Somali natives in Tuuli Guuled defeat Oromo regional police invaders

Spot on. Regardless of the identities of Jarso, that's the core conflict here. Also, I'dont understand how a regional state, can even be allowed to operate on another region state and use their resources... They way the oromo admin is handling this, proves where the tensions is coming from. (Also, this is a dam and not a well, as I incorrectly wrote above.)

This is turn, results in the displacement of us from our land and other ramifications. As well as exploitation of our resources, with no set terms on how Oromia uses the water. And with no agreement in place (as indicated and promised to us), they bear all consequences, for everything that comes out of this mess...

One thing commonly mentioned, is the narrative of blaming the clashes on us (Geri). It is not coincidence that most fightings (when it happens) takes place almost exclusively in Tuli Guleed (where Gari are majority and Jarso minority) and not i Jinacsani (where Jarso are majority and Geri minority) - our native areas. Just a food for thought... A hint may be that Geri has somewhat accepted the status of Jinacsani (with few exceptions), while others (including external actors) are trying to make Tuli Guleed a "disputed territory" for reasons we all know. Given its resources, I am not surprised.
Thank you for writing this great summary of the situation in tuli guled and jinacsani. I always knew of the xabashi expansionism using oromo. Most of them believe saylac should be in Ethiopia’s hands and it will if we don’t take a bold stand. Why tf is oromo admin getting close to jigjiga? They’re already talking about changing dire dawa from special admin to oromo state. Cagjar or any president in jigjiga will be weak until we have strong men who don’t fear for their puppet seat.

Walaal is marar village where the raid of the liyus from oromiya occurred, are the somalis already removed from the village and isn't there any border guards from dds to protect the somali on the frontline.
Making an assessment of the situation on the ground is difficult, as everything is diffuse and changes (hands) regularly. Up until 2018, there were Liyuu police on the Somali and Oromo side, with clashes between them (even though DDS controlled some parts of these newly incorporated territory, back then). There were also a short stint of federal forces deployed there, when it was at its worst 2017/2018. Since then, with the removal of Abdi Illey, reconfiguration of lands - most forces has been removed.

As far as DDS admin goes, Cagjar is adamant that this is a Somali clan affairs and has stayed away, from doing anything - not even trying to solve anything. Even, not speaking on the matter, AT ALL. Funnily, these towns are less than 20km from Jigjiga, it’s not uncommon to hear fighting sounds, from the city suburbs.

In response to the lack of help, there were unofficial militias "established" on both sides, with the other side having more advanced equipment. Which DDS admin is well aware of, much of it due to their lack of engagement (not necessary military help). They’ve even tried to disarm us (while oromia didn’t do to jarso). We flat out refused. From them having the upper hand, to now taking out defense equipment?!?!

As a result, whenever fighting happens, no side can’t completely take over the other side. Therefore heavy clashes of many casualties takes place, as we defend ourselves.

However, almost always, people do get displaced. And unfortunately, they do move their positions (area of control) forward. Today these militias controls some parts of eastern Tuli Guleed Woreda (even before these recent fightings), but I personally don’t know where that border goes today.

Also regarding the borders, most of the boarding area are literary farmlands, so it’s practically impossible to establish border controls. Much less, has there been any demarcation done. So it gets complicated.

But yes, Marar is the current focal point now, as that’s where it started. It’s 1 km from Jinacsani too, also explains their claims...

As far as Liyuu police goes, I personally don’t have much info to give a clear answer. Previously much involved. Today mostly supplying militias (indirectly). However, here and there do they blend themselves into the conflict. I have heard of them now being involved, and normally our relatives send footages proving this. I haven’t seen yet this time, besides online, so I’ll refrain from making that statement until more evidence. But elements of them are very much involved nonetheless, and also heard from fellow residents there (through relatives).

Due to the construction site they have a large presence there in Marar. Right now, it also makes sense due to their “excuse” of protecting the construction site, as Oromo admin (workers, officials) together with "security" forces are there to “maintain” peace -according to them. However, the development of the dam, has temporary halted with the fighting though.

Fyi, when Liyuu police are involved. They do not usually attack first, but rather Oromo and/or jarso militias. To which they then get involved, and use security/safety related claims/excuse for their presence.

And before anyone accuses me of any biases. There has been clashes, both provoked and initiated from both sides - not uncommon from what happens between other somalis. However for the past years, we've not had any interest in doing so, as we would have little to no help from the outside, anyways.

We should raise awareness to whats going on in Tuli Guleed in Harti lands, I can't in good conscience accept Oromos in my land when the Geri mujahideen are fighting to keep theirs

You're so right. I'm assuming you're Harti - your people has done the most for us, more than any other Somalis. When it was at its worst, Warsangeli in Sanaag, gave us land there, if we wanted to relocate there. Which we will forever and eternally be grateful for, from our fellow kin. Hopefully, there will be some way for us to reciprocate the favour, some time in the future. Also not to disregard, the support from other clans as well.

However, besides few families from the areas handed over to Oromia, few of us has moved. Mainly because:

1. We live in the most fertile land of all SomaliWeyn, and overall a resource rich area.
2. Strategic location - right next to the capital and biggest city of DDS, with recent development of the city, it has become more significant.
3. Most importantly, us leaving will result in Jarso asking Oromia to annex these lands to, and also bring Oromia one step closer to somali land, which unfortunately won't stop there too.

We just didn't want to leave the land of our forefathers of hundreds of years, simple as that, despite what anyone wishes for, voluntarily or non-voluntarily!

Nevertheless, we have received immense support from somalis of all clans - well at least up until recently. It's been tragic to go trough social media right now, as this time there seems to be a coordinated effort, mainly from somalis of SL and Somalia together with Jaarso, of them just coming from us, literaly 80+% of everything you may see if you search up Geri/Jarso and Tuli Guleed is false accusations. Many of them also claiming Tuli Guleed to be a Jarso gobol. However, we will always stand firm of the ground, regardless of who supporting us.

I also want to point out that I don't wish any bad or harm to Jarso. I was a little heated when I wrote my previous post, if anyone misinterpreted it. Regardless of our historical, political, and ethnical differences, we will continue living here together. So it's in the best interest of us, to reconcile and not create an environment, in which there's a point of no return. We also view Jarso different from other Oromos, even if they claim to be Oromos - and nothing wrong with any other Oromos either. However, as they chose Oromia, we have no chose but to always be cautious and suspicious of them, from now onwards, from them entrenching and making claim on further somali territory.

A case in point, of our worst nightmares are Harari, arguably the single ethnic group to have suffered the most from Ethiopianism. Especially after '77, when the fought with us. They were literary made to go extinct through displacement, however they always controlled most of their land in the Harar region. When the ethnic federalism was created, Oromos got the overwhelming power there, due to their significant presence. Today, most land (in particular farmlands) are out of the control of Harari, and further (illegal) settlement of Oromos, (by their gov't) to change the demographics. It has especially gone worse recently, and well documented online as well.

This is what we fear is awaiting us. As long as Jarsos bring Oromia with them, there will always be problems, just so everyone is aware.

Fyi, I've seen your posts on other threads about Geri/Jarso and Tuli Guleed/Jinacsani, and unlike others you seem to have much (and accurate) knowledge of the situation, where we inhabit etc. Do you have any ties to the region, or do you just know a lot? Or maybe I just dumb for not knowing enough about small sub-clans and their respective historical/geographical info kkkkk

*I meant western Tuli Guleed Woreda, rather than eastern, in the previous post. Excuse me for all my typos...

Last edited:

Laagite

الداروودي
You're so right. I'm assuming you're Harti - your people has done the most for us, more than any other Somalis. When it was at its worst, Warsangeli in Sanaag, gave us land there, if we wanted to relocate there. Which we will forever and eternally be grateful for, from our fellow kin. Hopefully, there will be some way for us to reciprocate the favour, some time in the future. Also not to disregard, the support from other clans as well.

However, besides few families from the areas handed over to Oromia, few of us has moved. Mainly because:

1. We live in the most fertile land of all SomaliWeyn, and overall a resource rich area.
2. Strategic location - right next to the capital and biggest city of DDS, with recent development of the city, it has become more significant.
3. Most importantly, us leaving will result in Jarso asking Oromia to annex these lands to, and also bring Oromia one step closer to somali land, which unfortunately won't stop there too.

We just didn't want to leave the land of our forefathers of hundreds of years, simple as that, despite what anyone wishes for, voluntarily or non-voluntarily!

Nevertheless, we have received immense support from somalis of all clans - well at least up until recently. It's been tragic to go trough social media right now, as this time there seems to be a coordinated effort, mainly from somalis of SL and Somalia together with Jaarso, of them just coming from us, literaly 80+% of everything you may see if you search up Geri/Jarso and Tuli Guleed is false accusations. Many of them also claiming Tuli Guleed to be a Jarso gobol. However, we will always stand firm of the ground, regardless of who supporting us.

I also want to point out that I don't wish any bad or harm to Jarso. I was a little heated when I wrote my previous post, if anyone misinterpreted it. Regardless of our historical, political, and ethnical differences, we will continue living here together. So it's in the best interest of us, to reconcile and not create an environment, in which there's a point of no return. We also view Jarso different from other Oromos, even if they claim to be Oromos - and nothing wrong with any other Oromos either. However, as they chose Oromia, we have no chose but to always be cautious and suspicious of them, from now onwards, from them entrenching and making claim on further somali territory.

A case in point, of our worst nightmares are Harari, arguably the single ethnic group to have suffered the most from Ethiopianism. Especially after '77, when the fought with us. They were literary made to go extinct through displacement, however they always controlled most of their land in the Harar region. When the ethnic federalism was created, Oromos got the overwhelming power there, due to their significant presence. Today, most land (in particular farmlands) are out of the control of Harari, and further (illegal) settlement of Oromos, (by their gov't) to change the demographics. It has especially gone worse recently, and well documented online as well.

This is what we fear is awaiting us. As long as Jarsos bring Oromia with them, there will always be problems, just so everyone is aware.

Fyi, I've seen your posts on other threads about Geri/Jarso and Tuli Guleed/Jinacsani, and unlike others you seem to have much (and accurate) knowledge of the situation, where we inhabit etc. Do you have any ties to the region, or do you just know a lot? Or maybe I just dumb for not knowing enough about small sub-clans and their respective historical/geographical info kkkkk

*I meant western Tuli Guleed Woreda, rather than eastern, in the previous post. Excuse me for all my typos...
My great grandmother from the hooyo side is Jidwaaq, so I'm sensitive to Oromo expansionism in general.

walaal we should not generalise oromos
I do agree with you in the sense that we should not view Oromo as a whole as evil or horrible people, since the average Oromo are no different from Somalis, in being miskeen and just wanting to make ends meet.

However, you also need to be able to connect dots together, when certain events raises your eyebrow. The thing about Oromos, is that they are no different from Somalis, in which ethnicity are passed down patrilineally. Unlike other people, they not only integrate, but assimilates well and quickly into local communities - resulting in people disregarding them when concerns are raised. But from the wider perspective, huge Oromo migration means forming settlements, which in turn means establishing Oromo lands on forreign places. That's how they've been able to expand so much in recent times. And currently there are no end in sight, with (outspoken) ambitions of their leaders.

It would be hypocritical to say, that no other people has moved/immigrated. However, I do believe it's a difference when it has happen long time ago and on uninhabited land vs i todays time. What exacerbates this is the current land grabs happening on all front from north of DDS to southern DDS. While we've mostly accepted current borders and even if we do settle in other areas, we mostly do not claim them.

Today they believe Addis Abeba (Finfinne as they call it) is Oromo due to historical claims, even though Amharas are majority now. Which is not inaccurate. Look also them claiming Dire Dawa and Harar, from Somalis respective Hararis due to their recent migration and subsequent settlement there. They even get mad, if you mention this.

So, while not viewing Oromos as a threat or enemy, you can not ignore all these sign and act as if nothing is happening. Again, most oromo civilians don't really care or don't wish conflict, but there's an agenda driven behind them. Once all settled, their leaders comes and now it's time for annexations.

Beside the border towns, the Oromo MP/representative in the federal parlament requested to arrange a referendum to the future status of the city/region of Dire Dawa. Overall, this doesn't sound bad, but the equivalent would be asking Addis today is they want to be part of Oromia, knowing that due to Amhara settlement, they would reject despite Oromo historical land. The same is for Dire Dawa.

Matter fact, it has always had a large Somali population living there, until around '77. Many were displaced from the war, including my mothers family. After the war, since we lost and the war was caused by somalis, we were all at fault and the subsequent time was horrible, so many didn't return. Most of my family went back after the fall of the regime in the 90s. The thing about displacement in Ethiopia, at least those in the area my family are from, if you leave and don't have any families/relatives back there protectin, your properties will be appropriated by state or taken over by other residents. As a result many Somalis never returned, in many parts due to this and our treatment. Though, this was mostly the case for the city, the countryside (Dire Dawa region) - the overwhelming majority of land still belongs to Somali. Also during these time people many Oromo and Amhara were settled here, voluntarily and intentionally (state sponsored demographic changes) due to their threat of "Somali seperatism"

But as the ethnic federalism was being established, Oromos made claims on it, so the gov't decided to turn into a federal city until both Oromia-DDS comes into an agreement. So, the current request of the referendum, is trying bypass earlier promises through the slim majority 50ish% Oromos in Dire Dawa, most of whom living in the city, to incorporate into Oromia.

This is also different from other referendums - which the constitution allows as part of right of self-determinations of the nations/nationalities of Ethiopia - but they are trying to be slick. Since Abiy there has been a number of these. But the referendum has ALWAYS been: do you want the current status or create a new Killil (region). So in the Dire Dawa referendum, they added Oromia too and Somali (for aesthetically purposes despite the recent demographic change), knowing what the plans are.

All in all, we are left for ourselves, as none of influence seem to voicing anything on this or other matters related to our future. Also, once these area are lost to another region, we will never be able to get them back...

Last edited:

CALMONE20###

Roots in Somaliland + Somali Region ✝️
I do agree with you in the sense that we should not view Oromo as a whole as evil or horrible people, since the average Oromo are no different from Somalis, in being miskeen and just wanting to make ends meet.

However, you also need to be able to connect dots together, when certain events raises your eyebrow. The thing about Oromos, is that they are no different from Somalis, in which ethnicity are passed down patrilineally. Unlike other people, they not only integrate, but assimilates well and quickly into local communities - resulting in people disregarding them when concerns are raised. But from the wider perspective, huge Oromo migration means forming settlements, which in turn means establishing Oromo lands on forreign places. That's how they've been able to expand so much in recent times. And currently there are no end in sight, with (outspoken) ambitions of their leaders.

It would be hypocritical to say, that no other people has moved/immigrated. However, I do believe it's a difference when it has happen long time ago and on uninhabited land vs i todays time. What exacerbates this is the current land grabs happening on all front from north of DDS to southern DDS. While we've mostly accepted current borders and even if we do settle in other areas, we mostly do not claim them.

Today they believe Addis Abeba (Finfinne as they call it) is Oromo due to historical claims, even though Amharas are majority now. Which is not inaccurate. Look also them claiming Dire Dawa and Harar, from Somalis respective Hararis due to their recent migration and subsequent settlement there. They even get mad, if you mention this.

So, while not viewing Oromos as a threat or enemy, you can not ignore all these sign and act as if nothing is happening. Again, most oromo civilians don't really care or don't wish conflict, but there's an agenda driven behind them. Once all settled, their leaders comes and now it's time for annexations.

Beside the border towns, the Oromo MP/representative in the federal parlament requested to arrange a referendum to the future status of the city/region of Dire Dawa. Overall, this doesn't sound bad, but the equivalent would be asking Addis today is they want to be part of Oromia, knowing that due to Amhara settlement, they would reject despite Oromo historical land. The same is for Dire Dawa.

Matter fact, it has always had a large Somali population living there, until around '77. Many were displaced from the war, including my mothers family. After the war, since we lost and the war was caused by somalis, we were all at fault and the subsequent time was horrible, so many didn't return. Most of my family went back after the fall of the regime in the 90s. The thing about displacement in Ethiopia, at least those in the area my family are from, if you leave and don't have any families/relatives back there protectin, your properties will be appropriated by state or taken over by other residents. As a result many Somalis never returned, in many parts due to this and our treatment. Though, this was mostly the case for the city, the countryside (Dire Dawa region) - the overwhelming majority of land still belongs to Somali. Also during these time people many Oromo and Amhara were settled here, voluntarily and intentionally (state sponsored demographic changes) due to their threat of "Somali seperatism"

But as the ethnic federalism was being established, Oromos made claims on it, so the gov't decided to turn into a federal city until both Oromia-DDS comes into an agreement. So, the current request of the referendum, is trying bypass earlier promises through the slim majority 50ish% Oromos in Dire Dawa, most of whom living in the city, to incorporate into Oromia.

This is also different from other referendums - which the constitution allows as part of right of self-determinations of the nations/nationalities of Ethiopia - but they are trying to be slick. Since Abiy there has been a number of these. But the referendum has ALWAYS been: do you want the current status or create a new Killil (region). So in the Dire Dawa referendum, they added Oromia too and Somali (for aesthetically purposes despite the recent demographic change), knowing what the plans are.

All in all, we are left for ourselves, as none of influence seem to voicing anything on this or other matters related to our future. Also, once these area are lost to another region, we will never be able to get them back...
I just wish us and oromos got along

@GaradShabeel

Let's do social media awareness campaign, we start on SomaliSpot and then go to other sites. We need to get facts, figures and evidence that these Jaarso flipfloppers are Oromo interlopers and expansionists. I also pray that Geri Koombe stops intermarrying with them, absolutely ha la iska ceeriyo totally.
Mahadsanid, walaal adiga iyo kuwa kale uu ina garab jooga iyo na difaaciya, much appreciated and grateful. The problem is that our communities live far from each other, even certain parts of DDS not far away, and thereby don't get the full picture of whats happening, sometimes. As we are left alone.

As far as the intermarriages, most of them stopped by 2004 when they choose to separate themselves from us, but as there we no fightings then, it still continued, but few and far in between. However, as the conflict intensified 10ish years and they insisted on being Oromo solely. This has stopped happening, and the communities are very segregated now, and very soon, as they are becoming more "oromomized" by choice, we will view them no different from other Oromos. Though, it's sad to see this development, from them claiming mostly Somali and rarely Oromo, to now going the other direction, is a slap to the face after hundreds of years living with each other. Especially, since they are no different from any other Somalis, in the sense that the speak somali as a native language (we all speak oromo to since its close to Oromia, but never in our areas and between us Geri and Jarso), they are culturally somalis, most of them have either muslim or somali names etc, so them separating from us is a great tragedy.

As far as them claiming oromo, it so funny to see other somalis trying to prove otherwise. Again, they made that request personally to us Geris living there, to stop calling them somalis from now onwards, especially those in Jinacsani. Since they are a minority in Tuli Guleed, they've largely avoided this topic, though their clan leaders are very clear on this matter, regardless of where they live. Honestly, what do we gain from people we've lived with for ages and considered us all somalis, to then all of a sudden brand them as foreigners.... People that haven't seen this, will see it in due time, as this has been the case for us, so I'm just going to be patient. Ironically, I just want someone to go to Jinacsani and call them Somali and just film it to see their reactions, maybe they will realize then... (Or even those in the diaspora, I'm not from the US but I heard that there are plenty in MN).

Until then there are so much footage online, to assemble together. FYI, most somalis that argue their somaliness, will use either older footage (when they claimed somali) or content they create when its conflict as they appeal to their fellow "kin" Dirs. Other than this, most other footages will prove to the contrary.

Here's the Ugaaska guud ee beelweynta Jaarso (Ugaas Abdirahman Ugaas Muhumed) from 2018. The quality is bad, but listen to him (speaking in somali) from 1.15 "inaaga ... waxaan ka soo jeedna asal ahaan Oromo. Laakin dhaqan ahaan waxan la dhaqan nahay Somali. Waan kala gursana, waan is dhalnay, daad soo wada nool baan nahay. Dad iswada garanyo baan nahay. Walal nahay. Isku dhaqan nahay. Isku diin nahay". Basically Oromo ethnic/clan, but Somali culturally. This alone should be enough to put all the Somali claims to rest. But lets look deeper...

Here are Jarso elders taking about leaving everything somali-related from clan titles, to somali culture. And there are striving/aiming at taking all land the inhabit on, even those where they are minority, to incorporate into Oromia.

"Jaarso wa mid. ... Waa Oromo. Dhaqanka ay oromo leedahay, baan leenahay. Dhaqan kale oo ka duwan ma lehi. Shalay ugaaz iyo garaad baan ku heshiiney, laakin somali ayaa leh. ... Afraan Qallo ba noo timid. Xaqiiqdi baa la na tusay. Oromia ayaan ku socona. Nin walbaa waxa la dhexgeyni Oromia. ... Arinto waa mid. Jarso waa mid."

Lets continue. Here's an oromo speaker, with an somali speaking Jarso audience, through an interpreter. Where they are making claims on somali lands, including Jigjiga and Hargeisa.

Another Jarso claiming oromo and speaking his (expansionist) mind and aspirations.

Here's an interview with Jarsos in the US from Jigjiga of Jinacsani origin. This was right before Abdi Illeys fall, where they were pleading with somalis to do something. This interview became somewhat well viewed/shared, especially on facebok, where many somalis first got to know more about hem. You would assume that these would be "more" somalis as they are from majority somali inhabited area, but no. They don't call themselves somalis, but a dual somali-oromo speaking people. Why are they not uttering, that they are somalis? (Nothing wrong with them claiming Oromo, but just pointing it out).

He's also dabbling in missformation with the audacity of claiming that Jarso being 100% in Jincasani and overwhelmingly majority of Tuli Guleed?!!?!? Langaab, langaab dhalay. I guess the reality proves otherwise... Why isin't Tuli Guleed in the hands of Jarsos? You'll never succed. A wikipedia search alone shows that Jinacsani has 65% oromos and 20% somalis. So, let's not talk about Tuli Guleed

Last edited:
Also, people like to complain about Faisal Roble. Here's the Jarso equivalent of him (Yuusuf Cabdulaahi Xasan) who only pops out during conflict times to claim "somali" to get sympathy. Not that they don't deserve sympathy for things they go through, but just coming out as somali, only during these times. A well known Jarso diaspora (unofficial) spokesperon

Here's him again. This time around blaming Geris on all problems Jarso is facing. His arguments is that they live with Jidwaaq, Samaaron, Ciise, Hawiye etc. but they don't have problems with them. And asking somalis to wake and se "who the problems are". So, let's break down what he is saying.

1. The majority of Jarso live with the somali clan of Geri and have history with mostly us, alone. The other clans only have minor jarso residents living there. Hence, why they rarely have any engagement of diagreements.
2. Why didn't he mention that, out of all areas the live, the only place that choose to break apart and join Oromia, was the town the Jarso and Geri live together (and not the other clans)?!?! Splitting families apart along two regions. Which explains the difference relationship between us and other clans. Also as I mentioned above, we have had differences in the past. But never fought like as, much of it to do with Oromia-related reasons....

Back to Faisal Roble, a well known Geri person. He can be quite problematic person, but many of the things he says are accurate. Ironically, the single thing that people get upset/triggered over is when he calls Jarso Oromo. Based on the footage above, should be enough to disqualify these counter arguments.

From my knowledge, I believe he belongs to Abo Yonis sub-clan of Geri, which as I said earlier was the same name of the village lost to Oromia. So his grievances against Jarsos, are rooted in many things including this one. Unlike the average Geri, he has also little to none Jarso extended relatives. Which also explains, why he speaks about the way he does. Overall, certain things he says can be disputed, but mostly its correct though.

It hard to find other things, as there has been many social media post now and during +- 2018 when it was at its worst, where they claim somali on social media post. But there are more I can find. Most of these media post are though in afaan oromo, in which they claim oromo. I can only speak little, but 99% of my family/relatives on both sides of my parents speak (hararghe) oromo (in addition to amharic).

Here's an Oromo doc about jinacsani. Imagine being named Ibrahim Dheere and talking about being Oromo... Also many of them have started embracing their newly acquired identity, including oromo clothes, customs etc. as shown in the video.

With that said, both communities has suffered much. So I have sympathy with all, and I don't blame anyone who side with Jarso. However, let us all be clear with who and what they are. In all honestly, there are a very very small Jarsos who still consider themselves somali, especially those married to somalis and those living in areas where there are few Jarso and majority Somali. Other than these, they are all Oromo 90+% of them.

Also in a previous post in this thread, someone said the governance/admin of Tuli Guleed is shared between a Geri governor and Jarso deputy governor. The only reason was not because of sharing after population share and have equal balance, but Cagjar forcing it that way. He's been very more friendly towards them, then us. (What we believe is to compensate for previous reg gov't ill treatment of them). Not that we were expecting much from him anyways... And Geri don't have the same representation in Jinacsani either.

Last edited:

GemState

36/21
VIP
Also, people like to complain about Faisal Roble. Here's the Jarso equivalent of him (Yuusuf Cabdulaahi Xasan) who only pops out during conflict times to claim "somali" to get sympathy. Not that they don't deserve sympathy for things they go through, but just coming out as somali, only during these times. A well known Jarso diaspora (unofficial) spokesperon

Here's him again. This time around blaming Geris on all problems Jarso is facing. His arguments is that they live with Jidwaaq, Samaaron, Ciise, Hawiye etc. but they don't have problems with them. And asking somalis to wake and se "who the problems are". So, let's break down what he is saying.

1. The majority of Jarso live with the somali clan of Geri and have history with mostly us, alone. The other clans only have minor jarso residents living there. Hence, why they rarely have any engagement of diagreements.
2. Why didn't he mention that, out of all areas the live, the only place that choose to break apart and join Oromia, was the town the Jarso and Geri live together (and not the other clans)?!?! Splitting families apart along two regions. Which explains the difference relationship between us and other clans. Also as I mentioned above, we have had differences in the past. But never fought like as, much of it to do with Oromia-related reasons....

Back to Faisal Roble, a well known Geri person. He can be quite problematic person, but many of the things he says are accurate. Ironically, the single thing that people get upset/triggered over is when he calls Jarso Oromo. Based on the footage above, should be enough to disqualify these counter arguments.

From my knowledge, I believe he belongs to Abo Yonis sub-clan of Geri, which as I said earlier was the same name of the village lost to Oromia. So his grievances against Jarsos, are rooted in many things including this one. Unlike the average Geri, he has also little to none Jarso extended relatives. Which also explains, why he speaks about the way he does. Overall, certain things he says can be disputed, but mostly its correct though.

It hard to find other things, as there has been many social media post now and during +- 2018 when it was at its worst, where they claim somali on social media post. But there are more I can find. Most of these media post are though in afaan oromo, in which they claim oromo. I can only speak little, but 99% of my family/relatives on both sides of my parents speak (hararghe) oromo (in addition to amharic).

Here's an Oromo doc about jinacsani. Imagine being named Ibrahim Dheere and talking about being Oromo... Also many of them have started embracing their newly acquired identity, including oromo clothes, customs etc. as shown in the video.

With that said, both communities has suffered much. So I have sympathy with all, and I don't blame anyone who side with Jarso. However, let us all be clear with who and what they are. In all honestly, there are a very very small Jarsos who still consider themselves somali, especially those married to somalis and those living in areas where there are few Jarso and majority Somali. Other than these, they are all Oromo 90+% of them.

Also in a previous post in this thread, someone said the governance/admin of Tuli Guleed is shared between a Geri governor and Jarso deputy governor. The only reason was not because of sharing after population share and have equal balance, but Cagjar forcing it that way. He's been very more friendly towards them, then us. (What we believe is to compensate for previous reg gov't ill treatment of them). Not that we were expecting much from him anyways... And Geri don't have the same representation in Jinacsani either.
Do you think ethnic federalism was bad for these border communities?

Do you think ethnic federalism was bad for these border communities?

That's a tough question and hard for me to answer. If we imagine the opposite, what would have happen if there were no ethnic regions? The movement of people has always happens, but Oromos stands out in Ethiopia, given that unlike other ethnic groups, their region streches from south, to east and west. Others have more "straigh-forward" borders. By making clear border now, it would be harder for them, to make claims on further lands, as a result of modern migration movements, that happens today.

Ethiopia's inability to protect its ethnic minorities is the ...

However, I do believe that most problems would be solved if there were genuine will from the border regions, in questions. If DDS-Oromia region admin, would have made a permanent solution, through the involvement of both local communities, things would be much better. However, if we only have a clan agreement, who is going to enforce a non-legal binding based on somali traditional law, whenever someone breaks it. Or if the two region make agreements by themselves, how is the local peoples concern being adressed. Question like these arises.

If these issues are solved, with intra-clan + supplied with a state coordinated agreement, that goes through all misunderstandings and historical events on the land (especially resources here), as well as creating a demarcated border, so no one makes further claims. It would've worked.

On the flip side, our previous clashes has not much been about land as it was never divided into regions. And therefore never put these (external) factors to the spot, like the identity of our people. We never had to worry about Jarsos claiming Oromo or Somali (also our clashes probably has driven them partly to Oromia, i personally believe since they had 2 identities and one they shared with us, naturally). Then, after a while of disagreements, we usually would just find common objective and move forward. Now that we are on two different regions, we want help from DDS and likewise them from Oromia, which is a never ending cycle.

So my bias answer would be: ethnic federalism is beneficiary overall for us Somalis from modern expansionism, but in reality the opposite would've caused less friction for border communities.

The party of the current regime, PP, is aiming at centralization of power - the goal is direct control. In the meanwhile, is to create new federal regions and abolish ethnic federalism. Which now at least 3 (?) new regions has been created under Abiy, and more will be established. They know how to take advantage of Somalis, due to tribal reasons, bound to happen either now och later, this will happen. If you look at social media, there're people wanting to create a Hawd region. Once this happen, the result will be the collapse of the rest of DDS. Though what's speaking against the abolishment of ethic federalism is the hardcore support of mainly Somalis, Oromos, Tigres and Afars. So there is a bumpy ride ahead, of Ethiopias future.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
@GaradShabeel We know the story of Jinacsani and how TPLF used Geri territory to bribe the Oromo. The Jaarso voted to join villages where they formed more than 50% of voters to Oromia. The Geri voted to remain part of the Somali region. The Geri that remained in Oromo majority areas mostly left, the Jaarso should have been kicked out of Tuli Guleed, Sariir Garaad etc...

Lacnatullahi on Ina Cagjar. Qaxbad qaxbad dhashay. He wants Geri to fight Oromia on their own.
The Absame political elite had better wake up and remove this fucker, walahi o bilahi Jidwaaq are next if Geri are allowed to be ethnically cleansed by Oromo.

Never has Darod lost an open battle to Oromo. We took more than 200,000 sq of land from them as recently as 1915. The only reason why Darod lost Jinacsani is because of whor*es like Ina Cagjar.

@GaradShabeel We know the story of Jinacsani and how TPLF used Geri territory to bribe the Oromo. The Jaarso voted to join villages where they formed more than 50% of voters to Oromia. The Geri voted to remain part of the Somali region. The Geri that remained in Oromo majority areas mostly left, the Jaarso should have been kicked out of Tuli Guleed, Sariir Garaad etc...

Lacnatullahi on Ina Cagjar. Qaxbad qaxbad dhashay. He wants Geri to fight Oromia on their own.
The Absame political elite had better wake up and remove this fucker, walahi o bilahi Jidwaaq are next if Geri are allowed to be ethnically cleansed by Oromo.

Never has Darod lost an open battle to Oromo. We took more than 200,000 sq of land from them as recently as 1915. The only reason why Darod lost Jinacsani is because of whor*es like Ina Cagjar.

Sax walaal, the entire referendum was nothing less of a mess. Just gerrymandering literally towns where they are/were majority, some of whom don’t even connect with each other. Wallahi, only if you find out the reality of the ramifications of that disastrous results (on a map, they fully haven’t enforced yet until this day) you won’t believe it. (The objective of Oromo deep state is to cut sitti, from rest of DDS - just look at the official map. It’s no longer a conspiracy theory…) So today, without any external help, we are forced to negotiation, regarding our land resources (that affects all of DDS residents). Which Cagjar endorsed, but without DDS involvement, so there’s an unequal balance of power. Their objective is to force us to make concessions now, especially with the dam building. Or instill fear that it may be to late, later on to make any request from our side. Nothing but, chaos. Our objective is to hold on as much as possible on the ground, until we get Somali leaders willing to make these tough decisions and help us make permanent decisions, that doesn’t leave us empty handed. Basically match the Oromo energy, facing us right now.

In retrospect, despite how authoritarian Abdi Iley was and the misunderstandings he created between us (and subsequent clashes, as he was being removed). He never let any Somali territory to be lost. Hell, despite the results of the referendum, he refused to hand over, and dared oromia to take these lands by force kkkk. Which is instead of us civilian fighting, it was between state police/forces on both regions. In the end Oromia just decided until to wait until a new DDS administration.

The same with Sitti, that TPLF handed Garba-Issa, Candhufo, etc to Afar despite 100% Somalis there. He deployed permant force there to prevent Afar take over. In an interview last month, this beta Cagjar said that those Somalis living there was no different than those in Addis. The audacity, I swear. And basically let go of the control of DDS lands, while acknowledging that Afar militias are, right now deep into sitti, outside these cities. Their suffering, including land loss and casualties is far more superior than our, at least 4x the causalties from official figures. He almost shat his pants, when pressed hard by the interviewer.

Nothing against OG, but we all felt like ONLF (the organization) was just there to protect the interest of their own people. Whenever us or Issas in sitti, they were more often than not quite or at most make vague statements. We also know that they don’t have much power now, but I refer to when they were the most powerful. However, in recent time they (Absame) have started to become more outspoken. Recent interviews the last couple of days, was vey promising to see. But we (all DDS Somalis) need strong leaders and collectively fight against Amhara/Oromo installed puppet regimes in jigjiga. Other than this, there is not much we can do, to prevent anything.

Last edited:
Sax walaal, the entire referendum was nothing less of a mess. Just gerrymandering literally towns where they are/were majority, some of whom don’t even connect with each other. Wallahi, only if you find out the reality of the ramifications of that disastrous results (on a map, they fully haven’t enforced yet until this day) you won’t believe it. (The objective of Oromo deep state is to cut sitti, from rest of DDS - just look at the official map. It’s no longer a conspiracy theory…) So today, without any external help, we are forced to negotiation, regarding our land resources (that affects all of DDS residents). Which Cagjar endorsed, but without DDS involvement, so there’s an unequal balance of power. Their objective is to force us to make concessions now, especially with the dam building. Or instill fear that it may be to late, later on to make any request from our side. Nothing but, chaos. Our objective is to hold on as much as possible on the ground, until we get Somali leaders willing to make these tough decisions and help us make permanent decisions, that doesn’t leave us empty handed. Basically match the Oromo energy, facing us right now.

In retrospect, despite how authoritarian Abdi Iley was and the misunderstandings he created between us (and subsequent clashes, as he was being removed). He never let any Somali territory to be lost. Hell, despite the results of the referendum, he refused to hand over, and dared oromia to take these lands by force kkkk. Which is instead of us civilian fighting, it was between state police/forces on both regions. In the end Oromia just decided until to wait until a new DDS administration.

The same with Sitti, that TPLF handed Garba-Issa, Candhufo, etc to Afar despite 100% Somalis there. He deployed permant force there to prevent Afar take over. In an interview last month, this beta Cagjar said through the upcoming national dialogue, he’ll se if he can do anything. He almost shat his pants, when pressed hard by the interviewer.

Nothing against OG, but we all felt like ONLF (the organization) was just there to protect the interest of their own people. Whenever us or Issas in sitti, they were more often than not quite or at most make vague statements. We also know that they don’t have much power now, but I refer to when they were the most powerful. However, in recent time they (Absame) have started to become more outspoken. Recent interviews the last couple of days, was vey promising to see. But we (all DDS Somalis) need strong leaders and collectively fight against Amhara/Oromo installed puppet regimes in jigjiga. Other than this, there is not much we can do, to prevent anything.
Abdi Iley, like Cagjar, had one hand tied behind his back. For example, it was Cabdi Iley who signed the Ciise Kebeles to Afar region at TPLF's request so this ain't all on Cagjar. Cagjar cannot do anything about it as orders come from Addis to leave the matter in the hands of the Afar Federal Region which they are part of. Sitti is not the issue but the Kebeles handed over to Afar. People criticise or support folk like Iley assuming they are independent leaders, they are not.

TPLF played divide and conquer allowing ethnic conflicts to simmer and only stepping in when they got out of hand hence why Iley had a relative free hand. However, they and Abiye are the same when it comes to Somalis, we are a second tier Kilil in Ethiopia and other ethnicities like the Afar and Oromo will be favoured. For instance, the Afars were pivotal in the fight against Tigrays, you think Somalis can lobby Abiye to make the Garba Ciise, Candhufo conflict a fair one? No, the Federal Army steps in to ensure that the conflict is handled by Afar Liyuu solely because these Kebeles are part of Afar Region hence the displacement of Somalis. Somali Liyuu take their orders ultimately from Addis, they are not allowed to fight in the Afar Region. If the Federal Army tells them to jump, they jump....

Forget the Liyuu, Ciise in Sitti can easily be armed by Djibouti but they cannot move a finger because it would be interference in the affairs of Ethiopia and the Ethiopian aim to ensure Somalis stay on one side of the strategic railway/road connecting Djibouti port and inland Ethiopia. Afars are benefiting from this to reclaim land near the Awash river which Ciise had expanded into decades ago.

As for the Oromos, they are high on nationalism atm. Abiye will not reign them in for Somalis. Realpolitik dictates this. At the end of the day, Kilil Somalis, be they leaders like Cagjar or a frontier farmer or Geeljire are all living under Gumeeysi irrespective of Qabil. Their fate depends on the whims of who sits in Addis, be they Tigray; Oromo or Habasha.

Trending

Latest posts