Do smart people worry more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
150414_SCI_SmartWorriers.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Illustration by Mark Stamaty

If you worry a lot, fear not—your anxiety just might be a sign of high intelligence. The idea has been around for a while: The adage that ignorance is bliss suggests the reverse, that knowledge involves anguish. Now it’s starting to get some scientific validation.

In a recent study, for instance, psychologist Alexander Penney and his colleagues surveyed more than 100 students at Lakehead University in Ontario, Canada, and asked them to report their levels of worry.

ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

The researchers found that students with more angst—for instance, those who agreed with survey statements like “I am always worrying about something”—scored higher on a verbal intelligence test.

Advertisement

The perception that worrywarts are smart is bolstered by a peculiar 2012 experiment by psychologists Tsachi Ein-Dor and Orgad Tal, from the Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya in Israel. The experiment inflicted seemingly incidental bursts of stress on 80 students.

higher IQ than those with milder symptoms.

The idea that worriers are cannier than average may just seem to make sense—a worried mind is a searching mind, and smarter people may have the cognitive agility to examine multiple angles of any situation, for better or worse. And as Penney and his colleagues wrote in their study, “It is possible that more verbally intelligent individuals are able to consider past and future events in greater detail, leading to more intense rumination and worry.”

The relationship—if it is real—could work in both directions. Children who are predisposed to be anxious may be more attentive or diligent in school, for instance, and therefore improve their intelligence. And smart people may find more things to worry about.

Someone afflicted by fear of flying will conjure up all kinds of wildly creative scenarios in their head, according to Manhattan psychotherapist Jonathan Alpert, who paints anxiety as a form of vigilance. The sufferer may worry that the mechanic was tired and failed to check the plane properly, he told me. Or the worrier may fret about a bird flying into the motor. And so on.

Advertisement

If imaginative agitation is based on a realistic take on future events, according to Los Angeles–based therapist Allen Wagner, it can lead to the safety solutions that prevent disasters, which sounds smart.

This interpretation of anxiety, though, contradicts other studies showing a negative link between intelligence and anxiety. In Coplan’s study showing higher IQ in people with more severe symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder, for instance, higher IQ correlated with lower worry in the control group.

According to Robert Epstein, a psychologist at the American Institute for Behavioral Research and Technology, the smarter you are, the more chilled you are. “There are exceptions, obviously, but the basic finding is sound. One explanation for the negative correlation is pretty straightforward: When people are anxious, they don't think very clearly,” Epstein told me.

Still, the suspicion persists that a tendency to be twitchy just might bequeath a mental advantage. Many brilliant thinkers suffered from anxiety, including Nikola Tesla, Charles Darwin, and Kurt Gödel.

Advertisement

Despite his magisterial image, Abraham Lincoln was high-strung; he described himself as “naturally of a nervous temperament.”

A poem ascribed to the formidable orator features this desperately fraught stanza:

To ease me of this power to think,
That through my bosom raves,
I'll headlong leap from hell's high brink
And wallow in its waves.

Edvard Munch’s masterpiece The Scream came to him during a panic attack that played out as a vision of a blood-red sky. “I stood there trembling with anxiety—and I sensed an endless scream passing through nature,” Munch is quoted saying.

Top Comment

The part I feel that is left out here is that people who suffer severe anxiety often have phobias and know that those fears are irrational. Their intelligence and awareness of this does nothing to temper that irrational fear. 132 CommentsJoin In

Whatever your level of creativity, if you are dogged by dread, the trait may mean you are more likely to avoid danger. Better anxious and animate than brash and dead.

So the next time someone tells you to relax, explain that nervousness has its virtues. A jittery streak could even be spun as a strategic workplace advantage—a subtle sign of excellence and an up-scale IQ. Nobody is making a case for raging paranoia, but at a pinch, above-average unease just might be something to brag about. Whatever else, it means reduced risk of falling prey to overconfidence.

David Wilson is a roving Anglo-Australian journalist who has tackled topics from statins to anti-anxiety apps. Follow him on Twitter.

SLATE'S CULTURE BLOG
DEC. 18 2016 4:44 AM

If you worry a lot, fear not—your anxiety just might be a sign of high intelligence. The idea has been around for a while: The adage that ignorance is bliss suggests the reverse, that knowledge involves anguish. Now it’s starting to get some scientific validation.

In a recent study, for instance, psychologist Alexander Penney and his colleagues surveyed more than 100 students at Lakehead University in Ontario, Canada, and asked them to report their levels of worry.

ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

The researchers found that students with more angst—for instance, those who agreed with survey statements like “I am always worrying about something”—scored higher on a verbal intelligence test.

Advertisement

The perception that worrywarts are smart is bolstered by a peculiar 2012 experiment by psychologists Tsachi Ein-Dor and Orgad Tal, from the Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya in Israel. The experiment inflicted seemingly incidental bursts of stress on 80 students.

The idea that worriers are cannier than average may just seem to make sense—a worried mind is a searching mind, and smarter people may have the cognitive agility to examine multiple angles of any situation, for better or worse. And as Penney and his colleagues wrote in their study, “It is possible that more verbally intelligent individuals are able to consider past and future events in greater detail, leading to more intense rumination and worry.”

The relationship—if it is real—could work in both directions. Children who are predisposed to be anxious may be more attentive or diligent in school, for instance, and therefore improve their intelligence. And smart people may find more things to worry about.

Someone afflicted by fear of flying will conjure up all kinds of wildly creative scenarios in their head, according to Manhattan psychotherapist Jonathan Alpert, who paints anxiety as a form of vigilance. The sufferer may worry that the mechanic was tired and failed to check the plane properly, he told me. Or the worrier may fret about a bird flying into the motor. And so on.

Advertisement

If imaginative agitation is based on a realistic take on future events, according to Los Angeles–based therapist Allen Wagner, it can lead to the safety solutions that prevent disasters, which sounds smart.

This interpretation of anxiety, though, contradicts other studies showing a negative link between intelligence and anxiety. In Coplan’s study showing higher IQ in people with more severe symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder, for instance, higher IQ correlated with lower worry in the control group.

According to Robert Epstein, a psychologist at the American Institute for Behavioral Research and Technology, the smarter you are, the more chilled you are. “There are exceptions, obviously, but the basic finding is sound. One explanation for the negative correlation is pretty straightforward: When people are anxious, they don't think very clearly,” Epstein told me.

Still, the suspicion persists that a tendency to be twitchy just might bequeath a mental advantage. Many brilliant thinkers suffered from anxiety, including Nikola Tesla, Charles Darwin, and Kurt Gödel.

Advertisement

Despite his magisterial image, Abraham Lincoln was high-strung; he described himself as “naturally of a nervous temperament.”

A poem ascribed to the formidable orator features this desperately fraught stanza:

And wallow in its waves.

Edvard Munch’s masterpiece The Scream came to him during a panic attack that played out as a vision of a blood-red sky. “I stood there trembling with anxiety—and I sensed an endless scream passing through nature,” Munch is quoted saying.

Top Comment

The part I feel that is left out here is that people who suffer severe anxiety often have phobias and know that those fears are irrational. Their intelligence and awareness of this does nothing to temper that irrational fear. 132 CommentsJoin In

Whatever your level of creativity, if you are dogged by dread, the trait may mean you are more likely to avoid danger. Better anxious and animate than brash and dead.

So the next time someone tells you to relax, explain that nervousness has its virtues. A jittery streak could even be spun as a strategic workplace advantage—a subtle sign of excellence and an up-scale IQ. Nobody is making a case for raging paranoia, but at a pinch, above-average unease just might be something to brag about. Whatever else, it means reduced risk of falling prey to overconfidence.

David Wilson is a roving Anglo-Australian journalist who has tackled topics from statins to anti-anxiety apps. Follow him on Twitter.

SLATE'S CULTURE BLOG
Im average in intelligence

ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

And wallow in its waves.

Top Comment

SLATE'S CULTURE BLOG
who is eebe?:cosbyhmm:
eebe means god in somali. transcripts suggest that its probably what we called waaq before islam came.

The Islaan still has yet to figure out correlation =/= causation. I actually feel too cruel in even mentioning the looming irony in this thread. :mjlol:

@Canuck the genius woman of the Lamagodleys. :salute:

I didn't even ask for his picture lmao this guy has no shame
clear.png
Nayaa get the f*ck over it. It's not that deep... No part of the male's "awrah" was revealed; honestly it was an innocent pic. It must've been the highlight of your year for you to keep going on about it.

Aren't you the one that boasts going out in short skirts? Kulaha no shame

HAHAHAHA this nigga actually sent you a nude? Acuthubillahi mina shaitani rajeem. What I hypocrite. I literally told him a few days ago what a munafiq he is. Fucking degenerate.
It wasn't a nude you fucking xoolo

Mudug-Madman

Gaalkacyo Gangster
Simping won't get you brownie points.:kodaksmiley:
Did you say something? Cause all I heard was ogga booga dooga. :mjlol:

Nayaa get the f*ck over it. Honestly it's not that deep... No part of the male's "awrah" was revealed; honestly it was an innocent pic. It must've been the highlight of your year for you to keep going on about it.

Aren't you the one that boasts going out in short skirts? Kulaha no shame

It wasn't a nude you fucking xoolo

You're a fucking degenerate wannabe e-sheikh. You know she's an atheist, why are you messaging her and sending her your pic? Unless you had further plans?:lolbron:

Damn, so not only do you not know how to flirt with women without simping and attacking a next man, but you ain't funny either. :kodaksmiley:

I will make a recommendation before the holidays begin that beesha opens up a satellite office for a social AMISOM to teach the kids of Dixon how to behave like proper, civilized men with the appropriate sense of humor and in courting women. Obviously the current status quo is not working. :kodaksmiley:

Mudug-Madman

Gaalkacyo Gangster
Damn, so not only do you not know how to flirt with women without simping and attacking a next man, but you ain't funny either. :kodaksmiley:

I will make a recommendation before the holidays begin that beesha opens up a satellite office for a social AMISOM to teach the kids of Dixon how to behave like proper, civilized men with the appropriate sense of humor and in courting women. Obviously the current status quo is not working. :kodaksmiley:
I'm sorry. I still don't understand. Are you speaking a human language, or some form of monkey talk?:what1:

You're a fucking degenerate wannabe e-sheikh. You know she's an atheist, why are you messaging her and sending her your pic? Unless you had further plans?:lolbron:
Nope. No plans at all... I've messaged my pic to many female members, including Canuck herself before.

If I had future plans: I would have at least included my face in the pic or better yet, given her my instagram.

It was more of a boast really :gunsmiley:

Keep simping though. "Mudug-Madman" kulaha... More like Mudug-Wasteman

Mudug-Madman

Gaalkacyo Gangster
Nope. No plans at all... I've messaged my pic to many female members, including Canuck herself before.

If I had future plans: I would have at least included my face in the pic or better yet, given her my instagram.

It was more of a boast really :gunsmiley:

Keep simping though. "Mudug-Madman" kulaha... More like Mudug-Wasteman
I can literally sense your thirstiness through my computer screen. Sending shirtless pics to women from all over the world that you don't even know. That's not the behavior of a ladies man, it's the behavior of a nigga who can't get women in real life. And you have the nerve to call me a simp? I'm only pointing out your desperation. :drakewtf:

Status
Not open for further replies.