After 2021, what will happen to the diaspora?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmarLittle

Not your typical Farah
There is a lot of optimism here, and I hope it turns out that way. However, present day, are Somalis even connected country wise or even diaspora wise? I live in the United States, and there are many "Somali associations" -- but are they connected? Do they have a national President and chapters? Not from what I can see. Why don't Somali leaders don't publish real-time data on Somalis? Like how many graduate high school, going into the workforce or college or how many have criminal records, etc? What not have yearly conference and conventions on Somali excellence or issues regrading that state, country?

Gambar

VIP
There is a lot of optimism here, and I hope it turns out that way. However, present day, are Somalis even connected country wise or even diaspora wise? I live in the United States, and there are many "Somali associations" -- but are they connected? Do they have a national President and chapters? Not from what I can see. Why don't Somali leaders don't publish real-time data on Somalis? Like how many graduate high school, going into the workforce or college or how many have criminal records, etc? What not have yearly conference and conventions on Somali excellence or issues regrading that state, country?
Somali associations are probably divided by qabiil.

Bielsa

Free Wi-Fi > Free Palestine
VIP
Somali associations are probably divided by qabiil.

They are. Even mosques are. I remember once visiting a city in England and they had 3 mosques within 1 square mile radius Somali xaafad. I thought it was odd. And when I inquired about, surprise surprise, qabil disputes was the reason.

Jujuman

Accomplished Saaxir
Fact is aslong as qabiil is greater than the nation then Somalia isn't headed in the direction of progress.

This toxic qabyaalad is what initially lead to the civil war and state of anarchy we see today. Therefore it's pertinent that this major structural fault which continues to dog Somali society is fixed.

Salafism and Islamist Jihadist groups are merely a symptom of this structural fault and aren't even exclusive to Somalia only, they're seen in Yemen, Libya and Syria all these nations having one thing in common in that they're failed states.

Business endeavours along with any other forms of investment will be plagued and ultimately squandered by qabyaalad.

How will this issue be ultimately solved? It remains beyond me but one thing's for sure; unless this root problem is addressed providing answers to other problems will be fruitless.

@sahersi You should consider something more applied in nature than an esoteric chemistry lab that won't employ locals or anything. Think something like a pharmacy or a pulp and paper mill. That will benefit the locals by orders of magnitude more than say some cutting-edge graphene lab whose only impact is publishing in obscure journals that won't be read or appreciated by any of the locals.

All the professional associations I know have membership fees. They form the revenue base to operate the project. If 1000 Somali professionals pay $20/month that would add up to a lot of money.

Having companies to sponsor is a bonus but why would they put money into it when the members themselves don't invest in it.

$20/mo is nothing by the way. Membership fees run in the thousands depending on what profession you're in.

You could also significantly increase the membership fees and have the members use it as a tax write-off in most places.

If conditions in Somalia still persist then I'd say the best thing to do here in the west is bettering the Somali communities we live in here . We should have community centers where the community can meet and discuss things that are affecting Somalis here in the west. Somalis here have many of our own problems that we need to discuss and find solutions for eg. unemployment, youth crime, gangs, high divorce, etc.
The community center could have sport facilities(bball court, soccer field) for Somali youth, a tutoring center to help kids with homework, daycare, cafe, restuarant, wedding hall etc..
We need to get rid of our qayalad or a community center won't work. Some of these things could even be funded by government grants in Canada as I heard.

@sahersi You should consider something more applied in nature than an esoteric chemistry lab that won't employ locals or anything. Think something like a pharmacy or a pulp and paper mill. That will benefit the locals by orders of magnitude more than say some cutting-edge graphene lab whose only impact is publishing in obscure journals that won't be read or appreciated by any of the locals.

i do have few Somali friends doing pharmacy. i might try and convince them to take their knowledge back home. that would actually be really useful since the majority of the medicine that comes into the country are expired or come from dodgy places like india.

as for me, i think what i am currently learning is more suitable in a lab and as you said won't be much use to the locals. i think the best way i can give back would be teaching what i know. maybe even inspire few kids who can go on to open their own paper mills.

Fact is aslong as qabiil is greater than the nation then Somalia isn't headed in the direction of progress.

This toxic qabyaalad is what initially lead to the civil war and state of anarchy we see today. Therefore it's pertinent that this major structural fault which continues to dog Somali society is fixed.

Salafism and Islamist Jihadist groups are merely a symptom of this structural fault and aren't even exclusive to Somalia only, they're seen in Yemen, Libya and Syria all these nations having one thing in common in that they're failed states.

Business endeavours along with any other forms of investment will be plagued and ultimately squandered by qabyaalad.

How will this issue be ultimately solved? It remains beyond me but one thing's for sure; unless this root problem is addressed providing answers to other problems will be fruitless.

It is fine. You leave your good imprint behind and do what you can to prepare the future for those growing up. If we stopped being positive because the odds are not in favor, nothing will change. The aim is slow change. I personally have no home or a piece of land in Somali territory though I am from the southern part of it and was born there. Yet, I will have no problem retiring there prepared to contribute inshallah. in the way I can.

i do have few Somali friends doing pharmacy. i might try and convince them to take their knowledge back home. that would actually be really useful since the majority of the medicine that comes into the country are expired or come from dodgy places like india.

as for me, i think what i am currently learning is more suitable in a lab and as you said won't be much use to the locals. i think the best way i can give back would be teaching what i know. maybe even inspire few kids who can go on to open their own paper mills.

Teachers can be the coolest. Some of My best memories in the schooling system are those of my literature teacher who told our class a love story, first for me back then :) Being a teacher can have great impact and lasting impressions on kids.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Why not ? The west has its own delicacies you may like...

I live in a society that developed a racial system which pretty much permanently places Africans at the bottom of the social ladder.

An Italian or Irishman whose father came to the country will always be more of an American than an African American whose ancestors were brought here in the 1600s.

The AA has not only adopted English as a mother tongue, he has also accepted Christianity. What hope is there for a muslim Somali in the long run? Miscegenation until your life is boiled down to your white great grandkid telling people he's 1/8 Somali?

same!!

I don't think I will ever go back to live in Somalia. even if the country becomes safe with a stable government, it will always be 100 years behind the west. its not like the west will be stagnant while African countries play catch up. this country would probably be some futuristic place when Somalia finally reaches a developmental level similar to that of the west in 2017.

I'm not too fussed about my children losing their 'culture' either :zhqjlmx:
This doesn't make sense because Singapore was backwards compared to Malaysia in 1950 and look at the reverse now, Africa was the first home of humanity and yet Asia and the Americas have more people, growth isn't always linear and the future won't look like you expect it to, people living in the Roman Empire in 0 AD probably wouldn't have believed you if you said folks would forget how to wash their asses in the west for a thousand years, so don't count your ducks before they hatch :farole:

Yes we're starting to, here's one I donated to yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.