on proximity. Also the idea of it being a centralized kingdom which it wasn't , it was a decentralized trading emporium and it's described as such by the Egyptians.

And Ancient Egyptians made it clear they were reaching out to a more far southern place and getting sometime shipwrecked there.

EritreanPost_

EritreanPost 🇪🇷🇩🇯🇸🇴🇸🇩🇪🇬 |Eritrean news blogger
ACB8F66A-1391-4FA0-BA0B-8E5C0F176464.jpeg

Eritrea Djibouti Somaliland and Somalia were part of the kingdom of punt. Eritrea was likely the centre of the kingdom

I don't understand these historians. The land of Punt was the main place Egypt was getting it's frankincense and myrrh, but the place known for being the main source of both is not part of Punt? It's either they're doing mental gymnastics or they don't know enough about the historical trade in the north.

I don't understand these historians. The land of Punt was the main place Egypt was getting it's frankincense and myrrh, but the place known for being the main source of both is not part of Punt? It's either they're doing mental gymnastics or they don't know enough about the historical trade in the north.
They just don’t want to give credit. It’s clear where it is.

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
It's a continuous debate , up until recently they was including Arabia other countries as possible location but Baboon specimens ruled them out. The baboon specimens match what is found in Eritrea and Somalia

Their Eastern Sudan and Eritrea arguments rest on proximity. Also the idea of it being a centralized kingdom which it wasn't , it was a decentralized trading emporium and it's described as such by the Egyptians.

And Ancient Egyptians made it clear they were reaching out to a more far southern place and getting sometime shipwrecked there.
We can narrow it down with frankincense since apparently 2 types of frankincensce species have been found in egyptian tombs Boswellia carteri and Boswellia frereana these frankincense species only grow in and are completely native exclusively to somalia. I will personally add into this finding that we are aware of the prevalence and importance of frankincense/myrrh is in somali culture.

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
We can narrow it down with frankincense since apparently 2 types of frankincensce species have been found in egyptian tombs Boswellia carteri and Boswellia frereana these frankincense species only grow in and are completely native exclusively to somalia. I will personally add into this finding that we are aware of the prevalence and importance of frankincense/myrrh is in somali culture.
Not true frankincense has many different species and grows pretty much all over the horn and beyond.
Punt didn’t only export incense btw.
The Land of Punt was definitely multiethnic and “ruled” over or expanded in a vast area both inland and on the whole southern red sea/gulf of Aden coast.

Not true frankincense has many different species
He is talking about two specific species of frankincense which grow only in Somalia.

Boswellia-trees-and-their-areas-of-distribution-a-B-sacra-tree-growing-in-the-dry.png

The Land of Punt was definitely multiethnic
I don't know if it was multiethnic tbh. The time frame of Punt predates the ethnogenesis of modern Horner groups like Somalis and Tigrinyas. It was definitely Cushitic but its hard to say what ethnic groups today are directly descendant from the ancient Puntites.

Idilinaa

(Graduated)
Not true frankincense has many different species and grows pretty much all over the horn and beyond.
Punt didn’t only export incense btw.
The Land of Punt was definitely multiethnic and “ruled” over or expanded in a vast area both inland and on the whole southern red sea/gulf of Aden coast.

Thats not true , the two main ones found in the tombs don't grow in other parts of the horn or beyond, and only one is native Arabia and Somalia and one other is native only to Somalia.

Both species are found together in Bari as you can see here:
20230826_075120-1-jpg.292663

But yeah i am open to believe they might have been talking about different punts depending on the period and trade expeditions, the earliest one with Hashepsut was most likely Somalia which fits the description of the Northern Eastern ''Terraces of Punt'' and where both of those species are retried from.

Last edited:

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
Thats not true , the two main ones found in the tombs don't grow in other parts of the horn or beyond, and only one is native Arabia and Somalia and one other is native only to Somalia.

Both species are found together in Bari as you can see here:
20230826_075120-1-jpg.292663

But yeah i am open to believe they might have been talking about different punts depending on the period and trade expeditions, the earliest one with Hashepsut was most likely Somalia which fits the description of the Northern Eastern ''Terraces of Punt'' and where both of those species are retried from.
Proof we know what variety of frankincense the remains of the tree belong to ?
There are 22 different species of Boswellia.
I don’t even think we know what type of tree… myrrh is a whole different tree for example.

Trending