So when Oromo started their expansion from southern Ethiopia, why didn't they try us?

But Garre of today are considered Somali though?
Many Gabbra are genealogically Somali Garres who got cut off from their brethren by the Borana. Gabbra actually means client. Garres supported Somalia during the Ogaden war, as did some Gabbra, while the Boranas generally Oppose Somali irredentist movement . The Gabbras who are deeply tied to the Borana system are less pro Somali than those who are more Islamic. Indentity is also fluid with these groups and can change according to politics:

“Inter-regional Conflicts: Somali Region 191 Consequently, he switched allegiance from the Oromo to the Somali
region. He furthermore defended his position by saying:

All the Gabbra in terms of ancestry (genealogy) are Somali. The way we build houses is more similar with the Somali than the Borana. We keep camels like our Somali brothers, while the Borana were traditionally engaged in the husbandry of cattle. We worship one God (Allah) like the Somali, while the Borana do not worship in one God. We share more similarities with the Somali clans than the Borana. As a result, the Gabbra are no Oromo but Somali.

Another high profile Gabbra politician, Shenu Godana, also switched his loyalty from the Oromia to the Somali region. Shenu served as member of the federal parliament representing the OPDO and the Moyale woreda for ten years (1995-2005) in Addis Ababa. After his tenure at the federal parliament, he became head of the Borana zone’s Bureau of Popular Organisation and Mobilisation. Nevertheless, when the Oromia region sacked him from his position, he switched his allegiance to the Somali. Consequently, the Somali region gave him a position within the Somali Moyale woreda administration. He now promotes the idea that the Gabbra are all Somali and should be under the administration of the Somali region. He defends his switching of identity as follows.23
Initially, when the EPRDF controlled the country (1991-2), the Gabbra, the Garre and the Borana rallied behind different Oromo ethnic movements. When ethnic and clan division occurred, the Garre joined the Somali; some Gabbra also joined the Somali. I and some other Gabbra leaders, however, joined the Oromo. The reason for our decision to join the Oromia region was to safeguard the interest of our people who live in the midst of the Borana in such areas as Yabello, Arero, Negele and others. We were afraid that if all of the Gabbra leaders join the Somali, the Borana would attack our clan. My decision to leave the OPDO (Oromia) and join the SPDP (Somali) was because of my realisation that I could not provide security to the Gabbra who live in the midst of the Borana. I felt that the officials of the Borana zone were directly and indirectly involved in Borana violence against the Gabbra. When I voiced my opposition about the handling of the conflict between the Borana and the Gabbra to the zonal authorities, I was removed from my position. I then went to the Somali region and was given a position within the Moyale Somali woreda.

The Oromos controlled JL untill Northern Daroods overthrew them and pushed them into Kenya, specifically the Ormas.This is also why you can find minority Borana-Orma paternal lineages among the Daroods of JL

The Ajuuraan & Degodia were slaves (clients in essence) of the Boranas untill the Daroods arrived continuing their march from JL. It was Northern Somali speaking Daroods pastoralists that saved the Somaloids in Kenya.
Not that. The Somali results with Oromo are not complex. The Mareexan one is Howrarsame who were removed from the clan from a while and they intermixed with Oromo. The Ajuran one is a Borana Oromo. Nothing to do with Jubbaland.

Many Gabbra are genealogically Somali Garres who got cut off from their brethren by the Borana. Gabbra actually means client. Garres supported Somalia during the Ogaden war, as did some Gabbra, while the Boranas generally Oppose Somali irredentist movement . The Gabbras who are deeply tied to the Borana system are less pro Somali than those who are more Islamic. Indentity is also fluid with these groups and can change according to politics:

“Inter-regional Conflicts: Somali Region 191 Consequently, he switched allegiance from the Oromo to the Somali
region. He furthermore defended his position by saying:

All the Gabbra in terms of ancestry (genealogy) are Somali. The way we build houses is more similar with the Somali than the Borana. We keep camels like our Somali brothers, while the Borana were traditionally engaged in the husbandry of cattle. We worship one God (Allah) like the Somali, while the Borana do not worship in one God. We share more similarities with the Somali clans than the Borana. As a result, the Gabbra are no Oromo but Somali.

Another high profile Gabbra politician, Shenu Godana, also switched his loyalty from the Oromia to the Somali region. Shenu served as member of the federal parliament representing the OPDO and the Moyale woreda for ten years (1995-2005) in Addis Ababa. After his tenure at the federal parliament, he became head of the Borana zone’s Bureau of Popular Organisation and Mobilisation. Nevertheless, when the Oromia region sacked him from his position, he switched his allegiance to the Somali. Consequently, the Somali region gave him a position within the Somali Moyale woreda administration. He now promotes the idea that the Gabbra are all Somali and should be under the administration of the Somali region. He defends his switching of identity as follows.23
Initially, when the EPRDF controlled the country (1991-2), the Gabbra, the Garre and the Borana rallied behind different Oromo ethnic movements. When ethnic and clan division occurred, the Garre joined the Somali; some Gabbra also joined the Somali. I and some other Gabbra leaders, however, joined the Oromo. The reason for our decision to join the Oromia region was to safeguard the interest of our people who live in the midst of the Borana in such areas as Yabello, Arero, Negele and others. We were afraid that if all of the Gabbra leaders join the Somali, the Borana would attack our clan. My decision to leave the OPDO (Oromia) and join the SPDP (Somali) was because of my realisation that I could not provide security to the Gabbra who live in the midst of the Borana. I felt that the officials of the Borana zone were directly and indirectly involved in Borana violence against the Gabbra. When I voiced my opposition about the handling of the conflict between the Borana and the Gabbra to the zonal authorities, I was removed from my position. I then went to the Somali region and was given a position within the Moyale Somali woreda.
interesting read. So you are gabbra? I am ashamaed to admit but I have not heard of this group before. Where do you guys settle? I am guessing Moyale and around it?
Also are the Gabbra and Garre closer to each other than either are to Somali?

I am new to this stuff and it doesn't help that I keep getting curve balls thrown my way. :dabcasar:

interesting read. So you are gabbra? I am ashamaed to admit but I have not heard of this group before. Where do you guys settle? I am guessing Moyale and around it?
Also are the Gabbra and Garre closer to each other than either are to Somali?

I am new to this stuff and it doesn't help that I keep getting curve balls thrown my way. :dabcasar:
I am not Gabbra lol. I just came to find about them when I was doing some reading on Rendilles.

Ajuuran, Degodia and later Geledi were fighting against them and keeping them at bay. The crucial factor in the ultimate removal by Marehans and Ogadeens was a tactical change. The already established clans in the region adhered to the practice of not intermarrying with them.

When the Marehans and Ogadeens arrived, the Oromos in the area were already largely Muslims and dominant. Therefore, they rapidly assimilated the newcomers, both paternally and maternally. Young boys were adopted, and their lineages were "fused" with the conquering sub-clan. Once these boys grew up, they were indistinguishable from Somalis.

This assimilation was only possible because the Oromos were pastoralists, originating from the same stock, and phenotypically indistinguishable from Somalis.

To be clear the Jubba river on both banks where already conquered and where majortity Somalia before the Marehan and Ogadeens arrived, that and the coast.
It was the rich interrior where Somali control was contested, which they put an end on.

Somali Saayid

Frm President of Somalia, MP for Life, Cheese Love
VIP
Oromo took Jubbaland bruh this is well known history
No it is only well known to the Oromo hoteps who claim everything and everyone. Soon these guys will claim dhusmareeb or beledweyne as Oromo cities. We know your pattern, claim, “immigrate” , start violence, demand representation, then claim majority slowly evicting natives out.

No it is only well known to the Oromo hoteps who claim everything and everyone. Soon these guys will claim dhusmareeb or beledweyne as Oromo cities. We know your pattern, claim, “immigrate” , start violence, demand representation, then claim majority slowly evicting natives out.
bro what why yall tryna change history? oromos lived in jubbaland or waamo in the 1800's a group of darood clients took it from them at their weakest moment

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
geledi sultante was based in gedo and the bay and bokool areas Geledi and the Oromos of waamo used fight and have peace before the Darood came
Oromo if they had a presence in Jubaland were mere nomads and nothing more than another minority group in a Somali land like jareeerweyn.

Somalia is not a land where you can simply claim orm. If oromo were in control of Jubaland until the 1800s then you are saying the Geldi sultanate which ruled it since the late 1600s was Oromo? There's no other way around this claim.
Screenshot_20240213_152107.jpg
Screenshot_20240213_152056.jpg

Somali Saayid

Frm President of Somalia, MP for Life, Cheese Love
VIP
bro what why yall tryna change history? oromos lived in jubbaland or waamo in the 1800's a group of darood clients took it from them at their weakest moment
Darood clients? Shamelessly claiming that Somalis served oromos, only expect this behavior from the likes of the dogs of the Amhara.

Oromo if they had a presence in Jubaland were mere nomads and nothing more than another minority group in a Somali land like jareeerweyn.

Somalia is not a land where you can simply claim orm. If oromo were in control of Jubaland until the 1800s then you are saying the Geldi sultanate which ruled it since the late 1600s was Oromo? There's no other way around this claim. View attachment 315839View attachment 315838
lol Bro really pulled fake maps if oromos didn't live in Waamo then who are these Gallas in jubbaland the Darod clan fought?

geledi sultante was based in gedo and the bay and bokool areas Geledi and the Oromos of waamo used fight and have peace before the Darood came
No, Oromos ruled over by the Geledi were at best second class citizens. Oromos were not a normalized factions and very much considered a foreign force in the region confined to the hinterlands of Jubbaland.

Khaemwaset

VIP
lol Bro really pulled fake maps if oromos didn't live in Waamo then who are these Gallas in jubbaland the Darod clan fought?
Fake maps 😂😂
Now you've progressed to saying Geldi is fake. I'm not saying there was no oromo. I'm saying yall are a .5 at best. You had no control nor power. And was ultimately forced out completely by incoming Darood clans who pushed and took NFD.

Darood clients? Shamelessly claiming that Somalis served oromos, only expect this behavior from the likes of the dogs of the Amhara.
Yes bro the Ogaden were first under a group called Eelay which they were clients for then they became Clients again but for Oromos this time and they used to pay tribute to the aba gada

Khaemwaset

VIP
Yes bro the Ogaden were first under a group called Eelay which they were clients for then they became Clients again but for Oromos this time and they used to pay tribute to the aba gada
Eelay are Somali.

How come Somalis who had organised states were paying tribute to minority herdsmen who only had a precense in the far edges of Juba? Delusional wlhi.

Yes our great Sultan who considered himself equal to the sultan of Oman paid tribute to some bow wielding hinter tribes in the sticks 😂😂🙏🙏

No, Oromos ruled over by the Geledi were at best second class citizens. Oromos were not a normalized factions and very much considered a foreign force in the region confined to the hinterlands of Jubbaland.
Bro Its well known oromo were in waamo till today theirs cities oromo had that have the same names like Afmadow oromos lived in the land in areas like garbaray,afmadow, and ceelwaaq the coastal area were ruled by the omans the Harti took those areas from the omanis

Khaemwaset

VIP
Bro Its well known oromo were in waamo till today theirs cities oromo had that have the same names like Afmadow oromos lived in the land in areas like garbaray,afmadow, and ceelwaaq the coastal area were ruled by the omans the Harti took those areas from the omanis
Hotepry is crazy. Omanis never ruled the banadir that was the swahili coast and that's from Kenya down to Mozambique.

When you're so laangab you're claiming a whole 300 year kingdom is fake and instead ruled by bow wielding barbarians who somehow overpowered the wealthiest advanced region in east Africa.

Eelay are Somali.

How come Somalis who had organised states were paying tribute to minority herdsmen who only had a precense in the far edges of Juba? Delusional wlhi.

Yes our great Sultan who considered himself equal to the sultan of Oman paid tribute to some bow wielding hinter tribes in the sticks 😂😂🙏🙏
Bro read the Darood expansion into waamo back they became clients for Eelay then oromo of waamo when the Darood knew they couldn't the mighty Oromos they had rahanweyn and garre help them