1500s - The Somali century

Emir of Zayla

๐•น๐–†๐–™๐–Ž๐–”๐–“ ๐–”๐–‹ ๐•ป๐–”๐–Š๐–™๐–˜
10th to 16th centuries was really the Somali Golden Age. It saw the highest proliferation of new stone cities in sub-Saharan Africa, that were known by every civilisation across the world, the local polities also packed a major punch militarily and had an impactful cultural and political influence from Sudan to Tanzania.

The most famous historical figures, scholars, travellers, both local and foreign (like Ibn Battuta), also date from that specific Golden Age.

This is when Islam firmly rooted itself in Somalia, and the conquest of Abyssinia was destined to be the icing on the cake where we would have become the 4th Gunpowder Empire, but alas it wasnโ€™t meant to be and we took the path of the Hanseatic League instead.

Therefore not a Somali Century, but a multi-centuries long Somali Golden Age, diminished eventually by the Portuguese.
What do you mean by this?

Last edited:
Funniest thread I've read today.
Megan's Interesting | Know Your Meme

10th to 16th centuries was really the Somali Golden Age. It saw the highest proliferation of new stone cities in sub-Saharan Africa, that were known by every civilisation across the world, the local polities also packed a major punch militarily and had an impactful cultural and political influence from Sudan to Tanzania.

The most famous historical figures, scholars, travellers, both local and foreign (like Ibn Battuta), also date from that specific Golden Age.

This is when Islam firmly rooted itself in Somalia, and the conquest of Abyssinia was destined to be the icing on the cake where we would have become the 4th Gunpowder Empire, but alas it wasnโ€™t meant to be and we took the path of the Hanseatic League instead.

Therefore not a Somali Century, but a multi-centuries long Somali Golden Age, diminished eventually by the Portuguese.

There was economic growth and increase i trade like i said. Urbanism is a byproduct of that just like what happened in any other place in Africa, or Asia or Europe. There is nothing special to this or unique in what happened in Somalia.

Whether you want to believe it's a Golden age or what not is entirely subjective, because there was economic growth - increase in trade - proliferation of scholars - travelers/sailors to different locations during the late 1700s- 1900s. Foreign visitors like Ibn Battuta from elsewhere came to our shores as well during this period.

Might have been similar in periods prior to the 1100s as well. There was a decline between late 1500s and late 1700s it was due to trade deficit and war/political turmoil.

Having trade contact with different locations on the Red sea- Indian ocean does not mean we had impactful political or culture influence in those locations. Sometimes it did.

There is no need to create exaggerated , glorified spins and framing of Somali history, to explain away what naturally developed inside our own territories and whats been a simple feature throughout.
There was no Somali century. There was a period of intense economic growth brought by expansion of trade and development of Muslim polities between 1000s - 1600s.

It afforded them the increased ability to venture out to different places and participate in the global trade and economy. However Somalis locus political control was mostly only extended to inside their own inhabited territories.

It was not really that much different from the trade that resumed and expanded and the maritime/industry activities between the late 1700s- 1900s and the development of new polities and towns/trade centers during that period - with the difference being introduction to capitalistic alterations in terms of production.

k3RlIOY8lSQswPjTmqIdvWzDKephpV-_hw5ToYpIurs.jpg

Last edited:

Emir of Zayla

๐•น๐–†๐–™๐–Ž๐–”๐–“ ๐–”๐–‹ ๐•ป๐–”๐–Š๐–™๐–˜
There is no need to create exaggerated , glorified spins and framing of Somali history, to explain away what naturally developed inside our own territories and whats been a simple feature throughout.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Everyone does not or should not do that . And it's bad and misleading and does more to harm the people than to do them any good.

Take for example the thread i posted a few hours ago When being a state sponsored shill goes south (Unintended Comedy) of how the Chinese State CCP tries so hard to cover their economic inequities and problems by pushing propaganda that exaggerates and glorify the country and it has led to a record number of Chinese Emigrating: Whatโ€™s Driving Chinaโ€™s New Emigration Wave.

These economic and social problems don't go away because they spam the internet about high speed rails, the *ghost* cities they are building and what not.

So it's better to try to understand and approach the historical, social, economic conditions and development of a country in an honest and balanced way , so you can gain knowledge to use to improve it and make future prevention's.

Last edited:
Everyone does not or should not do that . And it's bad and misleading and does more to harm the people than to do them any good.

Take for example the thread i posted a few hours ago When being a state sponsored shill goes south (Unintended Comedy) of how the Chinese State CCP tries so hard to cover their economic inequities and problems by pushing propaganda that exaggerates and glorify the country and it has led to a record number of Chinese Emigrating: Whatโ€™s Driving Chinaโ€™s New Emigration Wave

So it's better to try to understand and approach the historical, social, economic conditions and development of a country in an honest and balanced way , so you can gain knowledge to use to improve it and make future prevention's.

You need to have both. ALL nations on Earth exaggerate, hide even straight up fabricate things to suit their narrative and the current status quo.

Academics can do that impartial study but we need good PR too even if some things are embellished.

Narrative is absolutely vital it is arguably more important than the actual details sometimes for people. People will make stories about themselves whether we like it or not it is the human condition.

You need to have both. ALL nations on Earth exaggerate, hide even straight up fabricate things to suit their narrative and the current status quo.

Academics can do that impartial study but we need good PR too even if some things are embellished.

Narrative is absolutely vital it is arguably more important than the actual details sometimes for people. People will make stories about themselves whether we like it or not it is the human condition.
All people do not fabricate or exaggerate things, otherwise all the world nations would just collapse and that's what the quotes speaks to. The decay of the mind. Changing a narrative is only vital when it's about correcting false beliefs , misinformation and outdated paradigms that don't work.

Exaggerations and fabrications has no benefit to people. That China example proves it.

All people do not fabricate or exaggerate things, otherwise all the world nations would just collapse and that's what the quotes speaks to. The decay of the mind. Changing a narrative is only vital when it's about correcting false beliefs , misinformation and outdated paradigms that don't work.

Exaggerations and fabrications has no benefit to people. That China example proves it.
Bro most of the 'history' we have is made up. It's actually amazing how much of it is. We can go on for all day about how narratives are created, stories are twisted, things are mislabelled. Two very simple ones everyone knows:

1. The whole Napoleon was a short ciilqabe was a British lie he was average height for the time and one of the most gifted leaders to ever come out of Europe.

2. Ask yourself why the Eastern Roman Empire is called 'Byzantine' when they never called themselves that and why no one knows that effectively the Roman empire (Eastern) became Muslim and the Ottomans called themselves Caesar of Rome... Who benefits from hiding the way I just presented it

Look up 'out of time' artefacts and see how resistant to truth a lot of these academics are because their precious theories would be thrown out.

All nations with an education system teach their kids a very embellished, self praising version of their history to promote nationalism and sense of belonging.

Nothing wrong if we do the same I am looking it at from a pragmatic lens. I am not saying lie but there is no avoiding narrative-

Bro like much of the 'history' we have is made up. It's actually amazing how much of it is. We can go on for all day about how narratives are created, stories are twisted, things are mislabelled. Two very simple ones everyone knows:

1. The whole Napoleon was a short ciilqabe was a British lie he was average height for the time and one of the most gifted leaders to ever come out of Europe.

2. Ask yourself why the Eastern Roman Empire is called 'Byzantine' when they never called themselves that and why no one knows that effectively the Roman empire (Eastern) became Muslim and the Ottomans called themselves Caesar of Rome... Who benefits from hiding the way I just presented it

All nations with an education system teach their kids a very embellished, self praising version of their history to promote nationalism and sense of belonging.

Nothing wrong if we do the same I am looking it at from a pragmatic lens.

Much of modern history is not made up. We can determine what happened with relative accuracy thanks to a process Historians call the Historical method and we can gain reliable picture of all the periods you mentioned.

I would encourage you and everyone else on this thread to become more acquainted with it. Perhaps you will learn how not to fabricate and exaggerate

Much of modern history is not made up. We can determine what happened with relative accuracy thanks to a process Historians call the Historical method and we can gain reliable picture of all the periods you mentioned.

I would encourage you and everyone else on this thread to become more acquainted with it. Perhaps you will learn how not to fabricate and exaggerate
Historical method doesn't save you from dishonesty or people omitting stuff I wasn't focusing on modern history which is harder to distort but the point still stands.

We are in 2024 and Japanese deny the Rape of Nanjing

Historical method doesn't save you from dishonesty or people omitting stuff I wasn't focusing on modern history which is harder to distort but the point still stands.

We are in 2024 and Japanese deny the Rape of Nanjing

Continually pointing to people doing something wrong does not excuse said behavior. I hope you realize that.

Khaemwaset

Frรผher of the Djibouti Ugaasate ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฏ
VIP
Continually pointing to people doing something wrong does not excuse said behavior. I hope you realize that.
It's not "wrong" or Immoral go gas up your own history. Literally everyone I've come across for all nations do it. Especially our neighbours in Ethiopia.

Why do you have to be so humble?

Cartan Boos

Average SSC Patriot
VIP
When people claim that cushitic nationalists are more sane then us ana arabs i'll have this thread in mind
What's inaccurate about this tho, except for Madagascar as we didn't controlled all just the coastline but what does it matter

Aseer

A man without a ๐Ÿซ won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
Actually it's pretty accurate
Yeah it's just Madagascar, the swahilli coast when we likely controlled till lamu, sofala being too big AND he forgot to add some of the Maldives islands. Overall it's good I am unsure about the south sudan and port sudan thing for adal ik the Imam killed some Nubian for refusing to submit but idk about Port of sudan.

Trending