The Unspoken Obession with Horn of African features

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
:ftw9nwa: The moment they use their beauty representations is when they have officially emancipated themselves from the shackles of colonialism. They have their local beauties. Speaking of West Africans, how come they focus on Iman, the model, rather than the Senegalese Sadiya Gueye?
View attachment 316864

Kisame

Plotting world domination
VIP
Damn, he went at him. I think any actor automatically is viewed as good-looking. It could be a marketing thing mixed with social contagion. I would not say that the Majors guy is ugly though. Maybe I am biased because I think the guys acting was good before they dropped him.
Going on a marketing blitz to shop him around like he's the next Denzel was a bit much. I won't fault the guy for his appearance, as I find that cruel and out-of-touch, but I think he's unconventional compared to what is normally pushed by the Hollywood machine. His acting chops are decent, though.

Johnathan ugly. Madows on twitter were legit saying he has the perfect look for slave movies.

My features confused a lot of foreign people at uni , if they didnt know about somalis . They had the wildest guesses as to where i am from. Nice to see my samaroon people still here tho :)

Walliah some somalis are freaking embarrassing. I saw a comment Talking about "we iz mixed."
I got 2nd,4th,5th hand embarrassment smh.

Northern EU bros deny that they have anything to do with the dark skinned Cheddar Man's people even though dna shows otherwise.
Saw Many Kuwaitis crying on Twitter/CH when they found about their haplogroup being east African.
Meanwhile, self-hating Somalis talking about some ancient admixture that happened so so long time ago. Like If you go back long enough, all humans are related/mixed.
Sht is pain's planetary devastation level cringe and shows at a big problem.

On the other hand, Videos like this will only attract future haters/creeps. Majority of people are average to below. When people talk about any group, they're talking about the cute/attractive ones.
This will only put unnecessary spotlight.

Last edited:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Walliah some somalis are freaking embarrassing. I saw a comment Talking about "we iz mixed."
I got 2nd,4th,5th hand embarrassment smh.

Northern EU bros deny that they have anything to do with the dark skinned Cheddar Man's people even though dna shows otherwise.
Saw Many Kuwaitis crying on Twitter/CH when they found about their haplogroup being east African.
Meanwhile, self-hating Somalis talking about some ancient admixture that happened so so long time ago. Like If you go back long enough, all humans are related/mixed.
Sht is pain's planetary devastation level cringe and shows at a big problem.

On the other hand, Videos like this will only attract future haters/creeps. Majority of people are average to below. When people talk about any group, they're talking about the cute/attractive ones.
This will only put unnecessary spotlight.
  • Most comments asserted Somalis were not mixed. But were monoethnic. You are not treated according to that but what people think you are. And there is no universal Black or Somali experience for that matter. Phenotype plays a role in your treatment. As does physical attractiveness.
  • What they said was their experiences with ajnabis were variable and that it wasn't uncommon to have their origins questioned.
  • This isn't just Somalis but extends to Semitic and Cushitic-speaking people from the Horn of Africa.
  • It isn't uncommon for some to praise their beauty and question their legitimacy, depending on the day.
  • I don't think anyone cares about the spotlight. A non-HOA, not us, posted the clip.

My features confused a lot of foreign people at uni , if they didnt know about somalis . They had the wildest guesses as to where i am from. Nice to see my samaroon people still here tho :)
Since when did you come back?

It amazes me that in 2024 we are still seeing content like this. Makes sense why she doesn’t show her face lol. Content like this is so embarrassing. I believe videos like this create more haters than fans. Way too many envious people out here.

Complaining about people preferring certain features shouldn’t be a thing in 2024. I’m sure the ones who complain the most about featurism also do it to others in their own group as well. I feel bad for these kind of people truly. Slavery and even colonialism has done a number on them.

reer

VIP
Most comments asserted Somalis were not mixed. But were monoethnic. You are not treated according to that but what people think you are.
tbh i dont blame people for thinking that since our looks are unique and dont fit the typical stereotypical faces. an arab dude told me somalis look like halfway between african and arab.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
tbh i dont blame people for thinking that since our looks are unique and dont fit the typical stereotypical faces. an arab dude told me somalis look like halfway between african and arab.
I don't see it. :ftw9nwa: Neither group have our features is what I'd say. And you can't get an intermediate that looks like that.

It amazes me that in 2024 we are still seeing content like this. Makes sense why she doesn’t show her face lol. Content like this is so embarrassing. I believe videos like this create more haters than fans. Way too many envious people out here.

Complaining about people preferring certain features shouldn’t be a thing in 2024. I’m sure the ones who complain the most about featurism also do it to others in their own group as well. I feel bad for these kind of people truly. Slavery and even colonialism has done a number on them.
I see nothing wrong with people discussing their experiences. Not everyone is given the same treatment. America is a very race-focused nation. And there are plethora of channels discussing the challenges of women who are dark skinned and unambiguously Black reflecting on their challenges or differential treatment they receive and the celebrating of their appearance in a safe and comforting space. However, there are few spaces for those who are Black but do not look like that so to speak. If they praise themselves they are met with charges of benefiting from some sort of featurism, texturism or colourism. And are not afforded the same amount of appreciation as society already promotes that image.The body or beauty appreciation is not reserved for all it seems. I may not agree with her talking points and there were some inaccuracies but I think people are free to discuss their lived experiences with people that can relate. Often people rarely discuss the idealization and devaluation extremes experienced by the other side.

This is a rinsed and lame topic. Looking "exotic" or whatever hasn't given any somali notable priviledge. We stick out as prominent dark muslim people. Some of you need to stop jacking off to being somehow superior to other africans. Even if you are better looking according to some criteria beauty is not skin deep and only distracts you from god and important matters.

If you jump on the wave of self fetishising yourself you're only supporting a racial hiearchy were YOU'RE NOT ON TOP. How brain dead:trash::farmajoyaab:

I see nothing wrong with people discussing their experiences. Not everyone is given the same treatment. America is a very race-focused nation. And there are plethora of channels discussing the challenges of women who are dark skinned and unambiguously Black reflecting on their challenges or differential treatment they receive and the celebrating of their appearance in a safe and comforting space. However, there are few spaces for those who are Black but do not look like that so to speak. If they praise themselves they are met with charges of benefiting from some sort of featurism, texturism or colourism. And are not afforded the same amount of appreciation as society already promotes that image.The body or beauty appreciation is not reserved for all it seems. I may not agree with her talking points and there were some inaccuracies but I think people are free to discuss their lived experiences with people that can relate. Often people rarely discuss the idealization and devaluation extremes experienced by the other side.
I understand your sentiments. And agree with the bolded. Let’s be real, the body and beauty appreciation community only uplifts those they feel pity for or they don’t feel competition with..it’s not meant for us.

These ladies have every right to discuss their lived experiences. If it helps them feel seen or understood by those like them, more power to them.

I’m sure there are people all over the world who appreciate the natural beauty of the dark skinned and unambiguous black women though. Why don’t they discuss going where they are celebrated and how to not dissect all the reasons why they aren’t the beauty standard. It’s like they’re stuck in a mental loop that keeps them stuck in a victim mentality. They are acting as if having our features will suddenly open every door for you. As if we profit in life simply for looking a certain way. They need to start appreciating their own without mentioning us.

I honestly worry that some mentally deranged person who views this sort of content will develop a deep seated hatred of us that’s rooted in envy.

This is a rinsed and lame topic. Looking "exotic" or whatever hasn't given any somali notable priviledge. We stick out as prominent dark muslim people. Some of you need to stop jacking off to being somehow superior to other africans. Even if you are better looking according to some criteria beauty is not skin deep and only distracts you from god and important matters.

If you jump on the wave of self fetishising yourself you're only supporting a racial hiearchy were YOU'RE NOT ON TOP. How brain dead:trash::farmajoyaab:
You’re right. This kinda stuff shouldn’t give us a huge ego. It’s weird to take this attention as a compliment. We are Muslims. We shouldn’t be vain or let this distract us from our purpose in life. Alhamdulilah for the blessings we have been given.

• Most comments asserted Somalis were not mixed. But were monoethnic. You are not treated according to that but what people think you are. And there is no universal Black or Somali experience for that matter. Phenotype plays a role in your treatment. As does physical attractiveness.
  • What they said was their experiences with ajnabis were variable and that it wasn't uncommon to have their origins questioned.
  • This isn't just Somalis but extends to Semitic and Cushitic-speaking people from the Horn of Africa.
  • It isn't uncommon for some to praise their beauty and question their legitimacy, depending on the day.
  • I don't think anyone cares about the spotlight. A non-HOA, not us, posted the clip.

Since when did you come back?
like 2 days ago lol

Most comments asserted Somalis were not mixed. But were monoethnic. You are not treated according to that but what people think you are. And there is no universal Black or Somali experience for that matter. Phenotype plays a role in your treatment. As does physical attractiveness.
We’re not monoethnic. 15%(potentially even more) of Somalia’s population are only Somalis because the Italians said so. It’s very obvious in the south. but that doesn’t matters.
I travel often. Back home/black Africa? There is only Somali experience.
But when u leave black Africa u will definitely experience a black experience. Phenotype is like height. But black is black regardless.

And There is a Pre established hierarchy within the black world.
Be lowkey and don’t try to disturb the hierarchy or else be ready for the nasty comments and being viewed as a competition.
Anti blackness from none blacks. And antiCushness within the black community won’t be pretty.

100%. For every one fan u will get 10 dedicated haters/creeps. Somalis need to stay clear from those spaces. Like how hard is it to lurk and not comment ??

Last edited:

As if 2024 should mark some sort of milestone in progress. The opposite might be true. We might be regressing as a species.