The Somalis and the Camel: a Historic Economic Development Toward Islamic Period

But doesn't the perplus of the eraythran sea show that there were somalis or proto somalis all the way down south in the first centruy a.d . Doesn't that mean the split happen several centuries or even a millenia before ?
Somalis simply inhabited the region in those days. Where you saw the Periplus describe inhabitants in the coastal range, those were early Somalis. Periplus describes the period we're talking about, roughly. Somalis came to the region centuries before though.

I have no beef, only referring to the @oogabooga guy who was arguing what I stated, until all the comments were deleted in the J haplogroup Mahreean thread. You were not in that discussion so I would like you not to assume, who did not argue what because I did not say you claimed such or that it took place in the thread you posted in (this was a seperate matter from the other day but was relevant). Ask @Step a side for reference. Other than that, I have no beef with no Hararis (never put them down on this thread or when he was outward calling us primitive and lying as my comments put forth), they are frankly irrelevant as a group in this discussion, only Ethiopianists I was referring to, which that guy was by default argument (doesn't matter where the person is from), saying all the things I systematically broke down on this thread. I used his arguments to demolish them once and for all because he was not the first Ethiopianist who said those things. He was merely the symbol that I used as an example, lol. But let's not make it into a personal matter or petty ethnic beef because this is not about Hararis but Somalis.

Didn't know he was Harari, lets not personalize peoples ethnic identities and have civil disagreements. Besides where i tagged you and mentioned camels he didn't participated in that thread and there was no so called ''Ethopianists'', i was just making the case alone that camel transportation use facilitated trade and economic growth and why it was preferred over the wheel and it's prevalence in medieval sites collaborating it.

Besides that, the camel situation. No. There is no evidence we domesticated it. The word geel itself was a loanword from a Southern Arabian loanword according to linguists. View attachment 340258

The presence in the linguistic depths in Somalis goes to when the Somaloids coalesce in the proto-Sam (as my source stated and underscored by what you posted) - this is only a couple of centuries prior to 0 CE (we're not talking archaic here). Arabians had it earlier, got the wild version, got a depiction of it in their rock art earlier, etc. The genetics of all the camels are related. Separate domestication would mean a wild version of them roaming around in the Somali peninsula showing divergent genetic regionalism from the rest of the world. I think it is best to be rational about this. The earliest evidence of the fossil record in burial sites in the north coincides with this showing the 1st century, the rock art was the latest also attesting to a 2100-1600 time-line. This is fairly rigorous and comprehensive.

You're taking this personally. Somaloids is merely the non-Somali people that did indeed diverge from the continual Somali people at different points. I have established this on genetic grounds. They identities today are divergent and they are not Somalis by ethnicity Somaloids are basically a macro statement of related people that belong to a fairly tight linguistic, genetic and deep-culture phylum. This is a wide-picture assessment, nothing recent, like saying Cushitc. These terms have meaning in their context. I will not conform to your ideas because I never called Rendille Somali, I don't believe that at all, lol. Keep it professional, sxb and stop the accusations. This is the second time. It's devolving the thread into a tasteless direction. This is not a cringe "all those people are Somali" discussion or Hararis suck. That is beneath me. Just laying it out for you. This is strictly anthropological.

With the Afar claim, I literally said they co-used camels, but that they were not relevant in the geography of Somalis... This was about the Somali region, and this was an answer to the claim of @oogabooga who literally claimed Somalis did not deal with the camel caravans... This is not some bum strawman but the actual response to claims made. Ask @Step a side if you think I am simply just breaking down arguments of shadows, lol.

I've read that before , its pretty outtdated because a lot of those languages especially LEC not just Proto-Sam split more then 2000 years ago and they share the same cognates for Gaal/Geel , the economic lexemes could have been exchanged through ancient trade networks.

So it's not adequately known if LEC(Lowland East Cushitics) invented their domestication or if they modeled the idea from a former culture of domestication that they themselves imported from , but what we do know though through rock art and archeolgogical samples is that camels started to replace cattle like the zeburn horned ones at least in the early 1st millenium BCE for importance .

Nope. The source I showed a site that was dated 1600-2100 before the present. We can pin these to that and we see an increase in the later phases that the camel is taking growing emphasis during the 2000-ish years ago time line.

Anyway, I don't want to spend my thread debating you about your impositions, misunderstandings and accusations. I think it is in bad taste because I spent time compiling what is based on evidence on several sources.

aE03Hig.png

The rock art shelter went through different levels of habitation , the other sample dating between 1600-2100 is in the later middle levels of it.

Last edited:
This correlates with the Sabean inscriptions found in Sanaag, dating back around 2,300 years. While this might be a coincidence, it's notable that the J1 haplogroup, which has been associated with the T haplogroup, is still present in the region. Do you think it's possible that the early Somali people with the T haplogroup spoke a South Arabian language? This could potentially explain the 20% Arabic influence in the Maxaa Tiri lexicon and the significant Arabian cultural/genetic impact observed among Northern Somalis.
I think the chance that they were Sabaean elites is high or related people. But as uniparentals shows, they probably came as a unit of dynasty that had historic population-history coherence given the TMCRA on mtDNA and Y-DNA.

There is also the fact that there seems to have been cushites in the Arabian oenisula since 2000 b.c
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You’ve probably heard of the Sabaeans and their migration into the Horn of Africa 3000 years ago.<br><br>But are you familiar with the Horn Africans that migrated into Arabia 1000 years before?<br><br>A short thread on the Tihama Culture of the Red Sea: <a href="https://t.co/sJQh7J2obr">pic.twitter.com/sJQh7J2obr</a></p>&mdash; malandro (@malandroggb) <a href="">August 4, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Didn't know he was Harari, lets not personalize peoples ethnic identities and have civil disagreements. Besides where i tagged you and mentioned camels he didn't participated in that thread and there was no so called ''Ethopianists'', i was just making the case alone that camel transportation use facilitated trade and economic growth and why it was preferred over the wheel and it's prevalence in medieval sites collaborating it.
I tagged you because I wanted to share the topic not involve you in the Harari; this is an ongoing debate you clearly are not privy to and it is cool but get some sense. You're giving more benefit of the doubt to that guy who literally said those things in another thread than me, a guy that you know is moving strangely on this forum saying we could not build anything because we're primitive. I mentioned his ethnicity because he is Harari and claimed they were superior in the thread and used Ethiopan-centric to delete Somalis from their own history. I did not say it happened in the thread you wrote it, nor did it involve you. Let's not repeat these things. I mention people every time I make these threads for engagement, but clearly I learned my lesson with you and will not bother you next time. It's all good sxb:ftw9nwa:

We've had many Ethiopianists here over the years spreading anti-Somali propaganda, so I am merely talking about something that took place over several years, not in the thread you were in nor did I claim you said any of those things. What's with you being obtuse, sxb? I am speaking generally here, not particular to one thread, since no Ethiopians were in that thread... Get the picture. Historically Ethiopian users on this forum have undermined every part of Somali presence in their own history. That is what I am partly responding to. I'm going to look at you side-ways if you start acting like a lawyer for those people actng blind to their arguments which I have dealt with, and the rest of the guys on this anthro-space. This is not personal to them, and not about Ethiopians, but "Ethiopianists." There is a difference.
I've read that before , its pretty old because a lot of those languages especially LEAC not just Proto-Sam split more then 2000 years ago and they share the same cognates for Gaal/Geel , the economic lexemes could have been exchanged through ancient trade networks.

So it's not adequately know if LEC(Lowland East Cushitics) invented their domestication or if they modeled the idea from a former culture of domestication that they themselves imported from , what we do know though through rock art and archeolgogical samples is that camels started to replace cattle like the zeburn horned ones in the early 1st millenium BCE for importance.
We do have strong evidence closer to 2000 years ago on all fronts. I conceded that it could have come a couple of centuries further, like 2700-2500 even. There is no issue with that. But we have genetic aspects as well.

The rock art shelter went through different levels of habitation , the other sample dating between 1600-2100 is in the middle levels of it.
Yes, but there is also the style. Also, I believe if we had it earlier, we would see it in the earlier arts which shows other livestock in abundance.

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
There is also the fact that there seems to have been cushites in the Arabian oenisula since 2000 b.c
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You’ve probably heard of the Sabaeans and their migration into the Horn of Africa 3000 years ago.<br><br>But are you familiar with the Horn Africans that migrated into Arabia 1000 years before?<br><br>A short thread on the Tihama Culture of the Red Sea: <a href="https://t.co/sJQh7J2obr">pic.twitter.com/sJQh7J2obr</a></p>&mdash; malandro (@malandroggb) <a href="">August 4, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
It dates even further back with the Gash Group trading with Arabia, keep in mind E-V32 also took Sinai route into Arabia but might not be related to the Somali one.
I think the chance that they were Sabaean elites is high or related people. But as uniparentals shows, they probably came as a unit of dynasty that had historic population-history coherence given the TMCRA on mtDNA and Y-DNA.
The whole northern coast is a treasure throve, including the many towns situated in Awdal( Abasa, Amud, Awbube and Awbare town etc) several have ancient tombs alongside forts and preislamic and Islamic religious sites(all built of stone) I'll be head on site and will take high-resolution images next year Inshallah.

There is a massive chance there were Cushites in the Arabian peninsula. Trade did occur dealing with obsidian. There was one linguist who said that one of those South Arabian languages had a Cushitic substratum. You have a peculiar material culture that is shown in the Western coast shown by @Cartan Boos thread which I was too busy responding to. There are haplogroup associations as well, which might be more complex and could have entered during the Bronze Age during the Semitic expansion. Then there is the weird megalithic and art style culture which could have a bi-directional association between Neolithic pastoralists and between Arabia out Nile Valley ancestors.

Also yeah, you have Cushitic and Arabian haplogroups that ended in both directions (sometimes probably backmigration) from the Eritrean coast during the 4000-3000 period. I saw some that had ~3600 TMRCA and that was curious.

Last edited:
The whole northern coast is a treasure throve, including the many towns situated in Awdal( Abasa, Amud, Awbube and Awbare town etc) several have ancient tombs alongside forts and preislamic and Islamic religious sites(all built of stone) I'll be head on site and will take high-resolution images next year Inshallah.
A study gave me coordinates to what it claimed to be coordinates to an Adal period ruin deep into Somaliland:

9°53'06.5"N 47°15'34.4"E

1724545734707.png

It is called Maduna.
1724545844676.png

I tagged you because I wanted to share the topic not involve you in the Harari; this is an ongoing debate you clearly are not privy to and it is cool but get some sense. You're giving more benefit of the doubt to that guy who literally said those things in another thread than me, a guy that you know is moving strangely on this forum saying we could not build anything because we're primitive. I mentioned his ethnicity because he is Harari and claimed they were superior in the thread and used Ethiopan-centric to delete Somalis from their own history. I did not say it happened in the thread you wrote it, nor did it involve you. Let's not repeat these things. I mention people every time I make these threads for engagement, but clearly I learned my lesson with you and will not bother you next time. It's all good sxb:ftw9nwa:

We've had many Ethiopianists here over the years spreading anti-Somali propaganda, so I am merely talking about something that took place over several years, not in the thread you were in nor did I claim you said any of those things. What's with you being obtuse, sxb? I am speaking generally here, not particular to one thread, since no Ethiopians were in that thread... Get the picture. Historically Ethiopian users on this forum have undermined every part of Somali presence in their own history. That is what I am partly responding to. I'm going to look at you side-ways if you start acting like a lawyer for those people actng blind to their arguments which I have dealt with, and the rest of the guys on this anthro-space. This is not personal to them, and not about Ethiopians, but "Ethiopianists." There is a difference.

I don't think there is many ethiopianists here and some are just here for the conversation and to learn about their neighbors. It's better not to assume anything nefarious unless they are blatant about it and engage in good faith.

We do have strong evidence closer to 2000 years ago on all fronts. I conceded that it could have come a couple of centuries further, like 2700-2500 even. There is no issue with that. But we have genetic aspects as well.

Yes, but there is also the style. Also, I believe if we had it earlier, we would see it in the earlier arts which shows other livestock in abundance.

We have evidence of camels being present in pre historic times because there are single camels shown a ong side Bos taurus the humpless cattle 3000 BCE on rock art and that humpless cattle was replaced by humped oxen in around 500 BCE.

I don't think there is many ethiopianists here and some are just here for the conversation and to learn about their neighbors. It's better not to assume anything nefarious unless they are blatant about it and engage in good faith.

We have evidence of camels being present in pre historic times because there are single camels shown a ong side Bos taurus the humpless cattle 3000 BCE on rock art and that humpless cattle was replaced by humped oxen (Bos indicutus) in around 500 BCE.

Around early first millennium BCE( a little over 2000 year ago) we have evidence of camels beginning to replace the cattle for importance and instead of seeing single camels among a pack cattle in the rock art we see more of them.

Just like what you have shown here:

The camel takes over as the drying of the land in the north increases, reflected in the faunal depiction in the art itself
x13wM2C.png

yFW8nAp.png

(Same source): p. 207, and 208

Last edited:

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
A study gave me coordinates to what it claimed to be coordinates to an Adal period ruin deep into Somaliland:

9°53'06.5"N 47°15'34.4"E

View attachment 340271

It is called Maduna.
View attachment 340273
With the trade drying up in the region after the 16th century, the majority of these towns just decayed over time, the whole region has been drying up for the previous 2,000 years, but it seems global warming will make Somali wetter.

1724546416564.png

I don't think there is many ethiopianists here and some are just here for the conversation and to learn about their neighbors. We don't have the assume there is always something nefarious
I am not assuming anything; I am taking things how they come with it. They are not here anymore as far as I am concerned the guy was literally banned for those very reasons but they are following a long tradition and we've had successive Ethiopian individuals who have peddled the same thing. And yes, most of them were clear-cut malicious. I don't need you to tell me whether some guy who says Somalis are primitive is doing it out of nefarious reasons or not. Stop it, bro. :mjlol: Now let's move on from this. If you don't get the context, you don't have to comment because I can discern intent from what is written. If I am calling you stupid and primitive and incapable of understanding or doing any sophisticated, then you're noting going to philosophize if it is not in good spirits or not. It's ridiculous. Unless you have internalized the same thing, and at that point, you're a lost cause.

I will ask @Three Moons to give you a rundown on the program if you've been oblivious to the obvious. No one here has beef with random Ethiopians or Hararis. That is a wrong assumption. All this has contexts to these broad topics, not random matters of hate of any kind or idiotic mindless competition.

Irrespective of whether they are here or not, I am informing my people of their history to guard it against malicious actors who have been lying, the latest one being @oogabooga, the Harrari who said Somalis were inferior. You're not going to come here and have a say in how I deal with it. Do manage your own affairs the way you like, not mine. Keep that respect and boundary, bro.

With regards to the camel discussion, it's getting repetitive. Up to this point, you've presented no good evidence for your claim. Everything that I presented was quite tight and rigorous having multiple evidence from different corroborating sources. Other than that, I appreciate your input in other threads, and I will give you the courtesy you've failed to give me in this thread as demonstrated even when informed.

With the trade drying up in the region after the 16th century, the majority of these towns just decayed over time, the whole region has been drying up for the previous 2,000 years, but it seems global warming will make Somali wetter.

View attachment 340277
I've heard before that global warming has a strange way of making the region wetter. I wonder how true that is. These happen in trends, when it has been dry for so long, one thinks it should get better. But Allah is the One who controls these things. Arabia is said to become more green lately. Although that comes with serious things since it is one of the signs.

I am not assuming anything; I am taking things how they come with it. They are not here anymore as far as I am concerned the guy was literally banned for those very reasons but they are following a long tradition and we've had successive Ethiopian individuals who have peddled the same thing. And yes, most of them were clear-cut malicious. I don't need you to tell me whether some guy who says Somalis are primitive is doing it out of nefarious reasons or not. Stop it, bro. :mjlol: Now let's move on from this. If you don't get the context, you don't have to comment because I can discern intent from what is written. If I am calling you stupid and primitive and incapable of understanding or doing any sophisticated, then you're noting going to philosophize if it is not in good spirits or not. It's ridiculous. Unless you have internalized the same thing, and at that point, you're a lost cause.

I will ask @Three Moons to give you a rundown on the program if you've been oblivious to the obvious. No one here has beef with random Ethiopians or Hararis. That is a wrong assumption.

Irrespective of whether they are here or not, I am informing my people of their history to guard it against malicious actors who have been lying, the latest one being @oogabooga, the Harrari who said Somalis were inferior. You're not going to come here and have a say in how I deal with it. Do manage your own affairs the way you like, not mine. Keep that respect and boundary, bro.

With regards to the camel discussion, it's getting repetitive. Up to this point, you've presented no good evidence for your claim. Everything that I presented was quite tight and rigorous having multiple evidence from different corroborating sources. Other than that, I appreciate your input in other threads, and I will give you the courtesy you've failed to give me in this thread as demonstrated even when informed.

Just calmly explain simply why he is wrong , or just ignore em .

Saying Somalis are primitive as a Harari is actually delusional. If Somalis who controlled the trade camel caravan and commerce of the city to export out of our own coastal ports and was the majority craftsmen inside the town, part of the clergy class and cultivated cash crops like coffee in the vincinity of the Harar are primitive , what does that make Hararis or other Ethiopians?

Petty stuff hardly worth fussing over, there is more i can mention but you catch my drift.

NidarNidar

♚Sargon of Adal♚
VIP
I've heard before that global warming has a strange way of making the region wetter. I wonder how true that is. These happen in trends, when it has been dry for so long, one thinks it should get better. But Allah is the One who controls these things. Arabia is said to become more green lately. Although that comes with serious things since it is one of the signs.
It's only southern Arabia that gets wetter the map shows up to 2050, hopefully, we will pass the worst of the droughts in Somalia, it's not looking too good for Iraq, Tigris and Euphrates are driving up at such due to man-made dams in Turkey.

Just calmly explain simply why he is wrong , or just ignore em .

Saying Somalis are primitive as a Harari is actually delusional. If Somalis who controlled the trade camel caravan and commerce of the city to export out of our own coastal ports and was the majority craftsmen inside the town, part of the clergy class and cultivated cash crops like coffee in the vincinity of the Harar are primitive , what does that make Hararis or other Ethiopians?

Petty stuff hardly worth fussing over.
That was the point of this very thread. The whole thread was just straight to the facts, no-nonsense. I don't have time for trolling or getting dirty to sling mud. No one showed you that side here either; no fuss or petty -- it's just a historical/anthropological/archeological/ethnographic breakdown. Now you're telling me what I already did. It's kind of obnoxious. But anyway, let's not derail this thread. I have spent time fleshing out what really did not need explaining.

It's only southern Arabia that gets wetter the map shows up to 2050, hopefully, we will pass the worst of the droughts in Somalia, it's not looking too good for Iraq, Tigris and Euphrates are driving up at such due to man-made dams in Turkey.
Yes. I saw the CaspianReport video on the dam situation and drying of the two rivers. It is tragic and I do think the bias Shirvan has of Turkey is too strong because he is an Azeri himself. Sure, Turkey is in the conversation. They should have a say and some concessions, but the YouTuber pretended Turkey had no blame, only that they had the "right." There is something evil with cutting off water. And I do agree that those dams might help Turkey with many things but it looks like Iraqis have no power to do anything. I'm not some anti-Turkey guy but that situation kind of is sad because a whole civilizational river might dry up leaving millions in the dust for water shortage.

My stance is the same as I had with the Ethiopian dam: if the downstream countries are going to suffer then you need to tone it down and do a trade-off.

I did not know that it was in Southern Arabia only. That is curious. Maybe we're talking about a longer time-window into the future with regards to the greening of Arabia then.

There is a pretty simple way to combat desertification and they have already successfully implemented in Northern Kenya, and other African countries

The same place , only a decade a part.
One thing he should do is apply holisitic management , he can turn the whole area into thicker grassland by doing plan grassing with the cattle

Keep them in one area let them poop etc and then move them to another etc. You fertilize the soil and give it time to recover by not overgrazing it.

images

There is a pretty simple way to combat desertification and they have already successfully implemented in Northern Kenya, and other African countries

The same place , only a decade a part.

Where you see desertification its usually in areas of intense civilization use that degrades the land.

Overgrazing and/or overframing, soil degradation clearing large areas of forests to make room or for wood to building material or fuel which destabilizes the soil, irigation that salinates the soil or population pressures from growth in population one area that depletes that land by usage.

Controlling for these things , leads to a reversal.

Trending