So when Oromo started their expansion from southern Ethiopia, why didn't they try us?

Screenshot 2024-02-13 10.14.07 AM.png

@Khaemwaset Darod took advantage of the weakened oromo clan

They went north and took hararghe and bale from us. Somalis were previously expanding west and we'd be getting into habasha lands if our expansion wasn't cut short by Oromo. They did try to invade modern Somalia but were destroyed and enslaved by the Ajuuran empire during the Gaal madow wars.

Even if the somalis were strong enough to conquer the habesha highlands, camels don't live well there. It's not suitable for nomads.

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
Even if the somalis were strong enough to conquer the habesha highlands, camels don't live well there. It's not suitable for nomads.
Dir and Hawiye Somalis conquered and settled hararghe and parts of bale as farmers. Somalis already adopted farming when the land was very fertile and it was better suitable for them to farm than practice pastoralism. It was these farming Somalis that continued expanding westwards towards habasha until oromo cut it short and started expanding onto habasha themselves.

Either way, habasha were gonna get bent over by either Somali or Oromo expansionism.

Dir and Hawiye Somalis conquered and settled hararghe and parts of bale as farmers. Somalis already adopted farming when the land was very fertile and it was better suitable for them to farm than practice pastoralism. It was these farming Somalis that continued expanding westwards towards habasha until oromo cut it short and started expanding onto habasha themselves.

Either way, habasha were gonna get bent over by either Somali or Oromo expansionism.

Good points and fair enough, but those groups u mentioned are not the majority among the somali clans, no? it seems the most aggressive conquering clans were the darood. my ogadeni friend tell me his clan has mastered the art of conquest lol.

Khaemwaset

Früher of the Djibouti Ugaasate 🇩🇯
VIP
Good points and fair enough, but those groups u mentioned are not the majority among the somali clans, no? it seems the most aggressive conquering clans were the darood. my ogadeni friend tell me his clan has mastered the art of conquest lol.
You can ask Somalis from 15 clans if their's was the master of war and all 15 will give you the same answer.

Trending