It's the same as when we see Arab men wearing suits, it doesn't suit them.

Elegant/Powerful

1694911516734.png

What is this?

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 01.43.45.png

Aside from the last man, who is wearing an Arab head-dress, these are the robes that high-ranking Somali men wore.
Same story everywhere the suit was a formal high ranking thing and just turned over time as people got richer into the formal attire for everyone. That how things go across all cultures except for some reason ours instead you lot want us to do the reverse and then wonder why no one choose to wear it especially standing besides what the women wear which is way over the top in comparison. Somali mens attire looks hoboish and cheap in comparison to what somali women wear to formal events

Same story everywhere the suit was a formal high ranking thing and jaut turned over time as people got richer into the formal attire for everyone. That how things go across all cultures except for some reason ours instead you lot want us to do the reverse and then wonder why no one choose to wear it especially standing besides what the women wear which is way over the top in comparison. Somali mens attire looks hoboish and cheap in comparison to what somali women wear to formal events

It looks hobo-ish, if it's a T-Shirt from Walmart. But if it's an expensive material, then it would look classy. Also, Somali men can style it with turbans, swords and other accessories!

Khaemwaset

FrΓΌher of the Djibouti Ugaasate πŸ‡©πŸ‡―
VIP
Same story everywhere the suit was a formal high ranking thing and just turned over time as people got richer into the formal attire for everyone. That how things go across all cultures except for some reason ours instead you lot want us to do the reverse and then wonder why no one choose to wear it especially standing besides what the women wear which is way over the top in comparison. Somali mens attire looks hoboish and cheap in comparison to what somali women wear to formal events
I'll wear one of those attires when i wedding

attash

Amaan Duule
And those robes are of Arabian origin. The first guy was literally wearing a bisht just like a Khaleeji man. Why is it Arab clothes when we wear it, but it isn't when our ancestors wear it? :ayaanswag:

Just let us enjoy our Arab drip in peace.

Those thobes were styled differently, our ancestors had ethnic pride and imagination. They don't go to AliBaba.com and buy a Bisth and then wear it lopsided with half of the head-dress missing.

Khaemwaset

FrΓΌher of the Djibouti Ugaasate πŸ‡©πŸ‡―
VIP
And those robes are of Arabian origin. The first guy was literally wearing a bisht just like a Khaleeji man. Why is it Arab clothes when we wear it, but it isn't when our ancestors wear it? :ayaanswag:

Just let us enjoy our Arab drip in peace.
This is not directly Arab. Some of those guys did wear Arabian clothing but the majority of the photos aren't.
Olol_Dinle (1).jpg

The bisht and khamiis are Arab clothes. The versions those men were wearing aren't native to Somalia.
It doesn't matter no one even wear it any more I'm saying modernise it and Change it up so it's more unique and elegant for formal wear with that design as a start. None of this matters really because mawis is indian/Indonesian peasant culture that we adopted in our exchanges with them and the dress shirt is from the west. Nothing we wear is native in the first place. Our history has been a center point/hub where different cultures meet.

All I'm saying is adopt what as already have worked with and looked good in the past and make it our own with some changes.

Last edited:
It looks hobo-ish, if it's a T-Shirt from Walmart. But if it's an expensive material, then it would look classy. Also, Somali men can style it with turbans, swords and other accessories!
Well I'm never gonna be seen dead in that I don't even wear a mawis I hate it.

I'm planning on getting myself a custom tailor made version of our old stuff like in those photos with a turban and a better looking belt to go with it.
Maybe a sword or a dagger to go with it.

Our current belt despite being the best part of the outfit looks cheap and tacky aswell.

The white mawais doesn't look good when you mix it with western attire no matter the quality of either imo.

Last edited:
This is basically how your asking us to turn up if you wanna see it how we see it.

1694912859652.png

No amount of changing the colour and quality of material really makes it any better then this. It's pyjamas and peasant wear πŸ’€ plus not formal at all.

It's all gonna look hobish alongside a woman dressed in something like this

Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 00.43.50.png

Last edited:
@Idrus has anyone actually brought back the old stuff at any point since the collapse?

are we literally gonna have to be the first guys to bring it back from the dead :wow:

I guess we will have to just set the trend and put everyone else on. looks like there is no other alternative :mjdontkno:

attash

Amaan Duule
This is not directly Arab. Some of those guys did wear Arabian clothing but the majority of the photos aren't.View attachment 294000
I guess you could say that Somalis implemented their own embroidery style on it, but the clothing is still Arab. And like I said, the guy on the first photo was wearing purely Arab drip, you can't deny that.

I'm rocking the boqortoyo fashion next somali wedding i go to

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220114-193241_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220114-193241_Chrome.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 70

Calaami

Garaadka Guud ee Beesha Calaamka
It is kind of cringe seeing Somali grooms pulling up with a bisht and doing the Gulf tradition of welcoming your bride into the robe. That isn’t your culture, that’s their culture. Let them have it, you’ve got your own.