Puntland Local Election 2024

Training voter registrar staff is an important task.

FlY7m7eWQAEsUQ9

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Democracy is about acceptance, equality, and ownership at the lowest level. It is about representation, reaching consensus on contentious points, resolving differences amicably, and convincing stakeholders in buying into the process. In other words, people having the right and means to govern their affairs.

Somalis being nomadic, egalitarian by nature, the democratic process has to be brought, and discussed under the tree with the Geeljire having a say.

It is not about soundbites, big posters, shouting from rooftops for attention, press releases and tweets in harsh language (For crying out loud, why are the press releases in English - I notice tone in Somali press releases are weighty, cautious, and balanaced whereas those in English come across terse, if a relic of the pre 1998 era).

TPEC and other associations must listen to the concerns of the 4 associations (Mideeye, Horseed, Youth, and Labour). I am concerned Faroole & Co might be stirring the pot, yet still the process has to be built upon consensus. No one is expecting perfection, but a reasonably inclusive process. They did not articulate their concerns in the press release other than saying only 2 of 13 points had been resolved.

Pilot local elections in Eyl, Ufayn, and Qardho were impressive, and beyond any one's expectation. The same could not be expected, but the prototype has been constructed, and could be repeated as a pattern with identified rocks on the road removed one at a time.

The biggest concern I see is TPEC being led by inexperienced young team, who are prone to manipulation.

Deni, like all other Somali leaders, has this Napoleonic tendency fancying himself as the ultimate executioner instead of a mere public servant. Humility, serving the public, and engagement are the way forward.

Again, as tradition would have it, bring it under the tree, discuss, and convince each other. No one should be left outside, or alienated.

HIPS just published this report on Puntland's transition.
PUNTLAND’S LOCAL ELECTIONS: A TRANSITION TO SOCIAL CONTRACT

Deni must listen, show political maturity, realise his Napoleon tendencies do not work with the locals, and bring the democracy train to a halt under the tree.

For the record, I do not consider Cawad, Gablax, Ali Haji and Co. any better than Deni, but their concerns & warnings are valid.

55369dc1-1620-4a0e-a763-472fc091cc35-jpeg.247818

5dd293f1-8e4c-487a-af10-f50386f8b8e2-jpeg.247819

33e11a8b-bd3d-4605-89ef-91d2ec6c0e36-jpeg.247820

Last edited:

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
Tomorrow, historic voter registration will begin in Bari, Karkaar, Gardafui. Those that are willing to participate may register.

Laagite

Ψ§Ω„Ψ―Ψ§Ψ±ΩˆΩˆΨ―ΩŠ
Wasiirka Hore ee Wasaarada Xanaanaha Siciid Physics registering for the upcoming local elections in Bosaso