I am tired of Habesha people thinking I am one of them

It’s become a weekly thing and it’s annoying now smh.

The other day at work a Habesha woman came up to me and asked me “are you Ethiopian or Eritrean?” I said I am Somali. Then she was like “what??? You don’t have a Somali looking face at all I thought you were 100% habesha”. The habesha housekeepers also like to greet me in (amharic? tigrinya?) in the hallways but I ignore them because I don’t understand what they’re saying.

Last week I went to a hairdresser (who is Ethiopian) and she was like “you have very Ethiopian hair, I have many Somali clients and you hair does not feel like theirs” wtf does that mean????

I don’t even think I have similar features to them, I certainly don’t have that big eye shape. And Somali people have been able to tell I’m Somali.

Does anyone else have this problem?

some nigga mistook me for eritrean, i dont really take it personally to be fair. Everyone in that region looks the same. Even so its mad disrespectful. Ethiopians think they are the standard for everything :snoop:

some nigga mistook me for eritrean, i dont really take it personally to be fair. Everyone in that region looks the same. Even so its mad disrespectful. Ethiopians think they are the standard for everything :snoop:
I just find it annoying and rude when they try to act like I couldn’t possibly be Somali bc I “look sooo habesha”

Why would I need to lie? Yes there are Somalis that look somewhat similar to Habeshas, they need to get over it lmao

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP

The other day at work a Habesha woman came up to me and asked me “are you Ethiopian or Eritrean?” I said I am Somali. Then she was like “what??? You don’t have a Somali looking face at all I thought you were 100% habesha”. The habesha housekeepers also like to greet me in (amharic? tigrinya?) in the hallways but I ignore them because I don’t understand what they’re saying.

Last week I went to a hairdresser (who is Ethiopian) and she was like “you have very Ethiopian hair, I have many Somali clients and you hair does not feel like theirs” wtf does that mean????

I don’t even think I have similar features to them, I certainly don’t have that big eye shape. And Somali people have been able to tell I’m Somali.

I'd took that as an insult.

Khanderson

Coping through the 1st world
Do you wear hijab in public? If you don’t then maybe that’s why they think you’re one of them. Some Somali women can pass as habesha in public if they don’t wear hijab in public.
My mom looks habesha sometimes when she doesn’t wear hijab.

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement, T-Y16897 Arabi
Some northerners have a weird Habeshi look. I'm also mistaken for Habesha a lot once even by another Somali. I think its because we mixed with Oromos like Akisho who invaded in the 16th century after the adal sultanate collapsed

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement, T-Y16897 Arabi
Only the light ones can pass not the dark ones. Only the Somalis that are light skin can pass as Habesha not sure of the dark ones.
I'm dhuxul but still get mistaken for them. Its a facial feature thing not skin tone

johnsepei5

Head of Somalia freemasonry branch
M

maybe it’s your hair
Do you happen to have 4A or 4B hair?

Khanderson

Coping through the 1st world
I'm dhuxul but still get mistaken for them. Its a facial feature thing not skin tone

Habesha’s are sometimes stereotyped as lighter skin than Somalis. Even though the majority of them are darker. I can only assume they thought you were “Oromo Ethiopian” (since majority of Ethiopian population are Oromo decent).

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
habeshas usually have large eyes with more upper eyelid exposure while somalis are more likely to have hunter eyes with small or zero upper eyelid exposure somalis are also known to have stronger bonemass and facial structure due to our ancestors primary diet of milk and meat and vice versa for ethiopians due to being more sedentary and living on a primary diet of grains there is also the height difference as well due to habeshas living in highlands thus tending to be more shorter and stout and somalis living in lowlands and being bigger and taller. so it may be that you have typical habesha features that makes them think yojr ethiopian cause personally for me I was not once ever mistaken for ethiopian maybe arab or sudanese but never ethiopian.

Bari

Garabsare
@empressjamila beautiful eyes walaal Alahuma barik, you do look a bit Habesha judging from that pic. It’s common tho, out of my many siblings 2 can pass and one of them looks straight up ethio/eri wey dacdaa. Xabashida are good looking people on average so take it as a compliment.

Trending