Mixed Somalis

bohom

Here to chill
I never expected you to be half Italian lol, you seemed so somali.
Alhamdullilah I've had a balanced upbringing by being around both cultures and experiencing the different facets of each people's traditions. I love it, its like you get to be part of two groups and it widens your worldview and your outlook on reality.

bohom

Here to chill
are you culturally close with your italian side? do you speak italian? are you catholic or muslim?
Alhamdulilah I'm muslim, yes I'm culturally close to my Italian side. However, my Italian is not developed. Since my parents live in Switzerland, Italian is only a minor language there.

bohom

Here to chill
How did your parents meet?
It started with my grandparents moving to Switzerland in the 70s, my grandfather wanted to set up an Investment firm in Zurich. He worked his ass off, one of the most hardest working people I know. Doing everything he can to make sure his children (my father) would be able to carry his legacy on. Fast forward to the late 90s when my father decided to go to Milan on a weekend to get a break from the stress, he then met my mother on that weekend, the rest is history.

Aseer

A man without a 🐫 won't be praised in afterlife
VIP
@bohom so which side do you resonate more and which language are you more fluent in? Also have you ever been to Somalia or planning to go?

It started with my grandparents moving to Switzerland in the 70s, my grandfather wanted to set up an Investment firm in Zurich. He worked his ass off, one of the most hardest working people I know. Doing everything he can to make sure his children (my father) would be able to carry his legacy on. Fast forward to the late 90s when my father decided to go to Milan on a weekend to get a break from the stress, he then met my mother on that weekend, the rest is history.
Was it hard growing up half Somali? Do you look Somali or White? Or Pakistani/Indian like the guy in OP?

bohom

Here to chill
@Aseer I can't really pick a side, as I said before. I'm equally both and don't want to disrespect either side. It helps that I'm muslim though, so probably Somalia edges it. I know random Somali words here and there, but linguistically I'm whitewashed.

@error1 I can't really place a finger on what category I fit in, if I'm being completely honest. Growing up was actually ok because people from all around the world send their children to Swiss international schools, so it was a very diverse upbringing for me.

@Aseer No problem, ask anything you want. I'm glad to share my unique experiences with those interested.

@Aseer I can't really pick a side, as I said before. I'm equally both and don't want to disrespect either side. It helps that I'm muslim though, so probably Somalia edges it. I know random Somali words here and there, but linguistically I'm whitewashed.

@error1 I can't really place a finger on what category I fit in, if I'm being completely honest. Growing up was actually ok because people from all around the world send their children to Swiss international schools, so it was a very diverse upbringing for me.

@Aseer No problem, ask anything you want. I'm glad to share my unique experiences with those interested.
Is your mother Muslim?

Aseer

VIP

Do you ever intend on visiting somalia one day?

Aseer

VIP
@error1 Yes, but she doesn't wear the hijab or "follow the extra sunnahs" as one would say.

@Aseer My dad probably wouldn't let me if I told him.
So how is it like being half somali in Italy, what were the reactions and also when your father and mother were getting married where there racist sentiments coming from the Italian side?

bohom

Here to chill
So how is it like being half somali in Italy, what were the reactions and also when your father and mother were getting married where there racist sentiments coming from the Italian side?
They don't live Italy, they live in Switzerland and got married in Switzerland. My mother comes from a good family background with her parents being well-cultured and travelled, so there's been no problems really.

They don't live Italy, they live in Switzerland and got married in Switzerland. My mother comes from a good family background with her parents being well-cultured and travelled, so there's been no problems really.
Do you look more Somali or more Italian in your opinion? Can people tell you're mixed?

bohom

Here to chill
@bohom what language do you speak since your from Switzerland?
My dad speaks English, French, and German fluently. A bit of Somali and Italian.
My mom speaks English and Italian fluently. A bit of German and French.

I speak fluent English with a bit of german.

Trending

Latest posts