somali man on r/askmiddleeast questions Arabs on whether hes allowed to call himself one

Hamzza

VIP
Doesn't mean I'm cool with all Arab peoples/states, the South Yemeni backstabbers need to be taught a lesson for siding with Ethiopia.

Socotra needs to be liberated.
A country called South Yemen doesn't exist now so move on. Socotra belongs to Yemen. Stop the unukalehism sxb.

A country called South Yemen doesn't exist now so move on.

Socotra belongs to Yemen. Stop the unukalehism sxb.
I know it doesn't officially exist, but there is an active South Yemen movement that controls lands in Yemen.

Socotra belongs to Somali Arabs. The archipelago is too close by to allow a foreign power to control. Sweet revenge never hurts.

I know it doesn't official exist, but there is an active South Yemen movement that controls lands in Yemen.

Socotra belongs to Somali Arabs. The archipelago is too close by to allow a foreign power to control.

Yemen will eventually become like Somalia with their pro-independence, semi-independence, federalist and centralists factions.

It's pretty much already a divided mess, its a shame Somalia isn't strong to exploit the situation over there.

Taking over Socotra would not be possible, even if we were strong today. Remember what happened when MSB dragged Somalia into the Ogaden war? Everyone turned on Somalia and foreign supports of the rebels against country. There are a lot of interests in Yemen today, that it would back fire again.

Then there are a local indigenous population inhabiting there. That would be equivalent to the Bajuuni islands being annexed from Somalia. I highly doubt that the locals would collaborate, instead the would mount resistance to all outsiders.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Everyday there is a new troll, what happened to having hobbies.

Make sure guys your kids have hobbies, somalis are natural extroverts, staying inside a house all day is harmful for us. Especially your boys.

Internet is making us retarted, guys please touch grass (go outside) for atleast 2 hours a day. Especially in these summer months, time to get that vit D

Yaraye

VIP
I see those who believe that we are arabs the same as those gaalo who say humans come from apes. Delusional little shits all of them :hova:

Hate it or love it but Somalis are culturally, historically and genetically connected to the Arab world. The Arab world should be renamed the Afro-Asiatic world.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Hate it or love it but Somalis are culturally, historically and genetically connected to the Arab world. The Arab world should be renamed the Afro-Asiatic world.
Too broad sxb there is no other ethnicity similar to us somalis. We do have substantial cultural influence from arabs but its ”superficial” (loanwords and stuff akin to that).

Don't bypass the question, kkk. Ma carab baad tahay (ama Soomaalidu guud ahaan)? Haa ama maya? :sass2:
You're a history nerd. Jawaabta noo cadee :whoo:

Don't bypass the question, kkk. Ma carab baad tahay (ama Soomaalidu guud ahaan)? Haa ama maya? :sass2:
You're a history nerd. Jawaabta noo cadee :whoo:

😂 you had to put me in this situation don’t you.

No we are not Arabs. Neither are the Egyptians or Palestinians. However all these Arab “speaking” countries can sense the genetic, cultural and linguistic similarities we share with them. We are not a langaab race and shouldn’t feel scared to join our greater “macro tribe” who so happen to all live within the borders of the Arab world excluding Ethiopia and Eritrea. The confusion happened when they decided to call these people “Arabs” instead of the Afro Asitiac world or something similar to it. It’s like the French calling the European Union, “greater France”. Other countries inside this union wouldn’t have that and neither should we. This is why I believe we should rename the Arab world and it’s citizens from Arab world and Arabs to something else that’s more inclusive to all the people within its borders. I believe Ethiopia and Eritrea should join this union too. Heck it was literally only 3500 years ago when we were stationed at the borders of Egypt.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
You're missing the point. Somalis are infinitely closer to Arabs/Hamito-Semitic peoples than to Black Africans on a ethnocultural basis.

The only things Somalis share with Black Africans is the significant ancient Black African admixture we carry.
Cap sxb.

We share many aspects of our nomadic culture with nilotes, some whom cushites have even admixed with (nilo-cush ethnic groups). Somalis in particular also seem to have influenced them a lot. This is an example

This tutsi dance is similar to the wilisaqo dance of somalis.
A tutsi guy actually noticed the similarity while watching wilisaqo video and commented that.

Here is theirs

There was a video of Luo (nilotic ethnic group) men snapping their fingers after shaking their hands. This happens after buying cattle. Somali do the same. Unfortunately I can’t find the video.

Also not all arabs are close to us. Many arabs are Shia and my good friend is one. I find them very culturally distant. We only share similarities with arabs who we have interacted with, Oman, South Yemen, Egypt and maybe KSA (Hejaz region in particular).

We also share a lot with swahili muslims, the notable koofi we wear is from them, they wear our clothes and somalis actually controlled Pate, a historical swahili town. We have interacted with each other for centuries.

Cap sxb.

We share many aspects of our nomadic culture with nilotes, some whom cushites have even admixed with (nilo-cush ethnic groups). Somalis in particular also seem to have influenced them a lot. This is an example

This tutsi dance is similar to the wilisaqo dance of somalis.
A tutsi guy actually noticed the similarity while watching wilisaqo video and commented that.

Here is theirs

There was a video of Luo (nilotic ethnic group) men snapping their fingers after shaking their hands. This happens after buying cattle. Somali do the same. Unfortunately I can’t find the video.

Also not all arabs are close to us. Many arabs are Shia and my good friend is one. I find them very culturally distant. We only share similarities with arabs who we have interacted with, Oman, South Yemen, Egypt and maybe KSA (Hejaz region in particular).

We also share a lot with swahili muslims, the notable koofi we wear is from them, they wear our clothes and somalis actually controlled Pate, a historical swahili town. We have interacted with each other for centuries.

You are closer to the Cushitic tribes from Kenya than you are to a Syrian that’s true. Same thing with the Germanic tribes. They are closer to each other than they are to the Celtic tribes from wales and Ireland but they all relate to each other under the Indo European umbrella if they go back further in time. The share same paternal lineages, same macro language family (Indo European), same culture they inherited from their Yamnaya ancestors etc. Likeiwse you share the same macro language Afro asiatic with the Syrians (excluding Kurds, Turkmen etc), same genetic and cultural background you both inherited from your Natufian “like” ancestors etc. At the end of the day after the Cushitic tribes it’s the other groups like the Egyptians, Amazigh, Semites etc that are your closest distant relatives.

😂 you had to put me in this situation don’t you.

No we are not Arabs. Neither are the Egyptians or Palestinians. However all these Arab “speaking” countries can sense the genetic, cultural and linguistic similarities we share with them. We are not a langaab race and shouldn’t feel scared to join our greater “macro tribe” who so happen to all live within the borders of the Arab world excluding Ethiopia and Eritrea. The confusion happened when they decided to call these people “Arabs” instead of the Afro Asitiac world or something similar to it. It’s like the French calling the European Union, “greater France”. Other countries inside this union wouldn’t have that and neither should we. This is why I believe we should rename the Arab world and it’s citizens from Arab world and Arabs to something else that’s more inclusive to all the people within its borders. I believe Ethiopia and Eritrea should join this union too. Heck it was literally only 3500 years ago when we were stationed at the borders of Egypt.

Thanks for the explanation sxb. Regarding Arabs, I feel like it becomes controversial amongst Somalis (and Arabized people outside of Arabian Peninsula) when the topic is ethnicity. Aside for that, many of us recognize the influence from Arabic, Arabs and Arabized people had in our continent. Which even reaches the gaalos living next to us.

Even the colonizer that came very recent have coined terms like anglophone and francophone countries in Africa without it being controversial, however as soon as anyone mention Arabic/Arab influences, with a longer history on our land; you get disregarded.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Trending

Latest posts