Sultan Osman Mahmud II of Majeerteeniya and his young son. Aug. 9, 1911

Khaemwaset

FrΓΌher of the Djibouti Ugaasate πŸ‡©πŸ‡―
20240716_010343.jpg
20240716_010344.jpg

Khaemwaset

The visiting Australian crew had tea with the Boqor and concluded the meeting 'with much bowing to His Highness, the Sultan'.

The Boqor saw them off, holding the Sword of State, and watched from a distance by the beach as they rowed away.
20240716_023853.jpg

Internet Nomad

βœͺπ•°π–˜π–”π–™π–Šπ–—π–Žπ–ˆ π•¬π–’π–“π–Šπ–˜π–Žπ–†π–ˆβœͺ
Those swords are so common is it really foreign made?

I have seen these swords wielded more than the native bilao swords.

Internet Nomad

Unlike others If such a thing is widely common among Somalis I'd imagine it is native or at least adapted by Somalis until proven otherwise
Look at this close up. Does this look like an augmented hilt. What’s up with the W shape? Could it be foreign but the locals customised the hilt.
IMG_3477.jpeg

Here are the traditional hilt for reference
IMG_3522.jpeg

IMG_3521.jpeg

Internet Nomad

The swords do look foreign design but it wouldn’t be surprising if it was locally made after Somalis got familiar with it.

Khaemwaset

Look at this close up. Does this look like an augmented hilt. What’s up with the W shape? Could it be foreign but the locals customised the hilt.
View attachment 334598
Here are the traditional hilt for reference
View attachment 334595
View attachment 334596
The swords in the bottom pic became popular during the Dervish war no? So it could be a recent style I haven't seen old (pre dervish) pictures with those type of swords yet.

Also Somalis would naturally have many styles of Swords so just because we have one style doesn't mean you won't find others sometimes in the same region even. Completely native made.

Internet Nomad

Here others with the hilt resembling the native hilt.
1721094647659.jpeg

1721094663247.png

Internet Nomad

The swords in the bottom pic became popular during the Dervish war no? So it could be a recent style I haven't seen old (pre dervish) pictures with those type of swords yet.

Also Somalis would naturally have many styles of Swords so just because we have one style doesn't mean you won't find others sometimes in the same region even. Completely native made.
Yeah the Sudanese had multiple sword styles.
1721094725345.jpeg

So it wouldn’t be shocking to find out that Somalis who been trading with much of the old world for thousands of years to have adopted many different sword designs.

Internet Nomad

My bad I completely derailed and turned this into a sword thread.

Khaemwaset

Here others with the hilt resembling the native hilt.
View attachment 334599
View attachment 334600
Looks like something that might have defused into Somali culture a long time ago on second thoughts but these swords are all 100% made in Somalia I wouldn't see the need to attribute them to Iran for example. As if the Arabs would give Iranians credit for all the things they gained from them.

Internet Nomad

Looks like something that might have defused into Somali culture a long time ago on second thoughts but these swords are all 100% made in Somalia I wouldn't see the need to attribute them to Iran for example. As if the Arabs would give Iranians credit for all the things they gained from them.
Yeah what I was trying to get at was the concept design of the scimitar was foreign but weapon has been with us for so long and we adapted the weapon for own sake.
1721098867631.jpeg

Trending

Latest posts