After 2021, what will happen to the diaspora?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maestro

Cultural revolution
As Bahal said. In the west after a generation or two The middle class will assimilate to white people while reer ghetto will assimilate to blacks and Jamaicans. The rest will simply go back. Canada is an example of what's to come

I think In places like Russia, Pakistan, China, India, Brazil and such the population is way too small to have a significant long lasting diaspora. They will simply assimilate and be extinct or just move back to Somalia

The only places that will have a long diaspora that doesn't assimilate is Africa and Arabia. Not surprising because they are close to Somalia and also because the communities there are more tightly knit and seclusionist.

Which means there's No cultural diversity like the Jews or other spread out people with common ancestors. People here agree We will simply assimilate or move back, no such thing as developing a new regional culture that shoots off Somali (like American-Italian New York culture for example)

It's surprising how easy it is to invest or create a successful business in Somalia.
Seriously, if you have the necessary capital required to start it up then khalas you're in, there are too many empty holes present in the Somali economy and people will be glad to fill the holes in your wallet :pachah1:

Start a candy shop or something sxb you will be very successful :kanyehmm:

I am not the business type but I am sure willing to help the shoe-shiners get a more professional setting, the wheel barrow owner upgrade to a better method of carrying more, help many set up their small start-up shops composed of a matt on the ground with candies and some goods on it for sale. By then I hope the Dollar is worth something, or we are all doomed, me and my imaginary beneficiaries LOL.

My paycheck for retirement won't be too much but it sure can help many do better with it. Otherwise, I would just use it for food and rent and give to others who were meant to have it.

Keo

VIP
I highly doubt the majority of Somalis in foreign lands will fully assimilate cause its in our nature to be stubborn and xenophobic to foreign cultures lol. Of course you'll have the likes of Mo farah that have married outside their ethnicity and sort of assimilated.

Anyways, if the Somali gov't doesnt get its shit together then most diaspora will continiue to live in foreign lands. As for me, i still consider Somalia my home, even though i've lived abroad for a long time. Thankfully, i've made trips as a young lad to Somalia to stay connected to my people and culture.
Same, I've been to Somalia twice already.

my knowledge means nothing in Somalia. the only way to bring theories to life is in the lab using chemicals and equipment that cost millions of dollars. unless i become rich enough to stock my own lab in Somalia, i can only be useful in the west.

You will fit right in the Public University's Chemistry lab in 2040. You donate your time and knowledge there and get satisfaction. Who said you have to live there permanently? :)

Nin xun

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
if you ever go back to Somalia and you actually want to make some sort of change, then stay away from opening your typical Somali businesses such as hotels, restaurants etc..

without a functional government to properly tax them, these businesses just serve as means of filling your pockets and won't have a positive impact on the locals or the development of the country.
Business are very important as they create employement and increases the economic growth in the country. Most of the problems can be traced down to the fact that the unemployement is huge back home.

Last edited:
You will fit right in the Public University's Chemistry lab in 2040. You donate your time and knowledge there and get satisfaction. Who said you have to live there permanently? :)
:obama:

that might not be such a bad idea. in few years when i make enough money, in sha Allah I might go back for 3 years and teach chemistry in university for free.
I can even use my BSc lectures to teach.:ohhhdamn:

I will have to find a uni with a decent lab though. most of the learning is usually practical.

Gambar

VIP

that might not be such a bad idea. in few years when i make enough money, in sha Allah I might go back for 3 years and teach chemistry in university for free.

I will have to find a uni with a decent lab though. most of the learning is usually practical.
You can start a lab walaal.

Gambar

VIP
It's not worth it lol it's as you said you'll be playing catch up for several decades. I'm sure a great deal will change in our life time but you wouldn't even be able to enjoy most of it...

Loool I like most aspect of our culture but some parts deserve to die :icon lol:
It is worth it wallahi just being away from all life's stress is one of the biggest advantages.

Business are very important as they create employement and increases the economic growth in the country. Most of the problem back home can be traced down to the fact that the unemployement is huge back home.
i like our entrepreneurial side but the only problem i have with people opening businesses back home is that the majority are concerned with filling their pockets so they open hotels and restaurants. these might hire few people but the money is taken out of the community. since they are not properly taxed, they don't contribute to the development of the country in a major way either.

Probably more than just chasing success, i have bengali and Indian friends that actively help their country by investing and creating businesses back home whilst also prospering in the UK as well. When it comes to business, the diaspora Asians work as a network/collective. I guess those Somalis chasing "success" most likely have lost hope in Somalia.
:francis::snoop:
I see the same thing over here. In Toronto, Tamils and Somalis both immigrated at the same time from similar backgrounds. Both communities came from war torn areas and basically started from nothing. 25 years later you can see a huge difference between us and them economically.

The problem is that successful Somalis don't network. All of their successes are individual to themselves and their immediate families. It doesn't extend to the community at large.

One of our biggest mistakes is thinking that getting a university education and a corporate job is enough. Somalis in the diaspora need to get together and use our education and experience to create businesses and jobs for themselves. What's the point of getting a degree if you're only going to be working for other people until you retire?

We really shouldn't buying our basic necessities from other communities, we should have our own businesses that we buy from and support.

At least people now are aware of the problems. We just need to take action.

First time was 2005 and I visited Qardho & Bosasso. Second time was 2015 and I visited Qardho but stayed in Hargaisa for a few days. My maternal grandmothers family own businesses in Hargeisa.
I've visited Bosasso for family as well and i've been to the white beaches in Garacad. Great memories wallahi.
:umad::rejoice:

Last edited:
First time was 2005 and I visited Qardho & Bosasso. Second time was 2015 and I visited Qardho but stayed in Hargaisa for a few days. My maternal grandmothers family own businesses in Hargeisa.

Wonderful man. I would have honestly shown up for your class if I am around to give my support and also do some talking there in front of the younger Somalis. We would own the place for sure. In a good way LOL.

I think for the educated Somalis, donating their time is one way to give back and do something for their country men. Keep this idea in mind Xirzi. Instead of feeling hopeless for what you can not get due to the poor state of the country, you can be hopeful for what you can give to Somali kids.

PS: You let me introduce the Element of Iron on the periodic table. I would have no issues explaining to them how that Element is Extraterrestrial and landed from space onto earth for starters. Make their head spin a little and careful so we don't get accused of being crazy LOL.

Nice to meet you Xirzi.

Gambar

VIP
with what money sxb.

chemicals are expensive, glassware costs thousands.

on top of that, basic machines cost millions.
You can start a foundation, getting funding for your foundation, and use the funding to build your own lab and teach those skills to Somalis.

You can form an association of Somali chemists and ask for donations worldwide. Register all Somali chemists anywhere through social media and get started that way. You might end up with a descent small lab for college level chemistry. It is 2040 after all? :)

You can start a foundation, getting funding for your foundation, and use the funding to build your own lab and teach those skills to Somalis.
i will keep that idea in mind for the future in sha Allah.

if I can get several people with different backgrounds in chemistry, we can definitely start a foundation to fully equip a university lab.

I'd invest in alternative energy instead of a boring old hotel or restaurant. Maybe one of them rain water harvesters to collect rain water, it's a shame so much is wasted when people are literally dying of drought

It is worth it wallahi just being away from all life's stress is one of the biggest advantages.

Eedo I can't be walking around in jilbaab :damn:

Nin xun

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
i like our entrepreneurial side but the only problem i have with people opening businesses back home is that the majority are concerned with filling their pockets so they open hotels and restaurants. these might hire few people but the money is taken out of the community. since they are not properly taxed, they don't contribute to the development of the country in a major way either.
The problems with creating other types of businesses like factories for example is due to the fact that electricity is very expensive and instead you have hotels and restaurants who give a somewhat good ROI because of the flow of visiting diaspora. That and the fact that somalis are copycats, when one somali opens a barbershop on the corner, some other somali will open one as well and in the very same block.

Status
Not open for further replies.