Somali athletes competing at the Olympics

He didn't even start that, it shows as DNS, how comes? Did he not turn up?
Yeah he didn’t show up lol. There literally was no reason for him not to.

Worst case scenario he comes last again, that’s still an extra run against solid global competition that you haven’t had. Best case scenario you PB.

Yeah man I don’t want to see him again no offence but bring in some other guys now

Last race tomorrow guys it’s men’s marathon. Starts 8am Paris time. We got:
Bashir Abdi
Mahamed Mahamed
Abdi Nageeye
Bouh Ibrahim
Suldan Hassan

It is an open field and Nageeye + Bashir have medalled before, so we have a chance. Mahamed + Suldan are both pretty young, inexperienced marathoners so if it’s a speed race they can hang but if it’s tactical then it’s not looking good .

Bouh idk anything about you sxb but as long as you finish the race I’ll be happy.

A blast from the past, Somali athletes Hussein Maslah Ahmed and Jama Robleh, from Djibouti, snatched the first and third positions at the 1985 World Cup Marathon in Japan;

82C77EEA-36E1-4F3D-9123-56BC0E76A80E.jpeg

Two years later, Abdi Bile became the 1500m World Champion in Italy;

311D13B8-4BFF-451D-AEEC-5D3E01432C4D.jpeg

Imagine if in the 1990s, Somali athletes had peace, state of the art facilities and government funding fully backing them? There would have been multiple Mo Farah calibre Somali athletes dominating the 2000s and 2020s today under a Somali flag.

A blast from the past, Somali athletes Hussein Maslah Ahmed and Jama Robleh, from Djibouti, snatched the first and third positions at the 1985 World Cup Marathon in Japan;

View attachment 338484

Two years later, Abdi Bile became the 1500m World Champion in Italy;

View attachment 338486

Imagine if in the 1990s, Somali athletes had peace, state of the art facilities and government funding fully backing them? There would have been multiple Mo Farah calibre Somali athletes dominating the 2000s and 2020s today under a Somali flag.
We had a solid NCAA-pro pipeline at that point, my dad used to tell me about how he could see that there were so many talented runners coming through at that point pre-civil war who had great potential, we ended up seeing it with guys like Ahmed Warsama + Mohammed Suleiman.

Once those guys retired we could have built an athletics academy back home to train at too. They all ended up being pretty decent coaches as well (Jama Aden for example coached Olympic gold medallists).

We had a solid NCAA-pro pipeline at that point, my dad used to tell me about how he could see that there were so many talented runners coming through at that point pre-civil war who had great potential, we ended up seeing it with guys like Ahmed Warsama + Mohammed Suleiman.

Once those guys retired we could have built an athletics academy back home to train at too. They all ended up being pretty decent coaches as well (Jama Aden for example coached Olympic gold medallists).
We could have been like Ethiopia and Kenya, what a shame. However, there's still plenty of good diaspora runners coming up.

Trending