Puntland Local Election 2024

Was your sole reference of the proposed system from Afyare's article, titled "assessment"?
Closed-list Proportional representation would mean that voters vote for parties not candidates, and there are no districts. If a party receives 10% of the vote, that 10% is multiplied by 66 parliament seats. So the party would get 6.6 seats which are rounded up to 7. It is the most democratic way of electing a parliament.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
My apologies 'cos I did not see the video, and now I see your point much clearer, and I must admit the PR system, which promotes coalition forming, discourages polarisation, and absolute single party dominance, is more suitable than the FPTP system.

No worries. The PR closed list, where parties announce in advance who will be at the top of their list means that smaller clans are guaranteed representation if all clan members vote as a bloc. It also suits Puntland very well because there is not much political capacity needed to conduct and count the votes using this method. Netherlands uses open list but the example is good enough.

Using PR open list, like Somaliland does, would make it possible for some smaller clans to have no representation. The three party cap would further worsen this problem. Following Somaliland example here would be bad for Puntland.

I want everyone who wants to form a party to be able to form a party. Subsequent elections would then naturally reduce the number of parties. We would likely end up with fewer than 5 parties that are stable coalitions.

This shows a level of political maturity on all parties, and is a very good step forward.
Is it wise to defer the 3 party system constraint question to TPEC and political orgs? Should it not go back to the Parliament to legislate by way of introducing a bill amending the original law?

What is with the 3 other political orgs incl. Horseed?

And what is the deception, and defrauding Gablax is talking about? Are we missing an invisible plot to which the public must pay attention? Or is his the Canary in the coal mine?

Democracy is about acceptance, equality, and ownership at the lowest level. It is about representation, reaching consensus on contentious points, resolving differences amicably, and convincing stakeholders in buying into the process. In other words, people having the right and means to govern their affairs.

Somalis being nomadic, egalitarian by nature, the democratic process has to be brought, and discussed under the tree with the Geeljire having a say.

It is not about soundbites, big posters, shouting from rooftops for attention, press releases and tweets in harsh language (For crying out loud, why are the press releases in English - I notice tone in Somali press releases are weighty, cautious, and balanaced whereas those in English come across terse, if a relic of the pre 1998 era).

TPEC and other associations must listen to the concerns of the 4 associations (Mideeye, Horseed, Youth, and Labour). I am concerned Faroole & Co might be stirring the pot, yet still the process has to be built upon consensus. No one is expecting perfection, but a reasonably inclusive process. They did not articulate their concerns in the press release other than saying only 2 of 13 points had been resolved.

Pilot local elections in Eyl, Ufayn, and Qardho were impressive, and beyond any one's expectation. The same could not be expected, but the prototype has been constructed, and could be repeated as a pattern with identified rocks on the road removed one at a time.

The biggest concern I see is TPEC being led by inexperienced young team, who are prone to manipulation.

Deni, like all other Somali leaders, has this Napoleonic tendency fancying himself as the ultimate executioner instead of a mere public servant. Humility, serving the public, and engagement are the way forward.

Again, as tradition would have it, bring it under the tree, discuss, and convince each other. No one should be left outside, or alienated.

Last edited: