Majors/degrees/whatever you all are doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mechanical and electrical/electronic engineering are the most versatile. You can work in most fields with those degrees. But my advice is to go with electrical and electronic engineering because their field is harder, demand a higher salary and there is less competition.

Everyone says I should have picked Mechanical because it get's any jobs an Aerospace degree would get. I find Electronics boring though.

Everyone says I should have picked Mechanical because it get's any jobs an Aerospace degree would get. I find Electronics boring though.

Mechanical is more diverse. Aero is basically mechanical with a few modules swapped for aerodynamics and flight dynamics modules. The aerospace industry is unreliable anyway and if you look at labour statistics, you'll find there's a shortage of jobs in the industry.

Electrical/electronic is interesting if you are working on renewable energy, electric vehicles, smartphone and computer technology.

Stay away from :
Civil engineering & Architecture - No jobs
Biomedical Engineering - Too specialized, get a bachelors in Mechanical then master in Biomedical
Chemical & Petroleum engineering - Western Oil fields are becoming slow and they would rather hire seniors rather than new grauduates

Be cautious of:
Mechanical engineering: While there are jobs you need to network constantly and always keep on the lookout,
most people take this degree and more often than not they dont end up with a job due to the market and not having the right contacts.
Especially if you are a somali, don't befriend other somalis in your program, befriend ajnabis and others and always go to career fair.

Mechatronics: Mostly designing robotics this program is referred to jack of all trades as it incorporates Electrical engineering and Mechanical engineering
disciplines together. Not a bad field you just need to be smart about it.

Recommended:
Electrical engineering: Steady market, although its one of the most challenging degrees its also really rewarding.
Computer engineering: Another tough program but with the booming tech industry you can never go wrong with this degree.
Software engineering: Jobs and Jobs everywhere.... You don't even need to network or make friends, just need to be competent in programming
and you are good to go

Mechanical is more diverse. Aero is basically mechanical with a few modules swapped for aerodynamics and flight dynamics modules. The aerospace industry is unreliable anyway and if you look at labour statistics, you'll find there's a shortage of jobs in the industry.

Electrical/electronic is interesting if you are working on renewable energy, electric vehicles, smartphone and computer technology.
They both are just as diverse to be honest if you go in-depth in both, Mechanical just seems to be inbetween Automotive and Aerospace.
But yeah that's what I am worried about. I also would have found electronics interesting if I didn't hate circuits so much:ohhhdamn:.

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
Get into anything Software related be it computer science, Big Data Analytics, Information Management systems or whatever fancy names they call it. Not only will you have a guaranteed job, your progression will sky rocket, check out Silicon Valley if you get time, it's like an island for tech ppl.

Get into anything Software related be it computer science, Big Data Analytics, Information Management systems or whatever fancy names they call it. Not only will you have a guaranteed job, your progression will sky rocket, check out Silicon Valley if you get time, it's like an island for tech ppl.

Yeah. Maths with computer science and statistics are becoming hot thanks to big data analytics, machine and deep learning.

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
Yeah. Maths with computer science and statistics are becoming hot thanks to big data analytics, machine and deep learning.

Keep a lookout for AI too, that's all getting fueled by machine learning.

Innovation in technology is what will set men apart in the next 30 years. Big US firms like AT&T are close to rolling out 5G whilst Nokia are trying to bring back the 3310. Dadka isku darajo maha

Horta why are engineers paid so poorly in the UK. It's practically peanuts when you compare it to other countries :susp:

I want a six figure salary too

Horta why are engineers paid so poorly in the UK. It's practically peanuts when you compare it to other countries :susp:

Yeah, unless you have an interest in engineering I would never recommend following that career path. In the UK, engineers earn pennies compared to Medicine, Dentistry and even pharmacy and optometry. It's because the UK is more of dependent on it's service sector. It's why a lot of engineering students go into finance after they graduate.

Yeah, unless you have an interest in engineering I would never recommend following that career path. In the UK, engineers earn pennies compared to Medicine, Dentistry and even pharmacy and optometry. It's because the UK is more of dependent on it's service sector. It's why a lot of engineering students go into finance after they graduate.

I'd go straight into finance too if I was faced with that salary :jcoleno:

CS isn't as bad but it's significantly lower as well :damn: UK is where hopes and dreams go to die wallahi

I can only speak for software engineering but the difference is due to the tax system and benefits. Here in the UK a lot of benefits are paid through tax, whereas in the US you have to pay from your salary.

Also there's a big diference between someone working in finance in London and somebody writing back office code in Wales.

Keep a lookout for AI too, that's all getting fueled by machine learning.

Innovation in technology is what will set men apart in the next 30 years. Big US firms like AT&T are close to rolling out 5G whilst Nokia are trying to bring back the 3310. Dadka isku darajo maha
AI and automated technology is the future. If I was in school right now I'd most definitely enroll in some kind of electro-mechanical engineering or comp sci program.

I can only speak for software engineering but the difference is due to the tax system and benefits. Here in the UK a lot of benefits are paid through tax, whereas in the US you have to pay from your salary.

Also there's a big diference between someone working in finance in London and somebody writing back office code in Wales.
What position do you hold if you don't mind me asking?

I'm a backend developer working on referral systems and pathway management services for the NHS but also private health orgs.
Nice, all my Internships so far have been front-end development which is extremely boring, I severely hate HTML/CSS and javascripting.
I'm gonna try to land a back end development , Embedded systems , or Api inshallah.

The physics is very, very elementary in ME. Everything is essentially extensions and applications of what you learn in a Physics 101 textbook along with the things you never touched on. No quantum, no E&M, no Stat Mech, and no relativity. The math is almost never more advanced than multi-variable calculus and a little bit of simple differential equations here and there, fluid dynamics being the only notorious exception which you can skip in many cases. I would say EE and ChemE are far more math and physics intensive than ME.

Despite that, ME is still also one of the best engineering degrees you can have of all the disciplines.
Are you kidding? First of all, Mech Es start with classical mechanics as their first physics course and multi variable calculus is only the third semester math. You take applied linear and statistics for engineers after that. Electricity and magnetism is also a must, and vector physics after that. There is also both regular mechanics (statics and dynamics) as well as fluid mechanics. Then there is thermodynamics and lastly heat transfer courses. Where the hell do you guys live for engineering to be so easy? Someone mentioned earlier how you could bypass physics and get an engineering degree.

While it may make sense to get a degree in technology, just remember that in market-based economy, the market determines the worth of a degree. All the software or IT credentials would mean peanuts if there's no market demand.

Besides, no one knows what the future holds. There may be high paying fields that you never heard of.

Nice, all my Internships so far have been front-end development which is extremely boring, I severely hate HTML/CSS and javascripting.
I'm gonna try to land a back end development , Embedded systems , or Api inshallah.
Keep trying different fields until you find something you like doing, for me I prefer abstract thinking and implementing business logic to moving around pixels. I also hate dealing with non-technical people.

Admin

Community Manager
Staff Member
Administrator
Yesterday I received my certification in warehouse and storage management level 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.