Sex exchange for grades in universities in Somalia

A few troubling observations she is blowing the whistle on:
  • A corrupt system where bribing staff is common to cater for the middle classes,
  • An exploitative practice targeting female students,
  • An awfully low standard of education judging from their text messages. How could she be in Uni when writing as if in kindergarten.

However, she was willing to bribe him off, and commit 'fusq' not permissible in Islam to advance her position, but had trouble with offering herself, a greater transgression of course, but a type of 'fusq' nonetheless; is she as culpable? Or is this a case of 'I do not feast on the carcass, but could gulp its broth'. In other words, willing to be dined and wined dancing the night away, but will not go to third base, and if I do not get my way, I'll scream from the roof tops.

In legal quarters, she has no leg to stand on. In Islam, she is at fault, granted scale of transgressions are not the same. In Kant's ethical doctrine, she is 'bad' at her core.

Postscript:
Another observation: Mother looks typical eedo, speaks perfect Somali, but the daughter looks quite not so Somali, and speaks as if foreign-born, a phenomenon more noticeable in young people in the whole country.
I find it strange that she didnโ€™t question the other women students on how the guy was able to solve their issues. Which leads me to believe her fomo about graduating really blinded her to the magnitude of her show of desperation. The first guy she spoke with told her point blank to do whatever the abdisalan guy asked her even if itโ€™s flirting and getting to know him and she still went along with it. Should have ended it there but she willingly still engaged with these men. The fact that she keeps lamenting about how much time she spent in school as if her acts of desperation were justified is strange as well. All she had to do and can still do is retake the courses to graduate.

The nail in the coffin for me is her mentioning her fear of Allah when it comes to zina but not about her willingness to do corruption just to graduate. Any man who isnโ€™t conscious of Allah would see a woman at that level as someone he can persuade to commit another sin because he doesnโ€™t believe she is religiously committed. She needs to hold herself accountable first then seek means to rectify her situation. Bringing this info to light in a very corrupt lawless place wonโ€™t get her justice. Munasar the reporter canโ€™t help her and the general public has no power either. Itโ€™s been two years I hope she heals and tries to move on from this.

Last edited:
I find it strange that she didnโ€™t question the other women students on how the guy was able to solve their issues. Which leads me to believe her fomo about graduating really blinded her to the magnitude of her show of desperation. The first guy she spoke with told her point blank to do whatever the abdisalan guy asked her even if itโ€™s flirting and getting to know him and she still went along with it. Should have ended it there but she willingly still engaged with these men. The fact that she keeps lamenting about how much time she spent in school as if her acts of desperation were justified is strange as well. All she had to do and can still do is retake the courses to graduate.
As rare as that is, and as one of the few, who actually listened to the arguments, you would agree her Royal Highness lady Safiya was making a complete mockery of the 'bad' system at the university, which leaves one astounded as to her unabashed, if immoral boldness, and to make matters worse, has the gall to appear alongside her dear mother, who should have known better than being reduced, if humiliated, to a mere prop for the camera. Again, we are neither excusing nor turning a blind eye to the exploitative practice by university staff of desperate young ladies, where one would expect control measures put in place to protect them against predatory tendencies of those in positions of power.

What we know: HRH lady Safiya approached the villain (staff), initiated negotiations, expressed desire to secure graduation by deceptive means, was willing to meet all other demands incl. paying him off $600+, but was unwilling to meet his one demand: a leg over. I am glad she chose not to, a commendable act on her part on that front, however she is culpable, was intent on gaining advantage by deceptive means, with motive and means all of which, in the eyes of the law, satisfy her being liable.

Rather neglected in some of the half-witted opinions is the idea of a student openly, if shamelessly boasting about wanting to buy graduation instead of earning it by a virtue of that age old tradition of conceptualising, studying hard to gain knowledge. It is as if education has been reduced to depreciated utility hawked at an open market.

Is HRH lady Safiya innocent as she portrays herself as? I think not. She committed multiple 'fusq' to get to that point, and responsible of her deeds, she must be.
The nail in the coffin for me is her mentioning her fear of Allah when it comes to zina but not about her willingness to do corruption just to graduate. Any man who isnโ€™t conscious of Allah would see a woman at that level as someone he can persuade to commit another sin because he doesnโ€™t believe she is religiously committed. She needs to hold herself accountable first then seek means to rectify her situation. Bringing this info to light in a very corrupt lawless place wonโ€™t get her justice.
Spot on.

As rare as that is, and as one of the few, who actually listened to the arguments, you would agree her Royal Highness lady Safiya was making a complete mockery of the 'bad' system at the university, which leaves one astounded as to her unabashed, if immoral boldness, and to make matters worse, has the gall to appear alongside her dear mother, who should have known better than being reduced, if humiliated, to a mere prop for the camera. Again, we are neither excusing nor turning a blind eye to the exploitative practice by university staff of desperate young ladies, where one would expect control measures put in place to protect them against predatory tendencies of those in positions of power.

What we know: HRH lady Safiya approached the villain (staff), initiated negotiations, expressed desire to secure graduation by deceptive means, was willing to meet all other demands incl. paying him off $600+, but was unwilling to meet his one demand: a leg over. I am glad she chose not to, a commendable act on her part on that front, however she is culpable, was intent on gaining advantage by deceptive means, with motive and means all of which, in the eyes of the law, satisfy her being liable.

Rather neglected in some of the half-witted opinions is the idea of a student openly, if shamelessly boasting about wanting to buy graduation instead of earning it by a virtue of that age old tradition of conceptualising, studying hard to gain knowledge. It is as if education has been reduced to depreciated utility hawked at an open market.

Is HRH lady Safiya innocent as she portrays herself as? I think not. She committed multiple 'fusq' to get to that point, and responsible of her deeds, she must be.

Spot on.
I totally agree with your assessment, she isnโ€™t innocent and in the West, her trying to secure a good grade and graduation via bribes will be an instant dismissal, but being a teacher in a position of power and trying to sleep with a teen student will always be worse and we canโ€™t compare apples and oranges.

letโ€™s talk about bribes, unfortunately whilst immoral is something thatโ€™s openly practiced in Somali society and I can rationalize why someone like Safiya thinks she can pay her way through. Thatโ€™s the norm back home and itโ€™s something sheโ€™s been seeing her entire life which is why I donโ€™t trust the Somali education system, the gov system and everything really. This is the end result. Kids who grew up with the abuse of the system and thinking they can continue since thatโ€™s the only way people get ahead there.

However, us being a Muslim society in which Zina is seen as highly disgusting and trying to coerce young female students to do it is beyond the pale. Also, itโ€™s incredibly misogynistic and creates an even more of a difficult barrier for women in an already highly sexist and corrupt society that now womenโ€™s bodies have been reduced to something thatโ€™s traded and bartered upon. Itโ€™s 5x more evil than bribery via money.

Last edited:
I totally agree with your assessment, she isnโ€™t innocent and in the West, her trying to secure a good grade and graduation via bribes will be an instant dismissal, but being a teacher in a position of power and trying to sleep with a teen student will always be worse and we canโ€™t compare apples and oranges.

letโ€™s talk about bribes, unfortunately whilst immoral is something thatโ€™s openly practiced in Somali society and I can rationalize why someone like Safiya thinks she can pay her way through. Thatโ€™s the norm back home and itโ€™s something sheโ€™s been seeing her entire life which is why I donโ€™t trust the Somali education system, the gov system and everything really. This is the end result. Kids who grew up with the abuse of the system and thinking they can continue since thatโ€™s the only way people get ahead there.

However, us being a Muslim society in which Zina is seen as highly disgusting and trying to coerce young female students to do it is beyond the pale. Also, itโ€™s incredibly misogynistic and create an even more of a difficult barrier for women in an already highly sexist and corrupt society that even womenโ€™s bodies have been reduced to something thatโ€™s traded and bribed upon. Itโ€™s 5x more evil than bribery via money.
Agreed. Those bastards ought to be neutered.

Trending