Tribal elder advises the father of Luul to forgive her killer and give him another wife.

”you can burn her if you want” was said in jest though, I don’t think thats proof of them valuing womens lives less tbh. Very inappropriate joke though.
When you combine that with saying women are 50 and men are 100 hence the life of a man is worth more and saying that they’re willing to marry to marry off HG women to Sheikhal ect as some sort of ‘replacement’ of a beloved daughters that paints a deep picture. Even without the ‘you can burn her’ comment, it’s disturbing and insidious.

You can’t take things as a joke when there isn’t a history of misogynistic commentary. Somalis of todays modern world have said it themselves: Women don’t have qabils, hence a woman’s life isn’t worth the same as an actual tribal member.

When you combine that with saying women are 50 and men are 100 hence the life of a man is worth more and saying that they’re willing to marry to marry off HG women to Sheikhal ect as some sort of ‘replacement’ of a beloved daughters that paints a deep picture. Even without the ‘you can burn her’ comment, it’s disturbing and insidious.

You can’t take things as a joke when there isn’t a history of misogynistic commentary. Somalis of todays modern world have said it themselves: Women don’t have qabils, hence a woman’s life isn’t worth the same as an actual tribal member.

What is a mans life worth in Somalia?

I can’t argue that people in Somalia believe womens lives are worth less than men when many of these men die daily at the hands of soldiers, policemen, and regular men and nobody is held accountable. If anything it seems that cases involving women seems to garner more public outcry and are more likely to be resolved by the state.

I’m not denying that sexism is a problem, I just don’t think the kind of sexism you’re describing exists in Somalia (yet ..). There’s widespread exploitation, mistreatment and murder of vulnerable people yes, because there are no institutions to protect *anybody*. Therein lies the issue.

But I don’t think that they genuinely believe womens lives are worth less. Nobodys life is worth anything in Somalia.

This man himself doesn’t come off as a wise individual. Pretty easy to see why people are calling him a grifter. His manipulation tactic is apparent.

The wise story he told was pretty stupid too. Only a father who doesn’t care for or hates his girls would marry them to a man who would lay a finger on them.

On my socials I’ve seen more women advocating for the wife killer to not be killed. It was shocking at first but now I’m not so surprised. There’s many people who lack xikmad, a sense of justice and empathy in the society.