My FGM story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambar

VIP
Many mothers don't want it done. I've seen it both ways, and it's ultimately important so the girl will have marriage prospects to a man, and be considered chaste, adhering to normative attitudes. This isn't coming from a vacuum.
The mothers who don't want it done are a minority. It has more to do with reputation than marriage to be quite honest, because when Somalis live in such closed quarters they know everybody's business and don't want their daughters to be pointed out as the uncut ones. It's a women led phenomenon, its meant to please the man but men barely have any say so.

VixR

Veritas
my point stands, this is a women driven practise.
It doesn't stand.

But go about how Type 4 infibulation is a women-perpetrated, woman-instigated, beauty regimen :mjlol:
The mothers who don't want it done are a minority. It has more to do with reputation than marriage to be quite honest, because when Somalis live in such closed quarters they know everybody's business and don't want their daughters to be pointed out as the uncut ones. It's a women led phenomenon, its meant to please the man but men barely have any say so.
Pointed out as the uncut ones that're apparently capable of misdeeds. Duh. Reputation and marriage are inexorably linked, don't attempt to mince them..

The father has a say as well as the mother. There's a vacuum where the girl-child 'has to be' subjected to it to ensure her marriage prospects aren't ruined, and on the man's end, getting a closed product he's expected to break into with his dick.

waraabe

Your superior
It doesn't stand.

But go about how Type 4 infibulation is a women-perpetrated, woman-instigated, beauty regimen :mjlol:

Pointed out as the uncut ones that're apparently capable of misdeeds. Duh. Reputation and marriage are inexorably linked, don't attempt to mince them..

The father has a say as well as the mother. There's a vacuum where the girl-child 'has to be' subjected to it to ensure her marriage prospects aren't ruined, and on the man's end, getting a closed product he's expected to break into with his dick.

But even your fellow women are saying it's women instigated procedure

Gambar

VIP
It doesn't stand.

No you are wrong, and you don't know about Somali culture walaashiis.

Gambar

VIP
Do elaborate.
Trust me it is very simple walaashiis. Somalis are holistic thinkers and not analytical. FGM is 100% propagated by ayeyos and is entirely based on reputation. It is also a money making scheme so if the practice is banned they will be out of business. It's pretty much normal now to have a girl who is uncut. Men don't care for it and do not even have a say. These issues don't necessarily intersect.

VixR

Veritas
Trust me it is very simple walaashiis. Somalis are holistic thinkers and not analytical. FGM is 100% propagated by ayeyos and is entirely based on reputation. It is also a money making scheme so if the practice is banned they will be out of business. It's pretty much normal now to have a girl who is uncut. Men don't care for it and do not even have a say. These issues don't necessarily intersect.
Don't mistake my words, I'm not saying women don't have a hand in it. But to say it's unilateral to the point women are the main perpetrators is patently false.

Reign

Pro Women's Rights|Centrist
VIP
Some somali parents are xoolo. How does your daughters vagina effect your reputation? Thank God fgm is no longer common.

Gambar

VIP
Don't mistake my words, I'm not saying women don't have a hand in it. But to say it's unilateral to the point women are the main perpetrators is patently false.
They really are though. I saw it for myself where women were blatantly lying after agreeing to stop performing it on young girls. It's funny because FGM is seen as a necessary and pure for a girl, but those who cut the girls come from lower castes and are seen as unclean, unpure, and not marriage material.

VixR

Veritas
They really are though. I saw it for myself where women were blatantly lying after agreeing to stop performing it on young girls. It's funny because FGM is seen as a necessary and pure for a girl, but those who cut the girls come from lower castes and are seen as unclean, unpure, and not marriage material.
I'm aware of all this. It really shouldn't come as a surprise that they'd be reluctant, considering all that's been said. But you're not connecting the dots on its larger purpose and utility, nor seeing the big picture, sis. Listen, I have much older half-siblings who were born in Somalia, and one who's still there. My father is old. I may not have been there, but I've heard enough. And I know ppl who had taken to foreign countries, not even to Somalia, to get their daughters 'taken care of'. In fact, I also know my own parents discussed it, and how much of a force it is. The picture you're painting is skewed.

@VixR

Your so out of touch you don't even realise it sadly, @Gambar is on the money here, stick to your Europhile apologist type of topics, you clearly out of depth here when it comes to Somali issues.

I hope more videos like this pop up, expose the backwards xoolonimo

And these ppl want her to be silent as well! Shameful
What solution do you see in videos like this? Everyone will watch and say oh how sad and move on. Solutions lie in going back home and telling those eedos to stop and educating. Maybe influencing laws against it and etc.. But showing the world your vagina as you undergo a surgery or making youtube videos like this one will not change anything. non somali people are not going to care nor are they going to change anything.

oh right you are more concerned about 'exposing' something rather than actually finding ways to change things.

FGM is barbaric right? inspire change, and certainly youtube video, in English, which means the people we should be targetting(old somali people) are already excluded, will not help. :camby:

Status
Not open for further replies.