Do you think it's racist or bigoted to not find an ethnicity/group attractive?

Do you think it's racist or bigoted to not find an ethnicity/group attractive?

• Yes

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 48 87.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This!

+ Indians and the Indian Lite women (Pakis and Bengalis) - I don't think I've ever seen an attractive woman from those countries.

I don't find most Arab women attractive either, North Africans are holding the banner for them.

That's because North Africans aren't even Arab, they're Berbers.:mjlol:

BANTU

+op MVLI
It is racist.

You may not think it's racist, but most racism (ethnocentrism) is unconcious.

If you say 'I don't find X, Y and Z race attractive' you should stop and ask yourself why.

If your reasons have to do with features and skin tone, you're racist. In fact, it is the definition of racism.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
It is racist.

If you say 'I don't find X, Y and Z race attractive' you should stop and ask yourself why.

If your reasons have to do with features and skin tone, you're racist. In fact, it is the definition of racism.
So is it racist to not really mention any specific race, but say "I don't find women with wide/large noses attractive"?
After all you're not really singling out black women, as there are black women who don't have this feature. Or do you think it's still racist?

OmarLittle

Not your typical Farah
It is racist.

Majority of the people who disagree are like:

giphy.gif

My nigga, we get it that you're Bantu, but don't be tooooooo Bantu. By the way racism is superiority over another race.

Oh shit, say what?

5c0.png

It's power + privilege now?

giphy.gif

BANTU

+op MVLI
So is it racist to not really mention any specific race, but say "I don't find women with wide/large noses attractive"?
After all you're not really singling out black women, as there are black women who don't have this feature. Or do you think it's still racist?
Yes.

Because features are how races are defined (in the modern European sense). So, if an African American is said to have a 'good' nose or 'good' hair, she is being praised for another race's features.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Yes.

Because features are how races are defined (in the modern European sense). So, if an African American is said to have a 'good' nose or 'good' hair, she is being praised for another race's features.
But there are white women with "black" noses :bell:
If someone doesn't find her attractive for the very same reason he doesn't find a black woman attractive, then how is it racist? He's explicitly ignoring race and looking at facial features he finds appealing.

BANTU

+op MVLI
But there are white women with "black" noses :bell:
If someone doesn't find her attractive for the very same reason he doesn't find a black woman attractive, then how is it racist? He's explicitly ignoring race and looking at facial features he finds appealing.
Because facial features are a key definition of race. It's also not a hard science so don't treat it as such.

BANTU

+op MVLI
I don't agree with you but all right then :manny:
The word "racist" seems to have lost all meaning in today's world.
All I'm saying is this:

You seem to believe because a minority of a race may not exhibit the features of the majority of that race, this is not a racial issue.

When, in fact, part of the definition of a race is physical characteristics, how do YOU define a race? By the outliers or by the majority?

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
All I'm saying is this:

You seem to believe because a minority of a race may not exhibit the features of the majority of that race, this is not a racial issue.

When, in fact, part of the definition of a race is physical characteristics, how do YOU define a race? By the outliers or by the majority?
Let's scale it back a bit. In your earlier comment you seemed to imply that ethnocentrism is the same as racism. But that isn't true.
One of them is evaluating other cultures and ethnicities through the lens or values of your own, and the other is straight up prejudice, discrimination or antagonism against other races or ethnicities based on the assumption that they are lesser to yours. How are they in any way the same, and what makes you think that finding certain facial features and traits attractive (which is a must, given that every culture has a beauty ideal), makes you racist? In that sense everyone from every culture is racist.

OmarLittle

Not your typical Farah
All I'm saying is this:

But, you believe in "race". What's race? Did you mean ethnicity?

BANTU

+op MVLI
Let's scale it back a bit. In your earlier comment you seemed to imply that ethnocentrism is the same as racism. But that isn't true.
One of them is evaluating other cultures and ethnicities through the lens or values of your own, and the other is straight up prejudice, discrimination or antagonism against other races or ethnicities based on the assumption that they are lesser to yours. How are they in any way the same, and what makes you think that finding certain facial features and traits attractive (which is a must, given that every culture has a beauty ideal), makes you racist? In that sense everyone from every culture is racist.
In a globalized world, ethnocentrism is okay?

When Americans and Europeans disparage and insult Islam every day, they're being ethnocentric. I guess that's fine.

As to your final point, beauty ideals should be constantly challenged because (unlike organic beauty ideals) we're constantly marketed and sold this concept.

Codeine

I got me some braids and I got me some hoes

When Americans and Europeans disparage and insult Islam every day, they're being ethnocentric. I guess that's fine.

As to your final point, beauty ideals should be constantly challenged because (unlike organic beauty ideals) we're constantly marketed and sold this concept.

You're talking so much shit b. Sometimes you just got to take a step back before you get lost in the sauce

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300

How are Europeans and Americans being ethnocentric when insulting Islam when a big part of Western culture is tolerance and acceptance? If anything disparaging and insulting other cultures goes against Western ideals and values, regardless of how many people do it.
Your point seems pretty flimsy tbh :manny:

BANTU

+op MVLI
How are Europeans and Americans being ethnocentric when insulting Islam when a big part of Western culture is tolerance and acceptance? If anything disparaging and insulting other cultures goes against Western ideals and values, regardless of how many people do it.
Your point seems pretty flimsy tbh :manny:
What are you even saying? You just keep moving the goal post.

Bottom line:

race = phenotype = features

Deal with that however you choose, but it's a fact.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about the word 'race' being problematic, we can. But it's a separate conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.