Canadian media exposes Somali Imam: "You have to choose either Allah or Canada"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
He was the imam of DH at one point. And no, everyone in Toronto (at least the adults) loved this guy.

Tbh, when I think of Salafis, I think of TROID, which has refuted KBW and Abu Huraira plenty of times. But yeah, I agree with your point that a lot of young people become Salafi when they become religious, but that's more an influence of the internet than the mosques.

There are different branches of Salafi Islam but they're all united in their very literal understanding of the religion. I don't believe it's the influence of the internet because the internet is a level playing field for ideas. If that were the case, we wouldn't be seeing a disproportionate amount of young practicing Somalis identifying as Salafis. It's clear that they're being indoctrinated.

What % do you think Somalis in Canada are Salafis?

I can only speak for Toronto but in the under 35 generation, I would say it's over 80%. Even if they're not practicing and you ask them about their religious views, more likely than not, it will be in line with Salafism.

Most young Somalis in Toronto are not Muslims. They don't know what Salafi is. Maybe 80% of those who actually practice Islam are Salafis.

Most young Somalis in Toronto are not Muslims. They don't know what Salafi is. Maybe 80% of those who actually practice Islam are Salafis.

This is extraordinary claim that you have absolutely zero evidence for.

Foh with that BS fantasy. Don't project your cadan booty licking ways on the greater majority of Somalis in Toronto. :camby:

John Michael

Free my girl Jodi!
VIP

Majority of the girls I see wear hijab, I see loads of young guys in khamis'.

I think a lot of somalis must've converted to Islam since you've last been to T.O

:obamaswag:

This is extraordinary claim that you have absolutely zero evidence for.

Foh with that BS fantasy. Don't project your cadan booty licking ways on the greater majority of Somalis in Toronto. :camby:

The average young Somali in Toronto are like Sumaya, Robin Banks, Hodan Nalaye and that gay dude from Ryerson. Very liberal and open

They may say we are "Muslim" but they're not. Almost all Somalis in Toronto are not proper Muslims. They just have Muslim origins. Sort of like how a white guy here today is mixed with a dozen European ethnicities but claims only German because that's what his paternal grand grand grand grand father who first arrived here was.

Darusalam is the same as Assalam Mosque. Never heard of them doing anything Sufi related, let alone Sufi dances lol

The one in Hunt Club. They changed their name to something else after fighting with Mohamed Rashads son. They broke off after they disagreed with the clan who ran As Salaam.

You know nothing about Ottawa Somali affairs. Iska amus.

They do Sufi dances at night. The clan who run As Salaam are from the most Sufi region in Somalia. I've seen them do dances with my own eyes.

SuldaanMethylamine

Scheming from Salaxley
The one in Hunt Club. They changed their name to something else after fighting with Mohamed Rashads son. They broke off after they disagreed with the clan who ran As Salaam
Dar As Sunnah you mean. That one has an Arab imam, and the board is mixed. Disagreed with the clan kulaha

Are you talking about the fact that the average Somali person in Toronto doesn't pray 5 times a day?

Let's be honest. The majority in Toronto don't even fast. Tarawiih prayer is foreign to them. They don't even go to Eid prayer; they wake up at 1pm and go to the All You Can Eat Chinese buffet. This is what Eid is to them.... A day off.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP

Not Muslims? Why? How? If they identify as Muslims, they're Muslim. They may not be practicing, but the vast majority of them intend to so in the future.

@Duchess What are your religious views then (i.e. your understanding of the religion)?

I follow Sheikh Hamza Yusuf so I practice Sunni Islam but with Sufi leanings. Spirituality is an important part of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.